It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists unveil moving 3D holograms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Like the article hints at, I was always fascinated by those scenes in the movie Star Wars - R2D2 showing Princess Leia, and the "chess game" played by Luke against the Wookie.

Now it appears some scientists think they know how to make it happen. Sadly, they are also offering the "standard" 10 years before it will be commercial, but still ...

source

More than 30 years after the famous Star Wars movie scene in which a hologram of Princess Leia appealed for help from Obi-Wan Kenobi, US researchers have unveiled holographic technology to transmit and view moving three-dimensional images.

The scientists at the University of Arizona say their prototype “holographic three-dimensional telepresence” is the world’s first practical 3D transmission system that works without requiring viewers to wear special glasses or other devices. The research is published in the journal Nature.

Potential applications range from telemedicine and teleconferencing to mass entertainment.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Really interesting news. However, 7 to 10 years before we can use one? I'm getting tired of seeing all this emerging tech like OLEDs and such, but we have to wait over a decade before they even become available to the public. Sigh..

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Do they got a demo video???? Anything other then text on it??? CNN had a hologram machine in 2008 did it come from these guys???

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

CNN didn't have a hologram machine, they used CGI and old-fashioned lying.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Does this explain all the light orb UFO videos lately?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I do not give a damn, this and things like it are reasons why you should not even believe any video today.

I am sure this tech exists, so its going to be so hard to believe anything anymore.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
Do they got a demo video???? Anything other then text on it??? CNN had a hologram machine in 2008 did it come from these guys???

From the article:

The prototype device has a 10-inch monochrome viewing screen and the picture refreshes every two seconds – much too slow to convey natural movement.

But the researchers are confident that, now they have proved the concept, it will be possible to develop a full-colour system large enough to capture the human body and fast enough to give smooth movements. Professor Peyghambarian said it would take at least seven to 10 years’ work before a consumer version of the system was ready to test in people’s homes.

So I'm guessing that a 2 second refresh wouldn't show anything too amazing at this point, so no video yet.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual

CNN didn't have a hologram machine, they used CGI and old-fashioned lying.

Do you have proof? They clearly said hologram machine..... I don't trust CNN just playing devils advocate/

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

haarp already have this technology....

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Does this mean that project bluebeam is still 10 years away?

2nd

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

No I don't have the proof on me. Feel free to trust CNN more than me though.

Look on google I'm sure you'll find proof, I just assumed it was common knowledge.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
A better article with picture and more details.

source

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I am actually surprised this is making news. Why? because it is nothing new... Hell, even Prince Charles did an entire speech via hologram back in 2008. Check it out.

looks pretty good huh?

edit on 3-11-2010 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
this game was out in the 90's. still need to build content around the technology.

edit on 3-11-2010 by mvirata because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mvirata

Yeah I remember that game and thought I would see 3D sooner than 30 years later.

On to the CNN flick. How is that CGI? Did they lie to us?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
cool!

but when they say things like " it won't be ready for the masses for about 10 years"
that means it has already been out, and fully working for about 30-40 years already. lol

the "little" people just don't get to see it.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I've never understood why scientists pass off alien technologies as if it were their own discovery. I couldn't live with myself.

As far as the delay of these technologies... there are corporate financial strategies and protocols that must be in place before release.

Its not Chi power
Its Cha Ching Power
cha ching cha ching $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Believe it or not, at least ten years ago I had downloaded 27 pages of a navy contract--not building instructions--to build a small 3-D holo device that was to be about the same size of R2D2 (about two feet wide by three feet).

My interest was sparked by a fellow making some knowing comments on the old Riskers UFO forum. The device to be build was a proof-of-concept model, preliminary. It was expected to lead to a far larger display of a war theater that could show underwater activity of subs, surface ships and aircraft above. I guess pushing little wooden ships around with long sticks were just too last century.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I tell people that talk about disclosure...If they see U.F.O's hoovering over their town, to call me, and we will talk..
Blue beam project is all I can think about when I look at this....

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

What do you mean 'how'? You just posted the video that explained it. Did you even watch it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join