It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voters ban judges from using international law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Voters ban judges from using international law

m.apnews.com

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Oklahoma voters have approved a measure that would forbid judges from considering international law or Islamic law when deciding cases.

Republican Rex Duncan, the sponsor of the measure, called it a "pre-emptive strike" designed to close the door on activist judges "legislating from the bench or using international law or Sharia law."
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Members of the Muslim community called the question an attack on Islam and some of them said they are prepared to file a lawsuit challenging the measure.

Hmm, so why are Muslims in Oklahoma going to file a law suit challenging a measure that prevents them from having their cases decided based on Sharia law?

Because they have an agenda to implement it here. It's not just a religion, it's a form of government. And that's particularly why it's dangerous to this country.

The good citizens of Oklahoma have watched, no doubt, as Sharia law has been used to decide some cases in this country, as well as France, the UK, and many other places.

Does Sharia law allow a husband to rape his wife, even in America? A New Jersey trial judge thought so. In a recently overturned case, a “trial judge found as a fact that defendant committed conduct that constituted a sexual assault” but did not hold the defendant liable because the defendant believed he was exercising his rights over the victim.

Fortunately, a New Jersey appellate court reversed the trial judge. But make no mistake about it: this is no isolated incident. We will see more cases here in the United States where others attempt to impose Sharia law, under the guise of First Amendment protections, as a defense against crimes and other civil violations.

blog.heritage.org...
That's a good article- might wanna visit that link.

Worship any religion you want, but it cannot supersede local law. That's part of the deal here. Separation of church and state. It's too bad Muslims just don't get it.

Instead they continue their practices anyway, behind closed doors. When the wind blows the door open occasionally, US law comes home to roost. And they don't like it.

Well boo hoo. Fricken MOVE.

m.apnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on Wed Nov 3rd 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I think the whole world has to thank those voters - and I hope the whole world will follow their example.

If you want Sharia law, live in countries where that applies.

Do not try and enforce it upon other countries.

I have often said, when an enemy cannot win by outright warfare, that enemy moves in, and does it from within.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Yep...I voted to pass this measure. God I love my State

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
Yep...I voted to pass this measure. God I love my State

So, did you have to blast your way through Muslim protesters with your sub machine gun kitty firing fast and furious like...?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I am just waiting on the DOJ to issue an appeal or sue the state on this now. They seem to hate the idea of citizens of a state making decisions for themselves.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
I am just waiting on the DOJ to issue an appeal or sue the state on this now. They seem to hate the idea of citizens of a state making decisions for themselves.

Yeah, and you KNOW who's going to be leading THAT pack, right?

The long-legged Mack daddy from Kenya, who claims to be a Christian, and who quotes mostly from the Koran, Quran, or w/e the stupid thing is called.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

LOL, no...it was a quiet little voting booth in the Church of God in my hometown. Twas a very uneventful task, yet one that I walked away from feeling quite good about myself. We also voted English as the official language of Oklahoma and voted for an opt out of Obamacare. Let the feds sue us. States Rights still means something in Oklahoma.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
States Rights still means something in Oklahoma.

And they did to Arizona as well over the illegal immigration issue. Doesn't seem to make much difference in the long run.

But am proud of Oklahoma here pal.

Those sound like good efforts.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

We do what we can...we were 1 of the first states (I believe THE first) to give the Feds cease and desist orders under Sovereignty laws as well. We're good ol boy rednecks. We won't take oppression laying down. Oh, and our outgoing Governor Brad Henry (D) vetoed bills that overwhelmingly passed in the State House and Senate for creating a State Militia and open carry of firearms. Our new Governor Elect Mary Fallin (R) has already stated she will sign those bills in to law when they come across her desk again. The authors of those bills kept their jobs and will push those right back through in the next 2 years.

The funny thing about Oklahoma, even most of our Democrats are conservative. Only 9 Democrats opposed the open carry bill. It's a good time to be an Oklahoman.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Hows about you guys move up here for a few years? We could use MORE like you to get these idiots out.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Well, the DOJ hasn't joined up yet, but CAIR has decided to sue the state of Oklahoma over this.

I can't see how they argue that judges should be allowed to consider religious/international law. The world surely feels like the twilight zone too often now.

edit on 4-11-2010 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrael

Sorry brother, I don't think I could live in New York. Beautiful place to visit, but far too north for me. I like my heat and humidity
You're more than welcome in Oklahoma though

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Hmm, so why are Muslims in Oklahoma going to file a law suit challenging a measure that prevents them from having their cases decided based on Sharia law?

The Muslim population of OK is less than 1%.
Anyone fearing their "agenda" has some personal issues that might need to be dealt with first.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I'll tell you this. They can sue if they want to, but the people of Oklahoma are getting real damned tired of being dictated to as to what we can or can not do in our state. Don't like Oklahoma laws, don't move here.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This really is inspiring. Great job Oklahoma !

We could really use a provincial tier which isn't already in the pocket of the agenda-makers, and a populace that recognized how sneaky our Canadian politics are, or appear to be. They're right off the radar to most people, and I've seen a big "why". It's literally the nicest speakers in the world who seem to be debating the most benign issues, whenever I've tuned in to a broadcast parliament session!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
First let me say, I do not even understand the concept of a lawsuit against this but I am not exactly sure what it is they are suing over or hope to gain so I am not really concerned with all that just yet.

I am curious however, is this the sort of thing that the Tea Party supports? Is this an example of the type of government the Tea Party wants? Just curious.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curiousisall
The Muslim population of OK is less than 1%.
Anyone fearing their "agenda" has some personal issues that might need to be dealt with first.

I couldn't agree more.

I wonder how you all would feel if this amendment were to specify Christian rules and influence instead of Sharia Law... The state of Oklahoma would be prevented from using Christian values to make their decisions... Same opinion or no?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I can’t begin to describe how moronic this measure is, and, blatantly unconstitutional.

First, there is absolutely no risk of Sharia law being applied in US Courts. Why? Because to do so would be unconstitutional. If someone tried to institute Sharia law it would be struck down as it would violate the First Amendment.

And second, this measure directly contradicts the Constitution in that, under the supremacy clause, “all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land.” In other words, you can’t ban international law, as that would be akin to banning any domestic law.

I don’t expect people to look at this rationally, as evidenced by almost every post in this thread. Rather than thinking and discussing the legal and Constitutional questions, people indulge in appeals to nationalism and fear of a bogus religious threat.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by aptness
I can’t begin to describe how moronic this measure is, and, blatantly unconstitutional.

First, there is absolutely no risk of Sharia law being applied in US Courts. Why? Because to do so would be unconstitutional. If someone tried to institute Sharia law it would be struck down as it would violate the First Amendment.

Then I guess there is no harm in them voting to ban it since it would never be allowed since its already banned from being used.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join