It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin' says Prof David Nutt

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Maybe they will back prohibition on the table again , someone need extra profit of ilegal alcohol ..this study is BS ...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The doc says I might have a problem with to much of the white wine but now Im' worse of than some smackhead?
Get Outta Here

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think alcohol is at the top of the list because, it also leads to other drugs. I used drink a lot before, and have been arou d hardcore drug addicts for time.

Back in them days i used to drink non stop, i always needed a back of cigarettes, while im smoking. The occasional spliff to finish off a binge. Whilst being on ecstacy i would drink gallons of liquor (although it having haerly any efect lol) Same with speed or base.

I know from my friends that whilst they were all on crack they also drank ridiculous amount of alcohol. Same with coc aine.

Alcohol when binged is really destrctive, though it has less permanent psychological problem in comparison to the other strong drugs.

As for weed, its a load of cheese and bread to say that is harmful. Apart fromt he tobacco in it, weed is reduces crime and harm whereas the other drugs increase it.
Where im from, and in all other ghettos i can guarantee you that weed reduces crime by calming people down. People on weed tend to be less confident and chilled out, which reduces fights or any other violent crime. It aslo increases concetntration, which oppostie to most other drug where one wil lose control over themself.
Back in them days, if we werent smoking weed, we were drinkin and getting into fights, robbing etc.

But alas been some year, ive stopped all that trouble and this year ive stopped drinking and smoking the bud. All in all i feel a lo healthier and more active

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nastyj

Sounds like you gots alots of expierience with doing drugs.
What about wine, though? Doc says I should "slow down" on it a bit but I tell him that I'm doing just fine

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think most of us get the study..... It would be OUTRIGHT SCARY if heroin was as available as alchohol all this make hard drugs illegal is nonsense... You think that will reduce crime when someone with 20 bux wanting to just get high never mind the fact what substance you put alchohol in front of them or a bag of heroin and a REAL addict will choose the heroin run out of it quick not have any money to get more and get raviging the street. The suicide rate is high with alchohol and heroin but IMO most people who commit suicide though have an issue already. Heroin addicts will commit suicide because they can't live with what they become...

Alchoholics can atleast think enough to bum till their 60's.... I have never seen a bum in their 50's or 60's that has been a heroin addict the whole time, heroin addicts die way earlier around 30's 40's... Even the worst of alchohlics can pan handle for a drink and survive in a trash can, but the best of the dark side always takes over with heroin.... Marijuana should be legal they will never out-law alchohol again.... Go after coccain heroin and meth, if they put half the resources into those three drugs that they put into picking up kids with a joint then the problem with illegal drugs and crimes would drop. This test would be proven wrong if heroin was used in HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS like alchohol is.... You guys think alchoholics fighting is so bad, think about how violent the fight would with 2 heroin addicts, even more brutal it won't be a simple bar room brawl someones in this fight will die, it would be like fighting two pit bulls when you put two heroin addicts coming down in a fight... If marijuana were simply legal I know alot of people that would smoke pot or even eat the pot (no harmful effects on the lugs) over drinking alchohol and I think everyone almost agrees that smoking AND/OR eating marijuana would be ALOT safer then drinking... The systems tarded/
edit on 2-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

Yer post makes a lot of sense points.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Alcohol is not additive, but it is not good for your body physically on mass consummation, and all drunks don't drink it because they are addicted to it, they drink it because it's an escape from there lifes and there troubles alcoholism is a symtom of problems in life. I have seen happy drunks and unhappy drunks, and usually how people are when drunk, is directly related to how they truly are when most of the rules and mental regulations are suppressed. Cracking down on alcohol wont do squat because alcohol is just a medium to other problems in society or your personal life. Crack or heroin is additive however that's why addicts will sometimes kill to get it, and also it is a business that concentrates more money in the hands of a few when illegal then if it was legal, and even being an addict it can be maintained, as long as you can afford it, that's why the only crack heads you hear about are the poor ones who can't afford it, its a multibillion dollar business a year so that means all walks of life use it, in illegal or legal forms. The reason why they aren't considered crack heads is because they can afford it, or afford to get treatment for it.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Did you just say alcohol is not addictive? Alcohol prohibition is not something you should worry about at all.

That said the prohibition on cannabis should end. If for no other reason, that if my child was to experiment with it I would really rather it not come from the same guy who is selling crack and heroin. I do wonder just how many youth have been lost this way? When I was in high school at least 80% of my peers had tried cannabis at least once. I imagine many went on to try harder drugs etc.
edit on 2-11-2010 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Alcohol is most definitely addictive. You just don't know any real alcoholics apparently or you are one that can't admit it.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donkey_Dean

Did you just say alcohol is not addictive? Alcohol prohibition is not something you should worry about at all.

