It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving holograms: From science fiction to reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
November 03, 2010

Remember the Star Wars scene in which R2D2 projects a three-dimensional image of a troubled Princess Leia delivering a call for help to Luke Skywalker and his allies? What used to be science fiction is now close to becoming reality thanks to a breakthrough in 3D holographic imaging technology developed at the University of Arizona College of Optical Sciences.

A team led by optical sciences professor Nasser Peyghambarian developed a new type of holographic telepresence that allows the projection of a three-dimensional, moving image without the need for special eyewear such as 3D glasses or other auxiliary devices. The technology is likely to take applications ranging from telemedicine, advertising, updatable 3D maps and entertainment to a new level.

This is a refreshable, holographic image of an F-4 Phantom Jet created on a photorefractive polymer at the College of Optical Sciences, the University of Arizona. Credit:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d57ca1380a77.jpg[/atsimg]

Nasser Peyghambarian is a researcher at the University of Arizona. This is a refreshable, holographic image of an F-4 Phantom Jet created on a photorefractive polymer at the College of Optical Sciences, the University of Arizona. Credit: gargaszphotos.com/The University of Arizona
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7dae18ed8ed.jpg[/atsimg]

www.physorg.com...

Like in Star Wars a Holographic telepresence means we can record a three-dimensional image in one location and show it in another location, in real-time, anywhere in the world, that means they can use this technology to deceive the public and may have done so.

This technology boggles the mind, they are also developing invisibility techniques as we speak, we are living in era where soon we won't know if it's real or not, the ultimate spy weapon may be invisibility. What is next? I embrace this technology as long it is used for the right reasons and enhance humanity, unfortunately that is not always the case.

edit on 4-11-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Wow, good find.

It does have the potential to be used to mislead us, but it also has potential to become something very exciting
and wonderful. There is a hologram of Louis Armstrong you can buy. I wish I had it in my den, it's wonderful.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

It does have the potential to be used to mislead us, but it also has potential to become something very exciting
and wonderful. There is a hologram of Louis Armstrong you can buy. I wish I had it in my den, it's wonderful.

Well the thing is there isn't much we can do about it, I try to keep the faith as hard as that is at times.

Thanks for posting.

edit on 4-11-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
www.nsf.gov...
Good stuff here is another link to the info and lots of videos of this tech

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Thank you for the additional link, some the same but much more, this is such an interesting topic, isn't technology great.

top topics

join