It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found a piece of something this morning.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

It does look somewhat similar to that of a rough emerald.

notice the same "milky white" like air bubbles area to the left and something dark/black embedded within.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
Looks like you found what is left after lightning strikes and turns some of the ground into glass. Usually, you would have to dig it up.

Very cool. I have always wanted to find one.
Those are called fulgurites.

Not nearly as pretty as what the OP has here. They look like tree roots.

Fulgurites

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
When I was growing up, my parents had three of these in our home. A red one, a clear one, and a green one, like the one you found. From what I remember they were just large chunks of glass. My dad brought them home from a glass plant he was hired to do some tile work in. We used them as Bookends. I later found a light colored green one while dredging my grandmother's pond, and my Great aunt [who is a Jeweler] told me the chunk I found was glass as well. Probably cast into the pond by some children.
That's just my two cents, but the green chunk we had when I was growing up looked almost exactly like the piece you found. You could take it to a pawn shop or jeweler to get their opinion. Who knows? Maybe you just became a millionaire.

edit on 28-10-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

It does look somewhat similar to that of a rough emerald.

notice the same "milky white" like air bubbles area to the left and something dark/black embedded within.

The color is right.

But I think there would be more of a cleavage pattern in the OP's find, if it was emerald. The photo seems to show an amorphous material, like glass or obsidian.

link   
I think it's glass. Rough tourmaline doesn't look like that, typically...that is.

Your prowess with the cleaning solvents and dental hygiene products is commendable!

link   

Originally posted by sykickvision
It looks very very clean to have been buried, or partially buried.

Typically, glass, when buried for a long period of time will sustain scratches to the surface of it giving it a frosty texture. This has none of that. Also, if it were dinged by a plow at some point, the tiny cracks in it would have filled in with dirt and/or sediment. There is none of that visible here. None of the scores or cracks in it have any visible trace of dirt at all.

I've seen a lot of melted down glass from soda & beer bottles being tossed into overnight campfires to know what a glob of melted glass looks like.

It looks like melted glass that has been partially shattered. It doesn't look like it is weathered at all, which glass usually does when buried either in whole or partially near the surface.

My question is...how is it so amazingly clean?
I seriously need this secret to apply to my bathroom tile & grout.

that's exactly what I thought,
melted down bottles and/or other colored broken glass thrown into a fire.
We used to do that as kids and get big ole globs. lol

But that is very clean!
I wondered how it could be so clean also...

OP< did you do anything to it? clean it ?

I don;t think it's rock/crystal.
if my sister were here she could tell me. lol

That would be very cool if it was though.
edit on 28-10-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Like I said before. Simple green and a tooth brush! A water hose was involved as well. I wish I could take a picture of what I am actually looking at for everybody because it is not as clean as it appears. I think the flash and everything makes it look really shiny.
Pic with no flash

Edit: If you look at the bottom right hand side of the rock you can see that it still has dirt on it that will not come off. Same with the bottom as well and a portion of the top.
If you zoom in on the picture you can see the crevices have dirt in them too.

edit on 28-10-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Here is one example of how rough tourmaline can look . This ones purple but it does come in green also .
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eecd1cdb4f4e.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Sorry to say, I think you have a piece of glass. Around here there are many places that sell these by the pound. It does not look like either tourmaline or emerald to me, at least not in rough form.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm not sure it's tourmaline just because it doesn't have that typical linear markings. Could be - you know that the world doesn't use one cookbook recipe to make us some pretty rocks. They are essentially made the same way but the ingredients are definitely local

Take a look at this site for Tourmaline (they have many varieties)
Also look at Peridot (peridot mineral specimens) to see what you think

www.mineralminers.com...

My first thought was of all the beautiful slag glass from around the areas of Diamond Crater in Arkansas.

edit on 28-10-2010 by sheeplemama_awakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm far from an expert, but I'm inclined to agree that it's a piece of slag glass. Good example here. It's a nice specimen, whatever it is. extra DIV

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Found these images of chunks of Green Glass.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b76b65e3f6fb.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8855a77cd126.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 28-10-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It could be glass but it could be tourmaline also. I would defenlently have it tested by a jeweler using a dichroiscope or a hardness test. www.jjkent.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Well I see some got here first - but I thought perhaps you might have a nice chunk of green crystal. They do vary in color and have inclusions such as the black spot. Beautiful!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a1f83be2ef6.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well I sent an email to the University of Georgia.
UGA Geo

I want to know what it is for sure. Since they are about a 30 minute trip I figure I can take it up their and have them test it. Even if it is glass or whatever it is I am still curious and I am sure they can test it for a nominal fee. Now I wait and see.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Ahh, Georgia. Ironically, when I first saw the pic my immediate thought was, "Coke bottle"

For your sake I hope it's a rare something worth some serious $$$. Keep us posted.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Will do for sure.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
By all means let us know what they say! Anxiously awaiting!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I hope that it is a rare emerald that is priceless for you... best wishes

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
It might be dioptase. Would be a nice mantle piece if you polished it up, and perhaps shaped it.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join