That said the prohibition on cannabis should end. If for no other reason, that if my child was to experiment with it I would really rather it not come from the same guy who is selling crack and heroin. I do wonder just how many youth have been lost this way? When I was in high school at least 80% of my peers had tried cannabis at least once. I imagine many went on to try harder drugs etc.
edit on 2-11-2010 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

That is what I said, and in effect most addictions are more then just about abuse of a substance, alcohol prohibition was about money, so with weed, and weed being a more natural and potent drug/plant, but anything if abused can be bad for you, even weed. And the school I went to the security guard used to sell weed, speed, crack, and steroids for about 2 years before he got fired, when they found out. And yes some drugs are more additive then others, but no way in hell is alcohol in the same level as coc aine, only by the fact that there are a lot of people out there with problems or just bad habits. And more then 80% of the US population tried weed at least once, so does that mean most of them are on harder drugs now? judging by the money going to drugs every year it seems so. So what are you saying? that you would rather the government sell you these drugs to your kid because you dont trust your dealers? maybe you should ask were these dealers get there supplies of drugs from.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well even after reading that I think I will stick to having a few beers down the pub with mates.

I not sure I would feel better nipping round the local crack house to shoot up some heroin instead. I have absolutely no idea what the long term effects of Crack and heroin use are. I do however know exactly what excess Alcohol can do to me, I mean Jesus it's plastered everywhere and on everything.

Did he include tobacco in his study, I would have thought that would have been the worse.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4Life

Alcohol is most definitely addictive. You just don't know any real alcoholics apparently or you are one that can't admit it.

Negative I know some alcoholics, but maybe the are just smarter then those you know, because you see they pace and ration themselves, so that way they will be able to drink more alcohol at longer lengths throughout there lifes. And I have drunk my access of alcohol before, and no I did not find it additive at all, and no I am not an alcoholic, unless its an occasion, I dont even drink alcohol at all. Sorry but even in crapy situations I dont see how alcohol can be addictive, it's just kind of lame to tell the truth, even the buzz it gives you is lame. But that could just be me. But if you can get addictive to alcohol, stay away from crack, I have seen what that can do especially if you dont know how and why it does what it does. All in all drugs should be avoided.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

You don't know any real alcoholics then. I promise.

The ones I know through my own family pass out at night after drinking, then wake back up at 2 AM and continue to drink with everyone else.

It isn't just my family either unfortunately. It is pretty disgusting and over a long enough time warps your entire body / frame of reference.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Whats more important about the research is about the others, not the comparison between herion, coke, and alcohol (Its like argueing over abortion or political spectrum) We all know heroin and coke are just as bad, but what about the others?

Psychedelics are the safest, proven time and time again and have therapeutic uses (not mentioned in this, but very important) .

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

Even though I knew some like that, they no longer drink till they pass out everyday, only on weekend's and not always. So I guess it's a fad at least for them, so I guess, no I dont know any more real alcoholics anymore, used to make fun of one of them, when he keept telling me that he would quit drinking and smoking, my response was always "you never quit anything in your life why start now, your not a quiter" but he eventually guit drinking and smoking. I know what a loser, quitting is for loser's.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Yeah, I haven't had a drink (or pick your poison) since my birthday, or usually only on my birthday. I used to party quite a bit more than most, but in the end it really isn't worth it.

For me just got pretty lame I guess. Had to grow up at some point, although still wouldn't label myself "mature"

Working 15+ hours a day will do that. Now only thing left is getting paid for the work I do.

Good Luck

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Yeah, when I start getting work again, I plan on doing the same thing. At the moment I can't even afford to buy the 20 dollar brew kit, so I am on a sober stretch until christmas at least. It is not all that bad I guess, but the weekends are a bit less fun

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4Life

You don't know any real alcoholics then. I promise.

The ones I know through my own family pass out at night after drinking, then wake back up at 2 AM and continue to drink with everyone else.

It isn't just my family either unfortunately. It is pretty disgusting and over a long enough time warps your entire body / frame of reference.

Wow. People don't usually get this honest. I know those people...in fact I used to be one of them.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by inchworm
The doc says I might have a problem with to much of the white wine but now Im' worse of than some smackhead?
Get Outta Here

Well yeah...because you are not likely to go out and get yourself some smack. You are however very likely to continue drinking wine on a daily basis until your liver gives out. You can't feel the liver turning to a pile of mush either so it sneaks up on you.

Keyword is "harmful"
If the key word were "deadly" perhaps you would be right.

edit on 3-11-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Any substance that 'opens' your mind and allow you comtemplative thinking, even if taken in moderation, is harmful - only harmful to TPTB and their heavy handed social engineering attempts to dumb down the masses.

Get rid of alcohol, ciggies, hardcore drugs, etc and stick to the corporatist controlled media avenues of newspapers and tv. Slavery is safer than freedom for lesser humans such as us the masses. Universal rights for humans is BS. Sheeps have no rights.

Enjoy slavery and what corporatist paid professionals utter from their mouths with snake tongues.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join