It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low flying Chinook in Ga.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I see another thread started about low flying helicopters in Texas,but this is not about Texas it is what happened to me 35 miles east of Atlanta,Ga. The incident that happened to me was something very odd, because I have seen military helicopters quite frequently as they go from bases (I assume) in central Ga. to other bases either in or around N.Georgia or Alabama. What is very unusual is to hear a Chinook fly by at night. I say it was a Chinook because they do have an unmistakeable sound, because if you have heard one you know what I am talking about. Okay it was Nov.3,2010 when I was taking the dog out for the last time before I went to bed.It was around 9:30 pm and I heard the unmistakeable Chinook rotor sound. What happened next was very strange, because I know they do fly at night I have just never saw one fly a little over tree top level at night.That isn't the most strange thing that happened.

The stranger thing was when this Chinook came over it shook my whole house, but that isn't the strangest thing from this night. As I heard it coming over I was in awe at what happened next, because as it flew over I could not see anything of this copter except a red light that didn't even flash it was a solid red light. Now this is going to sound rediculous but I could not see any of the helicopter itself only the one red light.I didn't have a phone or camera with me because at night it is fairly event free except the occasional plane taking off from Hartsfield/Jackson International in Atlanta, so I know it was not a plane. If it was I would have been in trouble if it was tree top level. I guess what I am asking is if there were any members in and around Atlanta area that may have seen this same thing. I know it sounds far fetched but I couldn't see this thing only heard it. Has anyone else ever had a similar situation happen to them.
edit on 7-11-2010 by tsurfer2000h because: missed word

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
It will probably be covered in meta-materials,

see here...

www.nature.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

My guess is that you saw a Chinook crew flying with NVG's. The low level and lack of strobes are a good indication. Aircrew needs to practice this from time to time because it's not easy to do. The red lights are most likely interior lights - the rest of the crew needs to see and red light doesn't mess with your night vision as much.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'm located about 70 miles south of Nashville, I have seen an increase in helicopter and C130 activity all this week.. Here's a video I took a while back.

edit on 11/7/2010 by GammaRayBurst because: Fix video

edit on 11/7/2010 by GammaRayBurst because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jawsismyfish

It could be but I should have been able to see the copter body,but I did not see a body only the red light. Like I said this thing was a little over tree top level and it was over a pretty populated area.I would think they wouldn't be that low over a populated area. I don't know maybe they can.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I was living 60-70 miles south of Nashville. 1997. Daylight sighting by of UFO by five of us, followed by a screaming military jet. That night at midnight, I was awoken by the heat and extreme light of a Laser( help) light source hitting my body, in bed. It was a black helicopter, ten feet outside my bedroom window. It was witnessed by 150 people in my community. I really don't know if this is relative to what you're asking, but just want you to know it does happen, you are not alone, and it is VERY scary.

P.S. None of us heard this helicopter coming.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GammaRayBurst

Hey GammaRayBurst--were we neighbors?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Just to add this to my post and before the comments about tree top level it may have been a little higher than tree top level but none the less it was very low for this thing to be flying.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'm in Acworth. I've noticed an increase in helicopter activity over the past few months, but I haven't put too much thought into it though and just attributed it to training. I'll certainly be more aware from now on through.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
You probably saw a Winder based Chinook crew working up for an Iraq deployment?

'Chopper unit to see Iraq duty'

www.onlineathens.com...

'A Winder-based Army National Guard air assault company will spend this month training in preparation to deploy to Iraq this December as part Operation New Dawn...'

Absolutely nothing unusual in what you saw. This type of helo NVG training in the UK is very common. I've been overflown by RAF Chinooks at night where all I could make out was one single light source.

Why not contact them and find out? They have to comply with strict regulations for air safety and especially height regulations over built up areas.

www.faa.gov...

TJ

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I reside in Middle Georgia and I have seen/heard many more huge jets and helicopters in the past two weeks than I have heard over my neighborhood in decades! I am about 20 miles from Robins AFB, so I am used to hearing/seeing air traffic, but lately it has been greatly increased. I have observed helicopters flying lower than I have ever seen them before, although this has been during daylight hours, so I can't really compare them to the "stealth" copters mentioned above. The night air traffic is particularly busy, I can readily testify (i.e. huge jets rumbling overhead frequently wake me up). Any ideas on what is going on, and is this happening all over, I wonder?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ui_Niall
I reside in Middle Georgia and I have seen/heard many more huge jets and helicopters in the past two weeks than I have heard over my neighborhood in decades! I am about 20 miles from Robins AFB, so I am used to hearing/seeing air traffic, but lately it has been greatly increased. I have observed helicopters flying lower than I have ever seen them before, although this has been during daylight hours, so I can't really compare them to the "stealth" copters mentioned above. The night air traffic is particularly busy, I can readily testify (i.e. huge jets rumbling overhead frequently wake me up). Any ideas on what is going on, and is this happening all over, I wonder?

Why make it into a conspiracy theory? Your forces are involved in combat operations and they have to train and train hard. Check the locals news for mention of exercises or deployments. Visit the websites of local units and contact them if you are concerned about low flying. Check out your local Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs).

Far too many people jump to the incorrect conclusion. It is the same in the UK.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

TJ

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
You're probably correct, although I don't seem to remember such increased activity in past times of conflict. Things have changed a lot in the past few years, however, so perhaps I can no longer compare current standards with those of the past. No matter what it is, it IS interesting!

(However, the jets waking me up at night is NOT interesting...)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ui_Niall

I live in south Georgia about an hour inland from Brunswick. I live outside of town on a family owned farm. In the last month I have noticed an increase in jet fly-overs. From 1 a week to one a day. And about 30 minutes ago an unmarked black helicopter flew over my house, made a pedal turn over the field across the road and flew back the way they came. I'm wondering if these choppers have anything to do with the FEMA camp that is in McRae, GA. Only 25 minutes or so further down Hwy 341.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onet Wosix
It will probably be covered in meta-materials,

see here...

www.nature.com...

cool story.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I Live in New York and today i also saw a low flying Chinook go by my house (Residential area) at about 2:30P.m. Mabey it was going to Fort drum up North but there is many other ways to get there. Is flying over Residential areas illegal for any military operated plane? please reply because my mom was freaking out
edit on 11/8/11 by nyydestiny08 because: Misspelled something

new topics

top topics

join