It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As bad as Aspartame?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Hello there ATS, once again I am reaching out for some advice... I will have to return the favour sometime.

Anyway I'm sure as most of you know Aspartame is bad news and the list of nasty side effects is endless. Recently I have successfully removed this artificial sweetener from my diet completely, apart from the odd chewing gum.

Although I was recently at Alton Towers dying of thirst and I decided I would buy some of that Oasis fruit juice, because it sounds pretty healthy right? Well not long after I'd had a few swigs I read the label, and low and behold it is filled with the stuff!

Lesson learnt, always read the label.

I have rambled on a bit here, what I basically want to know is are there any other food additives as bad as Aspartame?

----------

Some other threads about Aspartame on ATS;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a thread from today by Hotbakedtater that shows not even ants enjoy the stuff;

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Bisphenol A and Fluoride are the main others. But there are many additives that really are awful.

The poison lurking in your plastic water bottle

The research by world expert Dr William Shotyk - who has vowed never to drink bottled water again - will be published in the Royal Society of Chemistry's journal next month.

The tests found traces of antimony, a chemical used in the making of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles, used by most mineral-water sellers.

Small doses of antimony can make you feel ill and depressed. Larger quantities can cause violent vomiting and even death. - Daily Mail

Even the packaging the drinks come in is dangerous.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I avoid cornsyrup - used in a lot of things as a sweetner but thats because of posibility of GM
(google "GM corn syrup")

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Thanks for the reply! I had heard about Bisphenol A making men infertile?.. Nasty nasty stuff!

I don't use things like cling film anymore either because I worry about those gender bending chemicals. I have been told on ATS though that aluminium foil has some nasty additives too.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Good call. Cutting out Monsanto corp in general would probably be a good idea.

Some soy beans often come from genetically modified crops too. Although I've only seen them used in things like Pot Noodles, which is basically like scooping a cup out of an open sewer and chowing down!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

They even coat the insides of canned goods with the stuff. The stuff has been found all over the place.

In my opinion all additives to food are bad if they are chemical. Preservatives have been linked to many illnesses. There are many ways to safely preserve food without using chemicals, I have no idea why companies still use them.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
All foods,drinks etc.etc that has chemicals or has any part that is made from chemicals is bad for the body cells and tissue.Especially those foods and drinks that has bright colours like red,green,orange etc.etc.In the past food colouring were made from natural sources,but then chemicals were invented and now,even the colours and flavours of your ice cream are all created using chemicals.If you have ever gone into an ice cream factory,you can see big plastic bottles of white liquid but the label states that they are banana,orange,grapes etc.etc.The condition of the human body is degrading because of chemicals compounds ingested through food and drinks and from the chemically polluted air that we breathe in.Chemically made medicines also degenerate the body cells and tissues.
The evergrowing population,the greed for money has brought mankind to this state.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Just recently in the US there is a sweetner on the market made from a plant, its called Stevia.

This Sweetner has been a replacement for aspertaam in almost everything (diet sodas, diet yogurts etc etc) in the countries Japan and Brazil for 4 or 5 years now, but because the FDA wouldnt aprove it until recenltly although it was discovered and documented in the late 70s and shortly after the US approved it Europe has also recently OK`d it..This was due to the big money that influences the FDA.

It`s actually very healthy for you and it is good against caries to, the taste is a bit different then normal sweetners, but a better natural taste imo.
Ive been using it now for 6 months now in Coffee and tea, aswell as making my own diet soda and also bought toothpaste and chewinggum containing Stevia, and avoid all products with aspertaam.

Here is a link about Stevia:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Here is a starter list to avoid eating:
sodium benzoate
BHT, BHA, EDTA, MSG (Mono-Sodium Glutamate)
Aspartame, Splenda
Propylene Glycol

Also, I avoid chemical colors such as : Red 40, Yellow 5,6 , etc.

Hope this helps, lots more chemicals but i'm too tired to list all or think to come up with all of them . sorry.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
You might want to consider avoiding palm oil as well.

It's worth avoiding on several fronts, health and ecology.

Problems of Palm Oil

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

There's nothing wrong with red palm oil. In fact, it's probably benefitial. Refined Palm and Palm Kernal Oil are the ones to avoid.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

And yet, the societies that use palm oil all the time don't have any of the health issues it is linked to.

Interestingly, the substances which replaced this ingredient in many foods is way cheaper.

I'm sure that didn't factor at all into the demonization of palm or coconut oils.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I just bought a case of Coke Zero, and I know it is bad for me but can't seem to stop drinking it. Today I stop drinking it!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

I've heard that before... We will have to do an ATS intervention!

Thanks for the replies folks I hadn't heard about the palm oil in particular

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There is palm oil and there is palm oil as I understand it. Some is alright, but the bulk of it comes from land that used to be rainforest, and the rape of the land to grow the palms to get the oil leaves huge tracts of wasteland once the land is depleted of nutrients. That was the palm oil I meant to talk about.

Orangutans seem to be the biggest losers in the race for palm oil, as their rapidly decreasing habitat is the choice land for getting the palm oil!

Palm Oil and Orangutans

top topics

join