It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirits Impossible Maneuver

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This is interesting.

Is it possible for the rover to drive over the rock presented in this clip?

If not then how did the rock get there?

edit on 30-10-2010 by _Highlander_ because: Fixed link.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by _Highlander_

I'm sure it's real interesting. Unfortunately, there is no video to view. Might wanna look into it.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Interesting indeed. Either the rover has a secret function where it can lift itself higher or those rocks went in there after the rover has passed. The slope is not that high for the rocks to roll but who knows. Are there earthquakes in Mars? I guess none.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Untergang

Link fixed, thank you for that

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
A reasonable conclusion would be these pictures aren't really coming from Mars because the spirit rover isn't on Mars and NASA is lying about it.

I think this video sums up why the spirit couldn't have landed on Mars because of Mars very very thin atmosphere.

edit on 30-10-2010 by epsilon69 because: added video

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by epsilon69
I think this video sums up why the spirit couldn't have landed on Mars because of Mars very very thin atmosphere.

This is how they did it...

edit on 30-10-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Did you watch my video? It explains how the atmosphere is to thin for a parachute to even open in it. Therefore when the rover deployed its air bag landing system it would be travelling to fast to do any good. Take a look at the video and see if you can debunk the basic physics in it.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

the manouver is only " imposible" to some one whith zero comprehension of the principle of perspective

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by epsilon69
Did you watch my video?

Are you Jarrah White?

It explains how the atmosphere is to thin for a parachute to even open in it. Therefore when the rover deployed its air bag landing system it would be travelling to fast to do any good. Take a look at the video and see if you can debunk the basic physics in it.

Before I answer that... who told you how thin the Martian Atmosphere is?

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Looks like it didn't just use a parachute.

It used rockets and inflatables. That alone is enough to debunk the theory. But...

Another fatal calculation by the kid in the video, is that the gravity on mars is less than half what it is here. That means it's atmosphere is stretching out into space much higher. It also explains the low pressure. Anyways let's say half the pressure, double the length, of our own atmosphere...then it takes the same amount of stopping power (or parachute) that it would here on earth. That's not the case, but they could have stopped here with a parachute alone.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by venik88

half the pressure? at the lowest point it is 0.16 psi on mars, and at ground level 0.48 psi according to the 'kid', earth at sea level 14.7 psi.
i have no idea on the figures but if your taking the 'kids' figures then saying "lets just say half the pressure" is a major over estimate.

do you issue my gas bills?

edit on 31-10-2010 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2010 by lifeform11 because: grammer

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
reply to post by venik88

half the pressure? at the lowest point it is 0.16 psi on mars, and at ground level 0.48 psi according to the 'kid', earth at sea level 14.7 psi.
i have no idea on the figures but if your taking the 'kids' figures then saying "lets just say half the pressure" is a major over estimate.

do you issue my gas bills?

edit on 31-10-2010 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2010 by lifeform11 because: grammer

Re-read my post please.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Either the videos fake and someones placed the rocks there with some photoshop wizardry or it does'nt make any sense. Even if the rover could lift itself higher than the spec shows, they would'nt risk trying to drive it over rocks that big. It would have went around or chose a new route.

If the video is real then i cant explain it, very strange.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

TextThe atmosphere of Mars is relatively thin, and the atmospheric pressure on the surface varies from around 30 pascals (0.0044 psi) on Olympus Mons's peak to over 1,155 pascals (0.1675 psi) in the depths of Hellas Planitia, with a mean surface level pressure of 600 pascals (0.087 psi), compared to Earth's sea level average of 101.3 kilopascals (14.69 psi), and a total mass of 25 teratonnes, compared to Earth's 5148 teratonnes. However, the scale height of the atmosphere is about 11 kilometers (6.8 mi), somewhat higher than Earth's 7 kilometers (4.3 mi). The atmosphere on Mars consists of 95% carbon dioxide, 3% nitrogen, 1.6% argon, and contains traces of oxygen, water, and methane, for a mean molecular weight of 43.34 g/mole[4]. The atmosphere is quite dusty, giving the Martian sky a light brown or orange color when seen from the surface; data from the Mars Exploration Rovers indicate that suspended dust particles within the atmosphere are roughly 1.5 micrometers across.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

"Squidding" occurs when a parachute fails to inflate properly and its sides are forced inside the canopy. This kind of malfunction occurred during parachute testing for the Mars Exploration Rover.[20]

en.wikipedia.org...

Rocket assisted descent (RAD) motors Because the atmospheric density of Mars is less than 1% of Earth's, the parachute alone cannot slow down the Mars Exploration Rover enough to ensure a safe, low landing speed. The spacecraft descent is assisted by rockets that bring the spacecraft to a dead stop 10-15 meters (30-50 feet) above the Martian surface.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

it seems to me all the problems with air pressure are acknowledged and are combated with rockets. so if there is still a problem it can only be wether the rockets could of stopped it to a "dead stop" at 10-15 meters. seeing as though i am not a rocket scientist, i'll leave that to somebody else.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

Check it out yourself

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

warning images size 60 MB

Here is the area in question

Tosses the monkey a banana... perspective would cover it

edit on 31-10-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks

After seeing it that big, it does'nt look fake. So now im definatley scratching my head

Saying that im not much of an image expert, but my gut says real.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

Draw two parallel lines on a paper about three inches apart... Now look at them from above... then look at them holding the paper at eye level

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yeah, i see what your saying sir, do i get a good boy badge

O.K so now im asking how the rocks got there. Can the rover pick up rocks that big. Maybe it tested them for something and then layed them down within its tracks?

I know im clutching at straws

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal
I know im clutching at straws

Hmmm well okay... here is a straw...

Tell me what is wrong with this picture

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I remember watching a special on it, and the rover is designed to go over rocks that are larger than it's wheels. It has sensors and can literally walk over them, that's why it has 6 wheels, and not 4. It pulls the wheel up when it senses a obstacle.
edit on 31-10-2010 by venik88 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join