It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Shows Some Evidence Of Human Precognitive Powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well here is an interesting article about a study done on the human brain and its precog abilities .

A new scientific study shows that humans may have some ability to predict the future

. A research paper titled Feeling the Future from Cornell Professor Daryl Bem shows some statistically significant results coming from a series of experiments empirically testing the human mind powers of premonition and precognition. If his results are replicated elsewhere, it may change the way researchers look at the brain, its perception of time, and exactly what its limitations are

The science is sound enough that Bem's paper found a home in the prestigious Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, which will publish the piece shortly. It also received a fairly lengthy write-up in Psychology Today.

Those are only a few paragraphs from the article , if you are interested head over and read the whole thing.

Link to article : io9.com...

I wonder if this means we are nearing the time when humans extraordinary abilities will be taken out of the pseudo-science section and might actually be scientifically tested and confirmed or denied .

What do you think
?

Just in case , I posed this in the science section instead of the paranormal because this about scientific research into the paranormal

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
i knew you were going to post this lol
you knew i was going to say that
i knew you were going to say that
the implecations are astounding

good find star and flag

xp

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Schizophrenia (pronounced /ˌskɪtsɵˈfrɛniə/ or /ˌskɪtsɵˈfriːniə/) is a mental disorder characterized by a disintegration of the process of thinking and of emotional responsiveness.[1] It most commonly manifests as auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Canadas finest

i wounder if you got my precognition joke?
im not metally defective
your not laughing are you
but i already knew you were going to post that
lol

imagine the problems of people knowing whats about to happen

xp

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ironically, I knew exactly what was going to be in this thread before I opened it: PURE GARBAGE.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think the research done here and by the Army and by folks like Rupert Sheldrake have pretty much confirmed that there is some extremely small ability in people to get a sense for the future, if not exactly "see" it. I sometimes wonder if this is the tiny little advantage that we have as humans that allowed us to survive while our other fellow hominids died out.

Still, the effect is so incredibly tiny and random that you sure can't make any money with it. At least not that anyone is saying.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I am afraid that the experiments simply showed the pattern matching ability of the brain: the test subjects simply recognized a pattern of curtains that had erotic pictures behind them.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
Ironically, I knew exactly what was going to be in this thread before I opened it: PURE GARBAGE.

Umm so I guess a scientific article about something that you consider to be impossible is pure garbage ? Or did I misunderstand Your post ? Or are you telling me that an article about humans precog abilities is pure garbage ? If You would be so kind and elaborate on Your oh so informative and intellectual post I would be very thankful.
edit on 9/11/10 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
I am afraid that the experiments simply showed the pattern matching ability of the brain: the test subjects simply recognized a pattern of curtains that had erotic pictures behind them.

How can somebody recognize a pattern that is hidden to him and is (should be) random ? What I mean is , they had no idea where the pictures would be . A 53% chance is a small difference to a 50/50 probability , and I agree with that , that is why I am not to excited with the results of this specific test for now , what I am excited about is that maybe some more research (open to public as opposed to black projects) is going to happen and then we can see if this is just pure coincidence or if the human brain is really capable of some precog abilities .

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Good find and I'm glad to see this.

The fact is many people will have a tough time accepting these things because it doesn't fit into a materialistic world view. Even though science doesn't support materialism in any way, shape or form.

Of course things like ESP, remote viewing, precognition, psychic ability and more should exist. These are just non-local features of macroscopic objects.

There isn't a hidden variable between the quantum and classical worlds. This just means we are really big quantum objects vs. small objects like an electron. So non locality in large objects will not be as profound as they are in small objects because of things like decoherence. Non locality is expressed in big quantum objects through what we call psi.

Here's a good video from Dean Radin talking about Psi.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 10-11-2010 by Matrix Rising because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Word..and I'm using my predicting abilities to predict this as bull#.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thill

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Umm so I guess a scientific article about something that you consider to be impossible is pure garbage ? Or did I misunderstand Your post ? Or are you telling me that an article about humans precog abilities is pure garbage ? If You would be so kind and elaborate on Your oh so informative and intellectual post I would be very thankful.
edit on 9/11/10 by Thill because: (no reason given)

You poor chap. You're another one of those people who read the headline, skim through the article, and skip over the entire source.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I think that some people have taken an ideological response to this paper and have chosen to challenge a professor from Cornell university who is soon to publish a peer-reviewed paper.

This paper is over sixty pages long and is a PDF document. What is clear is that in 1989 a meta-analysis of all forced-choice precognition experiments in English-speakinglanguage journals between 1935 and 1977 was published in 1989 and used 309 experiments conducted by 62 different researchers and over 50,000 particpants.
The fact that the effect is small but significant is not as interesting to me as whether or not it can be enhanced as has been put forward by seers, mystics and occultists over decades.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Throughout time scientists have always faced situations in which there is something going on and they have no idea what could be causing it. That's what methodical research and experiments are for: taking what we know and finding out more (or even taking what we think we know and finding out it's not what we thought).

So if there's some kind of data that these people are working with, don't discount it just because it's hard to believe. True science should be set up in a way that makes what happens replicable. So instead of saying that this is false because it doesn't match up with your view of the world, if you really want to know if something is bs try it out for yourself.

Science!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I wonder just how statistically significant the results were. I mean, there's a big difference from being just over the margin, to really failing to reject the hypothesis...

I'd be curious to see what tests, what kinds of folks were in the study, etc.

I don't doubt the findings, but I'm curious as to the variables....and I'm intrigued by the idea of future research to isolate those variables.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

Maybe there was a pattern. If a computer selected the random numbers, then it was definitely a pattern.

top topics

join