It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"How Could You Be Anything But Agnostic?"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This video explains Agnosticism pretty well:

I believe that everyone is born agnostic, but then they get a choice. You can choose to be a theist, atheist, or stay agnostic. But still everyone is truly agnostic at heart. Even if you dont like to admit it, all you theists have doubted your god; and all you atheists might consider gods at one point.
In the end, we can only say "I dunno".

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I don't care if there's a creator of this and any other universe.
I really don't care.

What category do I fit in?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

Yep. Atheists are basing their decision on a belief/faith just as much as any theist, as there is no true evidence, no way of knowing. Anyway why would you want to say for certain? Whenever you decide that's it, I know, learning ends.

I'm not ripping on Atheists btw. I'm a long time Agnostic, I don't believe in mainstream organized religion, but still I don't know.
edit on 6-11-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: ...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyBluePegasus
I don't care if there's a creator of this and any other universe.
I really don't care.

What category do I fit in?

You're just bro, brah.
2nd

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SkyBluePegasus

Probably agnostic... or simply nonreligious.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I tried to not be agnostic - I just couldn't get into organized religion. So I remain agnostic and yes I have to agree - I believe we are born that way - then we seek and come to our conclusions.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicolee123nd

Probably agnostic... or simply nonreligious.

I love it when I don't fit into a category. It makes me feel all non-conformist.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Atheist all the way here.

If perhaps there is something "higher" than us, we could not understand it at this point, so I disbelieve in everything we have come up with. I believe in a higher consciousness but that has nothing to do with a higher being, power or spirit.

Agnostics, I respect, at least they can admit they do not know, but religious people just follow other people that have no idea like themselves. They should think for themselves rather than just trusting ones opinion. We all have the same brains and the same insight into "god."

Athesim is not a religion or whatever you want to call it, I choose to be good because that is what I would like others to do to me. I do not need to be told how to behave from a mythical creature, I have a brain and can do that for myself.

We're all atheists, I just go one god farther than the rest.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
How about:

When we first return to this world, physically, as babies, we are born Gnostic(Nous: Conscious Faith in Divinity); and then as our personality grows and begins to reincorporate our egos from our past lives, we gradually become either:

Theistic(Pistis: Unconscious, blind faith in Divinity), Atheistic(Eikasia: Unconscious, blind faith in the absence of Divinity); or, Agnostic.

It seems that the level of consciousness of Agnostic thought, could either belong to the Eikasia level, or to the Dianoia level, depending on the individual. However, attributing the Dianoia level of consciousness to Agnostic thought may be a bit of a stretch.

The four main levels of consciousness as taught in Gnosticism(Eikasia, Pistis, Dianoia, and Nous), may or may not directly correspond to Atheism, Theism, Agnosticism, and Gnosticism.

So please forgive me, if my theory which is a combination of Eikasia, Pistis, and (to a very small degree)Dianoetic thought, is not totally correct.

See also: Genotype, Paratype, and Phenotype

edit on 6-11-2010 by Tamahu because: edited text

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I think "God" was a way for early man to explain things they didn't know and it morphed into multiple Gods/Goddesses that are characteristic of what one is lacking in their life that they need. I'm atheist and atheist I shall stay. I believe humans are wired to believe for the most part but that science will one day explain it due to electricity and energy that body naturally produces. We are all connected but it has nothing to do with a man on a cloud but chemistry, biology, etc.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I kind of agree with you on the higher consciousness but what's to say that is not what someone who is religeous would refer to as God.

Ultimately there is only one truth and it will always remain true regardless of what labels we use to define it.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by whynow
I think "God" was a way for early man to explain things they didn't know and it morphed into multiple Gods/Goddesses that are characteristic of what one is lacking in their life that they need. I'm atheist and atheist I shall stay. I believe humans are wired to believe for the most part but that science will one day explain it due to electricity and energy that body naturally produces. We are all connected but it has nothing to do with a man on a cloud but chemistry, biology, etc.

You don't know where chemistry and biology will lead us though.

The trouble is with most people is that they feel the need to look at others for inspiration. Scientists and celebrities are the modern gods, at least that's how it looks from where I am. People want scientists to give them answers, people want to be like celebrities.

Look inside yourself if you want answers.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Your an apathiest?

*wink*

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001
reply to post by predator0187

I kind of agree with you on the higher consciousness but what's to say that is not what someone who is religeous would refer to as God.

Ultimately there is only one truth and it will always remain true regardless of what labels we use to define it.

I always have this discussion with religious people. If they believe in a higher consciousness then they are not religious. There is no bending religious rules, they believe in the god of the bible and if you have another take on that you should not be in that religion.

Those people are spirtitual, not religious in my books. People nowadays pick and choose things from religion to believe but that isn't the way religion is supposed to be.

Spirtiuality fits in the same category to me as agnostic, an intelligent one. It's those drones that the church turns out I feel bad for.

"we are not worthy."

Pred...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

Your an apathiest?

*wink*

Very good.

I can't wait to tell all my friends about my new label.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

This is a great video. Thanks! I agree. Even people that claim to be other than agnostic are by definition agnostic (without knowledge). Enough of stating the obvious.

I find it funny that any other view requires proof. I never had to convince anyone that I don't know. I find it very liberating to be comfortable' not knowing' about the nature of god or lack there of. I don't like the possibility that this is all there is, but I have to consider the possibility. This does not leave a window for the atheist to convince me of there point of view. I don't care which little scientific facts they throw around because even Einstein, Hawkings, Darwin and the countless other's understanding are limited by their own admission.

The only rational way to approach life is to consider and even entertain ideas with out being limited by dogma of theist or the stubborn certitude of the atheist.

I've learned so much more since I've learned how to think.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Just to clarify.

Agnostics don't know about any gods. Zeus, Amun-Ra, Odin, Jupiter, etc.

They may or may not exist?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yep. Atheists are basing their decision on a belief/faith just as much as any theis

Spoken like someone who is entirely ignorant of the atheist position. Atheism is merely a lack of belief in God. One is entirely capable of being both agnostic and an atheist and I myself am. Atheism and theism deal with the issue of BELIEF while gnostic and agnostic deal with knowledge. One can be an agnostic-theist or an agnostic-atheist or a gnostic-theist or a gnostic-atheist. I do agree that gnostic-atheists, those who claim to know that there are NO Gods whatsoever DO require faith however I have never once encountered a single atheist defending that position.

I agree with the OP that all are agnostic but think he/she has been misinformed about what the atheist position is.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think it's neurologically impossible for a person to truly be an atheist.
You might not wake up in the morning if that were the case.

Just my non-expert opinion.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Whatever by nature has the use of reason has the power of judgment over certain matters. I have desires and choices and act upon those choices, I know what I want and I know what I do not want, that is the proof that I am not agnostic, since agnostic means "I don't know", if I knew nothing I would not be able to write a single sentence to you nor would you be able to understand it. If agnosticism means "I don't know the supreme truth" then I'll admit I do have some agnosticism since I do not know everything, but neither do I know nothing.

-Consolation of Philosophy

<<   2 >>

join