It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnificent red stag, Exmoor's Emperor, was 'a definite target'.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Before i write this post, i just want to point out that i am not someone who does not believe in killing deer, or any wild animal whose numbers have to be managed.

I've lived in the forest all my life, deer are as much a part of the scenery here as the trees. We have poachers, and we have people who shoot them legally.

This story though annoyed me somewhat...

A giant red stag, thought to have been the biggest wild land animal in the UK, has been shot dead.

The creature, named the Exmoor Emperor, weighed more than 135kg (300lb) and stood nearly 2.75m (9ft) tall. It was killed in the middle of the annual rut.

A witness reported hearing two shots before seeing the stag's body near Rackenford, north Devon. The carcass was removed soon after.

A licensed hunter rather than poacher is thought to have killed Emperor.

Source: Magnificent red stag, Exmoor's Emperor, was 'a definite target'

Heres a link to an interview with the photographer that took the picture, also someone from the British Deer Society....

www.bbc.co.uk...

In my opinion, this deer should have been allowed to live. It was the most majestic stag there was, even in a picture the creature radiates magnificence, just imagine what it would have been like to be in it's company.

Yet in the pull of a trigger and the exchange of sum of cash, this will now grace someones wall.

For what?

Nice going idiots.
I have no repsect for the people that played a part in killing this one. For some strange reason, i might have understood it better of it had been a poacher, but knowing that this was probably some legally ok deal between the landowner and someone who wanted to say they had shot the biggest deer....well it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Like i said, i'm not against killing deer, but sometimes there are things on this earth that are just meant to be untouched.

CX.
edit on 26/10/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It's not an accomplishment to kill an animal from a distance wearing full camo, with a rifle. it's pathetic.

Unless you need to eat it, leave that guy alone, he isn't hurting anybody.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
One word, sick.

I truly believe what you do in life will come back tenfold, wouldnt like to be him.

CX

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Thank you for the replies, very true words spoken too.

Stags like this are probably one of the few animals i have ever encountered that give off this awe inspiring presense when you are confronted with them.

I have lived in the forest all my life, and have been around deer the entire time. Yet whenever i am out on my bike in the woods and a stag either crosses, or stops in my path, i can't help but stop.

I know this is going to sound strange but the way they look at you is like something off of a fantasy film, like some majestic all-knowing creature that just acknowlegdes you and allows you to carry on your journey.

Videos and pictures just don't do creatures like this justice.

CX.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
get over it - it was an old stag - it was past its prime

CX

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Living up to the username i see there IA.

CX.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Very sad indeed.

Britain has so little wildlife that an animal like this should have seriously been protected,

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5347b13efd2d.jpg[/atsimg]

Were almost at the stage now where the biggest animals left alive in the UK are going to be the Rats running around outside of my housing estate

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Its unfortunate, but looks like the stag has shown up decorating the walls of some jumped up country hotel

www.bbc.co.uk...

Seriously what the hell is wrong with some people?

join