It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M5 SOLAR FLARE!!!! November 06, 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Okay, this solar cycle is starting to heat up!

Active sunspot 1121 has just unleashed one of the brightest x-ray solar flares in years, an M5.4-class eruption at 15:36 UT on Nov. 6th.

Radiation from the flare created a wave of ionization in Earth's upper atmosphere that altered the propagation of low-frequency radio waves. There was, however, no bright CME (plasma cloud) hurled in our direction, so the event is unlikely to produce auroras in the nights ahead. This is the third M-flare in as many days, and the strongest, from this increasingly active sunspot. So far none of the eruptions has been squarely Earth-directed, but this could change in the days ahead as the sun's rotation turns the active region toward our planet

So, it seems that we are just beginning to see some of the spectacular flares our sun is capable of!
Question is, is everybody ready? Do you think that we will see any major effects from the sunspot turning our way?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/98f352d1af97.jpg[/atsimg]

Beautiful, ain't it?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
haha seems like this was the only big event today

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Does anyone know if a sun flare have enough power to "burn" the earth.. set buildings and people on fire, or is this whole sunspot thing just about lights in the sky and in worst case a EMP burst ?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
For some perspective on m-class flares: en.wikipedia.org...

Solar flares are classified as A, B, C, M or X according to the peak flux (in watts per square meter, W/m2) of 100 to 800 picometer X-rays near Earth, as measured on the GOES spacecraft. Each class has a peak flux ten times greater than the preceding one, with X class flares having a peak flux of order 10−4 W/m2. Within a class there is a linear scale from 1 to 9, so an X2 flare is twice as powerful as an X1 flare, and is four times more powerful than an M5 flare. The more powerful M and X class flares are often associated with a variety of effects on the near-Earth space environment.

And from NOAA:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ccaa8937969.png[/atsimg]

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Here is a little info to help you out! From wikipedia:

In recent history, the largest flare occurred in September 1, 1859, named the Carrigton event. A flare was visible naked-eye and produced stunning auroras down to tropical latitudes such as Cuba or Hawaii, and set telegraph systems on fire.[7] In modern times, the largest solar flare measured with instruments occurred in November 4, 2003 (initially measured at X28 and later upgraded to X45).[8][9] Other large solar flares also occurred in April 2, 2001 (X20), October 28, 2003 (X17) and September 7, 2005 (X17).[10] In 1989, during former solar cycle 22 two large flares occurred in March, 6 (X15) and August, 16 (X20) causing disruptions in electric grids and computer systems

For a complete list of the most powerful solar flares ever recorded:www.spaceweather.com...

So yes, if it is extreme enough and of the right class, they can do massive damage!

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Hmm.. ye but dont answer my qustion, I would like to know if the sun could produce a flare that scorch the earth.. im talking fire and burning and enough heat to melt your face off.
I dont fear being without electricity.. I fear being melted

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
thats funny, i was listening to the radio earlier here in the uk and it cut out for a few seconds? Could this be to do with the flare? It was around 5oclock uk time.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pkpuck

There was coronal mass ejected into space, but it may not be directed toward Earth. This flare did cause an R2-level radio blackout on the sunlit side of Earth (this means that shortwave radio signals were "blocked" for about an hour).

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

That wiki article is not entirely accurate in saying that solar flares have or do cause problems on Earth's surface. A solar flare is an outburst of electromagnetic radiation (radio waves, visible light, x-rays, etc.). For the most part that radiation (except for the wavelengths of visible light and greater) is completely absorbed by the atmosphere before it reaches the surface. Since the upper atmosphere (the ionosphere) has a great influence on the transmission of radio waves, satellite and other forms of long range radio communications can be affected but power grids are not.

