It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you Star posts?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The answer is quite simple. Why do you, give stars to people's posts?

Everyone gives stars for different reasons, of that I am sure. Some because the idea expressed in the post is sheer brilliance. Others because the post is somewhat humorous, and others because the post is sarcastic. Some star their friends posts, others star posts that agree with their own opinions.

While, I of course star for those very reasons too, I also star for another reason as well.

Sometimes I star posts, just cause. Just to star. Not really for any reason at all. Just to star, as simple as that.

Other times though, I go all out on star sprees. Sometimes I star only people based on username, or join date, or post counts. Sometimes, I even star people just because their point of view disagrees with my own. Sometimes, I star people for no reason at all, just to star them.

Sometimes, I only star posts by females on a thread. Other times, only those of guys. How do I judge who is male and female? Well I guess based on username. Sometimes I even star based on avatars. And sometimes, I star based on signatures too.

Custom avatars, pretty looking avatars, neat spacey avatars, and all around awesome avatars almost always get their posts starred. Creepy, scary avatars on the other hand... not so much.

Sometimes, I just hand out stars just because I feel bad for someone on the thread.

So my fellow members of ATS, why do you Star?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
S&F!!!*************** Good question. I Love to see the reason people daps...I see the star as a sort of high five.

second

third.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

I star posts for a variety of reasons... Content is primary. If a great point is made, a star is given. Research and time put in as well... If a post shows that somebody spent some time on the Google educating themselves, as well as us, then they get a star. If a post is funny, creative, or original - starred.

And occasionally I give out "A for effort" stars for those posters who I don't agree with at all, but who really seem to have tried!

~Heff

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I am pretty sure that you staring random people is against some of ATS' rules.

I star if someone steps in a derailed thread, gives good information, or expressing their view in an accepting way that dose not offend anyone.

I never star because someone is my friend. Only when deserved.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'm the one that goes through the thread starring everybody.

Have a star!!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Matt_B_TheTeamLead

I see it as a high five too! Sometimes, I see it as more of a pat on the back though in certain threads.

Other times, I use it as a hug. Especially in some threads when certain members are picking on, if you will, another member. I see this happen a lot in the UFO forum section. So sometimes, a star goes a long way to help someone feel better about themselves I think.

edit on 10/30/2010 by agent violet because: sentence structure

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

I star for those very reasons too! I unfortunately have no friends here on ATS, so starring my friends posts is out of the question sadly. But thanks for responding to my thread.

edit on 10/30/2010 by agent violet because: grammar

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I star for research too! I think lots and lots of people do. Especially on threads when it is obvious that the author dedicated time to putting it together. They definitely deserve the high-five of a star.

I like your E=MC2 signature by the way. It's neat and different.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi

I am pretty sure that you staring random people is against some of ATS' rules.

Incorrect. Stars can be given to anyone and for any reason. It is at the user's discretion.

Of course, using a second account to star your buddies more than once is against the rules, but there are larger issues in that case than just handing out a star... If ya know what I mean.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Hii thanks for replying on my thread. I actually see your username, well your avatar rather, a lot around ATS. I like how it looks like it is a real painting. Which it may very well be for that matter. I think it's neat looking.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Stars..... It's not like you can save up stars for a rainy day, they aren't some precious commodity, They don't cost anything, so hording your stars for some obtuse reason is one of the most stupid things imaginable.

Show some love

and I might add...what a clever way to get some stars and flags! Get enough stars and flags and you don't have to endure those awful advertisements.

s&f

edit on 30-10-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

The avatar is a painting...

As for the thread question, I star for a variety of reasons - good info., funny post, something I agree with, a post someone put a lot of effort into, everyone who posts a comment on a thread I wrote, yadda yadda. It really depends on the mood/moment. I don't have set criteria.

reply to post by whaaa

Who me? Hoard stars? Get out of town! Lol...

edit on 30-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
i star for the obvious boring reasons.
I'm obvious and boring.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Wow nice! You can totally tell. It kept its painted 'look' even after being digitilized.

I might have to make it my mission now to help you reach 6000 stars. You're mighty close.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

I starred you earlier because of your avatar I saw in another thread! I thought it was kinda silly but neat looking. Thanks for responding to my thread.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I like how it looks like it is a real painting. Which it may very well be for that matter

It might be...but that's really just a side issue - your post was more geared towards the fact that the image in that avatar is a True Representation of the individual behind it, correct..? An outspoken, logical, witty 'young' lady with something on her mind and the fortitude to pass it on...

More the norm on this site than most others, and worth the time and stars IMO...

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

ty^
also, I've noticed that before i read posts I often look at peoples 'post/star' ratio's.
can't really say if there's much in that though.

edit: is the star count on mini profile how many stars you gave or recieved?
edit on 30-10-2010 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Oh and I star for flattery too...

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
what does the karma rating or k mean and do.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I star when a post speaks to me. Whether it is funny, or intriguing. If it makes a good point. I will especially star when a post makes me question my own point of view. They arent reserved for any special reason ut I don't just give them out for any reason.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join