It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Third of Previously Thought Extinct Mammals Now Alive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Thought this might interest those of us who frequent the crytid threads, not that these animals are exactly cryptids. My reason for sharing this is to point out how easily 'known' animals survive in the wild with little to no human contact to the point where they are designated as extinct.

Conservationists are overestimating the number of species that have been driven to extinction, scientists have said. A study has found that a third of all mammal species declared extinct in the past few centuries have turned up alive and well.
Some of the more reclusive creatures managed to hide from sight for 80 years only to reappear within four years of being officially named extinct in the wild.

Source

If we can apply this lesson learned to the field of cryptozoology, there may be some hope for some of the cryptids of lore. I am not saying that this concrete proof that any cryptids does in fact exist, just using it as food for thought.
edit on 26-10-2010 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I don't blame them for hiding. They probably think that us humans are either going to eat them, poach them, keep them as pets or destroy their habitat for resources. There is probably a safe haven for animals somewhere in the world where they plot their revenge against humanity

But on a serious note, very interesting find! I have always thought that many presumed extinct species must still be breeding in small numbers in remote areas. Who knows? Maybe dinosaurs still exist somewhere on earth

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Thats exactly my point here. Mammals accepted as having really existed simply adapt themselves and continue on living outside of man's prying eyes. This is often the argument about cryptids. Skeptics say it is impossible to exist outside of man's knowledge for such a period of time, but now scientists have proven that, in fact, it is possible.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
reply to post by TechUnique

Thats exactly my point here. Mammals accepted as having really existed simply adapt themselves and continue on living outside of man's prying eyes. This is often the argument about cryptids. Skeptics say it is impossible to exist outside of man's knowledge for such a period of time, but now scientists have proven that, in fact, it is possible.

Ahhh very interesting. So what you are saying is that legendary "Mythical" animals have been around in plain site long enough for people to write legends about them. But the animals have long learnt to stay away from humans so we do not see them anymore. Therefore mainstream science refuses to admit they exist. It does make a lot of sense to me

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I wish it had a full listing not just 4 or so. Eh whatever. Great FIND!!! S+F

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Excellent find! Its about time someone stepped up and admitted this which a lot of us figured to be truth. You can sit behind a desk all day and say something never was/ isn't there, but when it comes to be found you alone have made yourself look foolish. I enjoy when "experts" are proven wrong.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by immortalcamel

Even outside of the 'proven wrong' aspect of this news. A part of me is simply happy that the species which were though lost forever actually are not. I'm no tree hugger but I do try to be a conservationist as much as possible, so my children can enjoy the same aspects of nature that I grew up loving.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Great find! I've always found myself thinking, how do they REALLY know that these animals are extinct? Do they lead vast expeditions throughout the world to find them, or do they just decide, 'oh, well, I haven't seen a pink-tailed leopard in a while. I guess they're all dead. well, that takes care of that...

Gives me hope for a lot of other animals they say have gone away! Maybe someday they'll admit they were wrong about dinosaurs (i hope beyond hope...)

(also, hi I wanted to come see what you posted for myself xD)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SFlowers

I appreciate that you did. Im not too sure about dinosaurs although I guess staying with this line of thinking it is possible. Something just tells me that there are no Jurassic Parks yet. Cloning (which was an underlying theme in this article, perhaps from another source though) may make all things possible.

That is exactly how they do it though, havnt seen animal x in while, no tracks, the habitat was destroyed, breeding population too small so they must be extinct. All the while the population migrated a few acres away and sometimes adpated to a different habitat altogether.

new topics

top topics

join