It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible X-Class Solar Flare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
LinkSolar flare 1121 is not on the earth facing side just yet, but it keeps on growing. Solar cycle 24 may be taking us on a long bumpy ride a head. Hopefully, we'll get a 24 hour notice before impact. I don't think there is anything to worry about just yet, but I am getting a 10000 watt generator for my Christmas present, just in case.

FLARE 0-24 hr 24-48 hr
CLASS M 85 % 85 %
CLASS X 20 % 20 %

NOAA forecasters estimate a 20% chance of X-class flares from sunspot 1121 during the next 24 hours. Credit: SDO/HMI. 2-day movie: 7 MB mpg

M5 SOLAR FLARE: Active sunspot 1121 has unleashed one of the brightest x-ray solar flares in years, an M5.4-class eruption at 15:36 UT on Nov. 6th. Radiation from the flare created a wave of ionization in Earth's upper atmosphere that altered the propagation of low-frequency radio waves. There was, however, no bright CME (plasma cloud) hurled in our direction, so the event is unlikely to produce auroras in the nights ahead. This is the third M-flare in as many days from this increasingly active sunspot. So far none of the eruptions has been squarely Earth-directed, but this could change in the days ahead as the sun's rotation turns the active region toward our planet. Now might be a good time to sign up for space weather alerts.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Just curious as to why you didn't just reply to the other
post you already posted and didn't post anything on hmmmmmm.....

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Your previous minimalist thread is doing much better

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
good info, I will dive right in.

BTW, did you know your other thread took off without you.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ambient moon

Yeah I am all set up,.
got the food ,
the power
the survival gear
water,.
All I need now is the blackout.
Ya know you could at least say hi to everyone in your mystery post

edit on 7-11-2010 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I did not know that I posted it. oops... This is my first time posting on ATS.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Khaaaaaan!!
good info, I will dive right in.

BTW, did you know your other thread took off without you.

worth keeping a close eye on ....

no i dont think he`\ she did but yeah it was way funnier

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
To someone who actually understands this stuff, these constant threads about possible solar flares are the equivalent of making a new thread everytime there are clouds in the sky. The threads created everytime there is a flare are like creating a thread everytime it rains.
If I created a thread everytime I saw clouds or everytime it rained, you'd probably think I'm over-worrying wouldn't you?
We have seen far more spectacular events in the past, the sun is on a 11 year cycle at it has happened every 11 years or so for millenia. We will more than likely get a Carrington level event at some point and it will cause problems, but worrying everytime the Sun burps is just unnecessary.
Cast your mind back to 2003:

Kicked up at about 6 a.m. EST (1100 UT) Tuesday, the major solar outburst came on the heels of four other flares late last week and over the weekend. All were considered fairly severe, but the latest eruption makes the others seem like solar sneezes.

Tuesday's blast is classified as an X17, where X denotes a major flare and larger numbers are stronger. That compares to two flare-ups over the weekend that were rated less than X2.

"The flare [Tuesday] may be the third strongest X-flare on record," said Paal Brekke, deputy project scientist for the SOHO spacecraft, which first spotted the event.
www.space.com...

We're still here arn't we? I don't recall us being flung back into the dark ages, or did I miss it?
edit on 7-11-2010 by AgentSmith because: toned it down a little, in a bad mood sorry!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Well, one more question to you. How are you able to start a thread
without having the required 20 posts first? I really don't understand
this site sometimes.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ambient moon
I did not know that I posted it. oops... This is my first time posting on ATS.
no worries
The thread has already been removed

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
May i ask why you need a 10000 watt generator,What are you doing? running a welding shop or some indoor gardening.If the grid fails ,so do the fuel pumps .maybe get some 44 gallon drums to put under the tree as well

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
We have a Solar Activity 2010 (Fragile Earth) thread. If we all gather in the same place for discussion and updates its so much easier.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by endtimer

Well, one more question to you. How are you able to start a thread
without having the required 20 posts first? I really don't understand
this site sometimes.

The OP's profile says 31 posts.
All is good.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Did anyone notice on the soho sight that the sun spots jump up and down like they are filmed from 2 perspectives?
I have video capture of this but can't figure out how to post it.

new topics

top topics

join