It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ULORIC hilarious add

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
check out this advertisement for Uloric, according to their website it is the first FDA-approved prescription medicine for lowering uric acid in adults
www.uloric.com...

Listen carefully to the medical warning

"a small number of heart attacks, strokes, and heart related deaths were seen in studies... it's not certain Uloric caused them"

I got a laugh but on a serious not a hope no one is taking this, I think you might have better luck with the grout.

GummB

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I know a number of prescription medications have very negative side effects... the way the presented this was just amusing

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hahahahaa i totally laughed when i watched this haha. Your right it's almost cartoonish when she starts saying the side effects hahaa.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Pharmakeia is a form of the Greek root word from which we get our English words: Pharmacy, Pharmacist, and Pharmaceutical. In the Bible, pharmakeia carried with it the idea of sorcery, occultism, and black magic. It is in this sense that Paul used the term in Galatians 5.20 as the word 'witchcraft'. In Rev. 9:21 & 18:23 it is translated 'sorceries'. Do you find it rather disturbing that approximately 60% of the population is taking at least one pharmaceutical drug every day?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Funkydung

I do find it very disturbing, and what is more so, those who are steadily on prescription med's usually try and solve the problems caused by those med's with another prescription. Which just adds to problems

Finding natural ways to heal or cure is important, and we don't need to run to the doctor or pharmacy every time we get a runny nose.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
being a gout sufferer, I found it amusing! Also, loved how the "common side effects" are gout flare ups..the very thing it is supposed to supress! I havn't had any attacks in a while but keeping weight down and having a proper diet is key to controlling gout. On the natural side are things like red tart cherries and other red berries which have anti-inflammatory properties.

Where they get it is the only FDA approved drug is beyond me and is a lie. Colchicine is one of the normally prescribed medications for it and it was approved in 2009 by the FDA for gouty arthritis.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GummB

I do find it very disturbing, and what is more so, those who are steadily on prescription med's usually try and solve the problems caused by those med's with another prescription. Which just adds to problems

Finding natural ways to heal or cure is important, and we don't need to run to the doctor or pharmacy every time we get a runny nose.
quite the vicious circle,I saw an advertisment for an anti-depressant that listed side effects as, you may become more depressed,suicidal,hallucinations and the list went on.I'm so confused as to why anyone would want to take them????I remember as a child we toughed it out when we was sick,I believe it helps our immune system to fight off the small stuff.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
What get's me is people still fall for this stuff. I acknowledge too that there are beneficial meds, but at the same time, the pursuit of profit(and not just viable profit) keeps the machines churning out garbage.
I feel this vid is relevant and I still get a kick out of it.

Peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dreampsi

By my experience, the more entrenched gout preventative medication "allupurinol" is not much different.
It can cause gout if used improperly, or worsen an attack.
From what I was told it frees up the purines and acidic crystals, so that they can be flushed out the system.
In a gout attack those crystals are already too high, so one should only take the chronic meds after the attack.
The acute medication is colchicine (one of the oldest medications taken from a flower). In accordance with Genesis we may use every plant and seed-bearing herb, and this is where most of our medicines originate.
Furthermore, there are two types of gout (or gout and pseudo-gout), and they must be clearly diagnosed by a doctor.

A friend had a foot pain recently, and somebody just assumed it was gout and was just about to give her a chronic gout medication pill. It turned out to be something completely different. Now that kind of behavior should be discouraged. People with normal purine metabolism should not take gout medication.

People who suffer from chronic diseases should not share their meds - that also goes for diabetes.
There are different stages and degrees of gout - those with a really bad condition would weigh up the side-effects with the benefits, and many choose the medication along with some form of diet.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Kinda sad, considering Gout isn't really a problem if certain positive dietary choices are made.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
My personal favorite for ridiculous side effects has got to be meds for RLS. I actually have this, never even occurred to me that it was a "medical" condition until I saw the commercials.

Decided the RLS was less of a problem than the potential "gambling, sexual or other intense urges."

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Not so.
Gout is certainly an inborn proclivity, and diet is increasingly debated.
The role of diet is questionable, and probably only useful during an attack.
I've heard of extreme cases where an attack is experienced every few hours - diet did absolutely nothing.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

As someone who has never suffered from gout, nor have I know anyone who has, I am unfamiliar with the symptoms. What's it like?
Is it worth taking a medication that could kill you to relieve the symptoms, is it that bad?

Just curious so I can judge this product appropriately?

