It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning Photos From 10-Year Sea Census (Check em out)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I saw this one and thougth it woud be appreciated here. I hope you enjoy.
Just for the record, the more we find the more I begin feeling like we are in a big fishbowl ourselves. Being watched and studied from above...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc4ed808a7b0.jpg[/atsimg]
Affectionately nicknamed "Mr. Blobby," this fathead sculpin fish was discovered in 2003 in New Zealand during a Census of Marine Life expedition, according to the Australian Museum in Sydney. Fathead sculpins—named for their large, globe-like heads and floppy skin—live in the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans at depths of between about 330 feet (100 meters) and 9,200 feet (2,800 meters). Now preserved in 70 percent ethyl alcohol at the Australian Museum, Mr. Blobby's nose has shrunk—"and he no longer retains his 'cute' look," according to the museum's website.
How many are you thought: Jimmy Durante?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9d52776869f3.jpg[/atsimg]
Fiery Colony Discovered in 2005, this new physonect siphonophore is a colonial animal, made up of many repeated units—such as the nectophores, or swimming bells, on the right half above, which provide propulsion for the colony. Reaching 10 feet (3.1 meters) in length, some siphonophores are among the largest animals in the deep sea, experts say.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d39ebbed12a5.jpg[/atsimg]
This baby slipper lobster, found during a Census of Marine Life expedition, is completely transparent, though as the creature grows, a thick shell will cover it. The lobster's bizarre eyes may confuse predators while it floats among plankton, or tiny animals, according to the new National Geographic Society book Citizens of the Sea: Wondrous Creatures From the Census of Marine Life.

Source (more photos): news.nationalgeographic.com...#/census-mar ine-life-best-pictures-45_27023_600x450.jpg

I just am amazed on all the new stuff they are finding under the water as they go to new places with new equipment that enables them to observe and/or study these new wonders.

Just more proof that Earth and the creatures here are far more special than we let on. It sure will be sad if they ever determine there is no other life out in the universe. Either we the first, or the last..... hmmm.

Anyway, thank God we have the ability to manufacture items that makes us the ones to observe and study and not be the ones being observed and studied (for now until it is proven beyond a doubt there are or are not aliens)

Plenty more pics at the site.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Our world is so alien to us...

We gotta get outta here before it eats us

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Amazing pictures and a great thread. Its fascinating to see the different types of species that our planet can support. Just to think that all this time we are desperate for more space exploration to find new worlds and maybe aliens and we have still to discover a great deal of our waters. We could be missing all kinds of stuff deep in our seas.

S+F

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The first picture looks like the Ziggy cartoon. I was always fascinated by ocean creatures especially the ones that live down deep in the dark.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sportbominable

I concur. The more I see from these great finds, the more I am interested. Surprising how many things do live down so far.

I also think we will find other things too. Related to Human etc. Time will tell.

top topics

join