It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunman Reported On Texas A&M Campus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I just heard this on the radio. I hope all my fellow Aggies are safe. Anyone in the College Station area have any additional details?

Thursday afternoon, Texas A&M activated their Code Maroon notification system alerting students to a gunman spotted on campus.

The A&M campus is not on lock down as of yet, according to spokesman Jason Cook, who says a bus driver spotted an armed individual and reported it to University Police.

A brief description of the armed individual, according to scanner reports:
-white male
-wearing olive or green shirt and shorts
-wearing back pack
-carrying an AK-47

Another report of a gunman was called in from West Campus shortly after the first sighting. Authorities do not have a clear description on that individual.

The following Code Maroon message was sent out at 4 p.m.:

"Code Maroon: Sighting of armed subject at Rudder Tower. SEEK SAFE SHELTER until further notice."

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Wow, seems this just happens more frequently every year. I hope it comes to a peaceful fruition. People sure are getting crazier..............

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Thank you for this post.

It's good to see that campuses across the US have adopted a system to warn students, faculty and visitors.

Hopefully the officials will get to the bottom of this situation and that it is simply a misunderstanding. Although if it's not lets hope that this gets taken care of before anything bad happens.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
According to this website, there has been a shooting before.

The University of Texas went on lockdown for hours Sept. 28 after police officials said UT sophomore Colton Tooley fired an AK-47 several times on campus. The 19-year-old math major fatally shot himself on the sixth floor of the Perry-Castañeda Library.

So now there is another deranged lunatic with an assault rifle roaming campus.

I hope someone on that campus has enough firepower to stop this guy.
Oh wait, your can't carry a concealed weapon on campus to protect your life.
But a criminal can waltz right in.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
you beat me to it it looks like. I was about to send you a message asking if you had heard anything about this yet.

I hope all turns out to be "ok"

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok

The University of Texas went on lockdown for hours Sept. 28 after police officials said UT sophomore Colton Tooley fired an AK-47 several times on campus. The 19-year-old math major fatally shot himself on the sixth floor of the Perry-Castañeda Library.

Yes, another deranged lunatic; however, this is Texas A&M University, not University of Texas. I know....what's the difference? Well, in Texas to confuse those two...well, them's fightn' words

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I didn't even notice that until just now.
My apologies.

2 Different campuses and scenarios.
But the point is still the same.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
New information. Not on the gunman, but other circumstances going on today at Texas A&M

According to a Tweet from KBTX, former first lady Laura Bush is currently on the Texas A&M campus. Former President George H.W. Bush and former first lady Barbara Bush were due to be campus at 5 p.m. CST to open the Heart Truth Red Dress Exhibit.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I just posted on the other thread - will flag here for updates. I wonder if the visit from the Bush's have anything to do with this. Does anyone know if any of them are on campus now?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by havok

Yes, another deranged lunatic; however, this is Texas A&M University, not University of Texas. I know....what's the difference? Well, in Texas to confuse those two...well, them's fightn' words

You got that right! LONGHORNS ALL THE WAY BABY!

In all seriousness though, hope everything turns out alright..

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Looks like all has ended well. I hope this is a lone gunman.

UPDATE 6:04 p.m. EST: BreakingNews posted to Twitter that, according to NBC, the person responsible for the lockdown has been detained. Stay tuned for more details.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Now I must laugh....this even crossed my mind:

UPDATE 6:10 p.m. EST: NBC is now reporting that the "suspect" is a member of Texas A&M Corps of Cadets (similar to ROTC) who was walking with his rifle.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

So does this look like an instance of over zealous vigilance?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

So does this look like an instance of over zealous vigilance?

Yes it does. The Corps of Cadets can regularly be seen on campus carrying their rifles. Although, they are typically in uniform while doing so. I imagine that the person who reported the gunman was being over zealous due to the Bush family being on campus.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Yea when I toured my junior year of college I remember seeing groups and some solo Corps Men walking around "armed".

Glad it was nothing. People may have started getting a complex thinking us Texans are crazy gun nuts!

top topics

join