It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Love the real goal instead of Good or Evil?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Let me detail it more a bit more.

See we all have PLENTY of different views of Good and Evil. Theres Theists that believe they is only 1 true side. There are Atheists who believe they are invented. There are others who believe its freewill, or a balance of things.

But if that is the case, then one person may think one thing is evil while another may think that thing is good. Now that can be a little (or a lot) confusing to everyone. That is a factor in the problem of Evil!

But lets say... that Love is something that is not a perspective.

Don't think love as in the temporary infatuation or anything like that. I am talking about the love that everyone feels. Whenever someone does something for another, and both get that warm feeling inside. The one that no matter what view or perspective, it brings everyone together. The love that can help a kid who is nervous on the first day of school that can come from a mother, teacher, friend or anyone for that matter. The love that you aided a homeless person by not just money, but by food, and even shelter, without asking for anything else in return. That love, that we feel from each other which tells us that they care, and they want to help you.

Do you think that Good and Evil ARE human perspectives, but Love is much bigger than that?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Love is the outcome of good and evil balancing itself.

Love drives evolution.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoomoo

I believe that Evil is selfish, and Good is selfless.

I think it was love that caused the universe to come into existence.

Love can stand in the face of evil, and can make an evil person hesitate.

Love is the most powerful force in the universe.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
There is no good or evil. . .only power.
First line says it all.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

For some reason, I sort of believe that Love is, mentally, both Good and Evil as well.

Let me put it in analogy form.

Love is a Knight. The knight is what keeps Good and Evil alive in the Human Mind, and the knight is the savior of mankind itself.
Good is the shield. The shield is what protects the knight (Love) against Hate, which is not the hate we know of now, but mainly the thought of Loneliness.
Evil is the Sword. The Sword is Double-Edged. It can be used in the name of love, but it can also harm as well.
Good and Evil are the bear necessities for Love to be present, and Mankind in a way, should thank Good and Evil for existing, because it is the cause of our motivation and consiousness, and that We are basically thanking Love for existing

I am not entirely sure if I said it right, so feel free correct me if I am wrong. After all, that shows we care, right?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
what?

Good and Evil do not exist. Good and evil are a product of humans having different opinions so you can "choose a side".

"its either them or us so who you gonna choose"

I like to think of things more like positive and negative instead..
edit on 29-10-2010 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I think that good and evil are matters of perspective.

Pumping carbon dioxide into a persons face would be considered bad for the person - therefore evil.
Doing the same thing (try to imagine a face on it, ok?) to a tree would be giving it just what it needed.

There are evils that are drawn off of what I term to be "unnatural" desires, yet to the instigator it might seem a normal feeling - such as in the case of child molesters.

Punishing a child for wrongdoing, to the child, seems wrong and unfair - evil. The deed that deserved the punishment, to the child, seemed (evidently) permissible at the time - therefore good - however the parent sees the deed as bad/evil.

Hate is as universal as love is - only hate requires much more energy to maintain. There are some individuals in the world who will be hated until the memory of them is forgotten because they have inflicted such heart-wrenching pain against others. Other than that - it's really hard to hate someone forever. It seems like eventually - you just get over it. I got over the garbage an ex-wife put me through for three years without having ever heard the first "I'm sorry" come from her.

Love doesn't take that much energy to maintain. Relationships do, marriage does..etc....
I have friends of the family I haven't seen in nearly 20 years - or talked to for that matter. Yet, I KNOW for a fact that if I was ever needed anything and they could help - they would do so without hesitation. Same goes for me, I would help any way I could.

Love for fellow humans seems to come more naturally than hate and strife. There are some that make it really difficult to "love" them. Those are best avoided whenever possible.

I think that love most likely is the enduring answer, a very broad answer, to a very broad question.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Good and Evil must be only a comparison

for good to exist there must be evil

and for evil to exist there must be good

but for love

it is reliant on neither.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoomoo

The love you are talking about comes from the desire to help others.

A person could perform a misguided act, perhaps an evil act, but he or she may be motivated to act, by unselfish love. If this person has a limited understanding of the situation, or is acting on misinformation, they may be motivated by love, but may perform an evil act.

Intentions may be good, but the consequences may be evil.

A person that is truly motivated by love will correct their error, in that situation.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 2theC

for good to exist there must be evil

and for evil to exist there must be good

I hope not.

Good and Evil are a choice.

You can chose to do good to others.

You can chose to do evil things to others.

The problem is most people these days want to serve their own self centered desires. This leads to problems.

Now people are beginning to interpret "Evil" as something that goes against their selfish wants, and "Good" things, feed their selfish wants.

It becomes a moving goal post. A matter of "perspective"

When these selfish interests become extreme, you have murder, rape, and greed.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoomoo

Hey Shoomoo,

I always like these discussions and would like to add my 2 cents...

But lets say... that Love is something that is not a perspective.....I am talking about the love that everyone feels. Whenever someone does something for another, and both get that warm feeling inside. The one that no matter what view or perspective, it brings everyone together.

Love is indeed universal but every man has his own reasons why this feeling of love manifests. What brings about that feeling of love in one man can bring about a feeling of hate in a other.

The love that can help a kid who is nervous on the first day of school that can come from a mother, teacher, friend or anyone for that matter.

How about the kid in the back of the class with the same feeling of nervousness but lacking the love of a mother or deciding to "be a man about it". He is not going to feel the Love for this other kid who is getting the attention for being nervous. He will have a feeling of jealousy or hate towards that other kid.

The love that you aided a homeless person by not just money, but by food, and even shelter, without asking for anything else in return.

Who about the homeless person sitting next to him? "Why is he getting the special treatment?", he will think to himself. Not generating a feeling of Love but envy.....

You see, every instance that brings about that feeling of Love will generate the opposite feeling in a person not receiving that Love. So in this light Love is also the creator of feelings like hate, jealousy, envy etc....

I keep ending up with the conclusion that the only true, honest emotion one can have is indifference...

It should not matter what the occasion is, it's the intensity of the experience. When you kiss for the first time, become a father for the first time etc... this gives a feeling of extreme happiness. When you hurt yourself or lose a loved one, this brings a feeling of extreme pain or sadness. But what is universal is the intensity of that moment. We categorize these feelings in good or bad in order to understand but what doesn't change is the moment itself.

I think that the key is loving the moment regardless of how you perceive it. Whether you win the lottery or stomp your toe, if you are indifferent to the perceived category this emotions falls under, you are able to experience the intensity of the moment......

I realize this theory has a lot of holes in it and I have probably wandered way off topic but I thought I'd share anyway.....To sum it up, you are correct in saying that Love is the real goal but it could never unite us all!!

Peace

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
love is a big part of it. infact when you spell love backwards evol it changes grows EVOLVES this is the real goal. good and evil are concepts but evolution that is the goal of all life.........................

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It almost seems as though it would have to be an objective criterion, and Good versus Evil is hopelessly subjective, as you pointed out. Even the term Love is not objective enough to serve as an existential "yes" if a "no" is the only other determination. Nothing else in foundational existence is as arbitrary as these three human terms.

I wonder if anyone is ever going to consider that we would be better served with an updated version of what constitutes fundamental reality? So far, this version isn't coming across with the goods at all.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoomoo
Do you think that Good and Evil ARE human perspectives, but Love is much bigger than that?

...no... love is just a perspective too... we tend to put bigger emphasis on love because it usually makes us feel good but, when ya get down to the nut cuttin, its just a chemical reaction in our brain, like every other emotion... none are bigger than any of the others, although some might appear to be more prevalent...

new topics

top topics

join