GummB

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
WOW
when i first saw that add i thought it was a joke or some skit.
I had to look into it, i couldn't believe that was real.
In Australia they don't actually mention all the side effects on the TV adds like that, they just say something like "consult your GP for any side effects"

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

This thread isn't really the place for your bizarre insinuations that the pharmacological industry is run by witches. It's almost entirely irrelavent to the thread. It is an interesting concept (and I have to say one that doesn't seem remotely plausible, but that's what disucssion is for!), but if you want to talk about it, it should have its own thread.

Also: word meanings change over time. Especially over thousands of years. Just because a word is rooted in another word doesn't mean the concept described by the first word is intertwined still with the concept described by the second.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wycky

EDIT: Oops, sorry, the post is specifically to GummB.

Gout is the most painful form of arthritis.
Most sufferers will only be familiar with the acute attacks at my age.
Typically it begins by waking up at night and feeling like somebody hit your foot with a sledgehammer.
Typically this agony last about a week, during which walking is close to impossible.
There is usually also a fever.
Without treatment a second attack within a month is sure to follow.

People with high uric acid and purine counts are also prone to kidney stones - another extremely painful condition.
(I think because I take allopurinol weekly I haven't had it yet.)
Gout meds are also effective for kidney stones, or at least preventing them, and dissolving them, but when you got them it's too late for that.
Passing a kidney stone is so painful that it can lead to fainting.

Long term gout makes painful "trophi" or uric acid swellings under the skin of the joints.
Eventually it becomes crippling and your movement becomes restricted to being a virtual vegetable.

Uric acid crystals can be imagined as shards of broken glass under the skin.
Furthermore, high acidity predisposes to high risks of heart attack.

So yeah, I'd say the meds are worth it.
Restricting the diet helps some people, but not all.
In some extreme cases not even the meds do anything.
In that case only strong painkillers help.

With any medication there are side-effects, and gout meds are actually very safe.
Such ads mention all the possibilities, just like the package insert.
Most people will not have those reactions and get many benefits.
For more just Google "gout" - there's a lot of info.

edit on 3-11-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have to agree though, that advert is pretty strange.
I was on an earlier clip that started with a similarly dreadful advert for some heart medication.
I would definitely choose another advertising company.
It's a complete stereotype of what a gout sufferer is to the script-writer.
He's obviously never had it.
Cool, fit and thin guys get it in their early thirties.

I'll stick to my allopurinol.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Not so.
Gout is certainly an inborn proclivity, and diet is increasingly debated.
The role of diet is questionable, and probably only useful during an attack.
I've heard of extreme cases where an attack is experienced every few hours - diet did absolutely nothing.

The correct is important, not just avoiding purine rich foods.

How anyone could argue that gout is solely of endogenous origin is beyond me, considering it is a Metabolic disorder...one of which is directly influenced by diet. Hell, all one needs to do is scour through the history books to notice there is a clear connection between gluttony and gout.

And seeing how Gout is strongly associated with metabolic syndrome, hyperinsulinemia, obesity and dyslipidemia....I, and most experts, agree that it's a dietarily influenced metabolic disorder and that the most effective treatment of which is to treat the associated disorders.

edit on 3-11-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
The gout blues - the great toe pain.

Gout can be caused by too many purines coming in, and too few going out.
The causes vary. Some will only have one acute episode, and yes here diet and forms of alcohol play a role.
Especially forbidden foods are meat, organ meats like liver, seafood and especially shellfish.
I was a vegetarian when I got it, so I tried restricting peas, spinach, asparagus and cauliflower.
However I got conflicting information on some foods like tomatoes, or whether it made any difference whatsoever.
Instead I used more turmeric and celery, and I stick to that and my meds.
I'm not really plagued by gout, and haven't had an acute attack for years. Yet my blood-work shows a continued proclivity to acidosis. I was once told it means I'm descended from European royalty - gee great.

You do not have to be fat or lead an unhealthy lifestyle to get gout. That is a complete myth.
Some people start getting gout at 8!
However, obviously being unhealthy increases the risk.
Being male is already a major risk, since it is by far a disease of men. (They say women start catching up somewhat after menopause.)

Anyone writing a medical exam on gout?
Here are the facts:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I have to say, thanks for correcting me in some ways.
I guess I was speaking mainly form my own experience.
It's like heart conditions: some get them naturally but many get them through lifestyle issues.
The unfair thing is that most men can eat an oyster platter, drink gallons of beer and red wine, and they will never get gout!

Ultimately, as the Doctor above teaches gout is the body producing too much uric acid, and too few excreted out.
I've certainly heard that lead, chemotherapy and some HIV meds can cause gout.

Strangely fasting, or sudden weight loss can also cause gout, as was the case of actor Jared Leto:
www.moono.com...

The worst is the first episode of an attack, where you wake up in bed and wonder where you suddenly broke your foot. I first figured it must be a snake or scorpion bite.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join