It is CMEs (coronal mass ejections), often confused with solar flares, which can produce the geomagnetic storms which can indeed affect power grids and any other systems which employ long electrical conductors (telephone lines, fuel pipelines). While CMEs are often associated with solar flares it is not always the case. Solar flares are also omnidirectional, radiating in all directions from their source at the speed of light. If a flare occurs at any location on the side of the Sun facing Earth its effects will be felt eight minutes later. CMEs, on the other hand, are directional and their products travel much slower than the speed of light. In order for the Earth to be affected the CME must be properly "aimed" and it usually takes a few days for the CME to reach Earth. Even when a CME hits our magnetosphere its effects depend on its characteristics.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

edit on 6-11-2010 by sheeplemama_awakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

So yes, if it is extreme enough and of the right class, they can do massive damage!

Well, I assumed this was answer enough for you, but it seems you are asking sci-fi type questions. I guess my answer to your question would be: YES! The sun can scorch the earth and burn your eyeballs right outta your skull. Feel better now?

The only problem is, this solar flare ain't gonna' do it for you! But if you don't mind eyeball- scorching in slow motion, just go out into the sunshine every day for the rest of your life, stay out for an average of 6 hours, no sunscreen, no protection, and check back with me in about 15 years. You should be well-done then. Good luck with that!

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It is in this wiki article that the most recent explanation for both is explained:

Recent scientific research has shown that the phenomenon of magnetic reconnection is responsible for CME and solar flares. Magnetic reconnection is the name given to the rearrangement of magnetic lines of force when two oppositely directed magnetic fields are brought together. This rearrangement is accompanied with a sudden release of energy stored in the original oppositely directed fields.
On the sun, magnetic reconnection may happen on solar arcades—a series of closely occurring loops of magnetic lines of force. These lines of force quickly reconnect into a low arcade of loops, leaving a helix of magnetic field unconnected to the rest of the arcade. The sudden release of energy in this reconnection causes the solar flare. The unconnected magnetic helical field and the material that it contains may violently expand outwards forming a CME.[2]
This also explains why CMEs and solar flares typically erupt from what are known as the active regions on the sun where magnetic fields are much stronger on average

That is precisely what has been happening during this solar cycle, is it not? All of the magnetic filaments that have arisen and collapsed are causing flares and CME's. It is not very often that you will find flares without CME's during these types of events. They pretty much go together in a cycle like this.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There have been a number of flares with no associated CME's and vice versa this year. It seems the recent M5.4 flare from Region 11121 would be a good example of the former. It occurred around 11/06/2010 15:27UTC. Here is the view from STEREO B. If there had been a CME it would appear in the lower right portion of the image.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b3389b5593c6.gif[/atsimg]

There does not seem to be any evidence of a filament existing in Region 11121 before the flare either so it would not seem to be the result of a collapse (filaments appear as dark bands). But the disruption of the magnetic field lines is clearly visible.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee2ee8eb3434.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for posting the animation! I have really only just started learning about the solar cycle and it's effects on us, less than 2 years. That is not very long, there are endless amounts of info to absorb.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour

Hmm.. ye but dont answer my qustion, I would like to know if the sun could produce a flare that scorch the earth.. im talking fire and burning and enough heat to melt your face off.
I dont fear being without electricity.. I fear being melted

i hear what your saying but please don't take losing electricity lightly, after spending 9 days with no electricity after hurricane wilma, i can safely say a month with no electricity in the u.s.a would be a chaos you do not want to experience.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Gixxer

i hear what your saying

Guess you dont.. you completely ignore my question

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Hello! New guy here! I've constantly read articles all over ATS for about a year now, and it seams to be getting busier and busier here, so felt it time to sign up.

The sun is definitely becoming more active recently, and I must admit, if there's anything that worries me with this planet and its future, its the monstrous power the sun has, and its possible effects. Lack of electricity for a week is bad enough, let alone any longer. Imagine it, a week has gone past with no electricity, people would panic, stocking up on supplies, possibly looting. Your whole life would change overnight, and if there's one thing I have learnt, its that people struggle with change. The majority of people are set in there ways and cant appreciate the true power of the universe and the elements within it.

This really highlights that fact, and I think if there is some 'impending doom' so to speak, it will be in the form of us being sent back to the dark ages for a few months. We cannot prevent this kind of thing, but we certainly can safeguard ourselves.

Anyway, thought id post as I wanted to start a thread but cant yet! LT88

top topics

join