It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News editorial: WikiLeaks employees should be declared ‘enemy combatants’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

By Stephen C. Webster Monday, October 25th, 2010 -- 9:43 pm

Leading the attack on whistleblower web site WikiLeaks, Fox News editorialist and former Bush-era US State Department official Christian Whiton said on Monday that the US should classify the proprietors of WikiLeaks as "enemy combatants," opening up the possibility of "non-judicial actions" against them.

"So far, the Obama administration appears to have been asleep at the wheel in responding to this," he wrote for FoxNews.com on Monday. "The same is true of the Democratic-controlled Congress, which has no fewer than ten committees of jurisdiction that could be doing something about this—but which are not."

He proposed a number of actions the US could take to shut down the secret-spilling site for good:

1. Indict Mr. Assange and his colleagues for espionage, regardless of whether he is presently in a U.S. jurisdiction, and ask our allies to do the same.
2. Explore opportunities for the president to designate WikiLeaks and its officers as enemy combatants, paving the way for non-judicial actions against them.
3. Freeze the assets of the WikiLeaks organization and its supporters, and sanction financial organizations working with this terrorist-enabling organization so they cannot clear transactions denominated in U.S. dollars.
4. Give the new U.S. Cyber-Command a chance to prove its worth by ordering it to electronically assault WikiLeaks and any telecommunications company offering its services to this organization.
5. Holding meaningful congressional hearings to look into how this much classified information could ever be compromised and how the U.S. can better identify and combat political warfare organizations like WikiLeaks.

Fox News shows its Fascist colors yet again via Christian Whiton. It really is beyond me why such slimeballs can sit there and support such despotic tactics against somebody like Julian Assange, who has quite a lot of support amongst even Americans, and think he's on the side of righteousness. Just as other corrupt governments/medias do, Fox News is complicit in being apologists for all the evils of this country and attack dogs for the establishment and AGAINST the real revolutionaries/resistance fighters/whistleblowers that actually stick their necks out to DO THE RIGHT THING. It's so easy for Mr. Whiton to sit up there on television and spout these things off with the might of an empire more/less behind him; he just comes off as the kind of person who would have snitched people out in Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia. Anybody sitting in their Lay-Z boy cheering in agreement with this kind of Faux News propaganda should be ashamed of themselves.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Not surprising.
I consider them heroes and very interesting.
Funny how folks think so differently.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NoHierarchy

I heard an analyst of their say they should be declared an enemy of the state. Fair and balanced my arse! I never once heard them discuss the other side of this issue. In fact, no MSM station appears willing to discuss the issue except to call for peoples heads.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I think it's not fair to call them enemy combatants.
They're exposing the things the government is hiding from the people, I don't see anything bad about that.
The government can kiss my ass. I don't like them at all. They should be the ones labelled enemy combatants.
A quote from the movie V for Vendetta comes into my mind when I read this.

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of their people" - V

I dislike the propaganda fox news gives to the public.
It paints bad pictures of what is really good.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Some of what Wikileaks has done is indeed of poor judgement (mostly naming names of people currently in the field that may find their head on a pike of insurgance...they should have blotted the names out).

What Fox News has done (or the commentator anyhow) is the actual enemy of the state, constitution, and freedom. That is the person that needs to be detained.or at least kept far away from any form of power.

He is angry that the people are being informed...my guess, because he knows the narrative Fox tries to spout out for the last 10 years is debunked in the report.

Fair and balanced.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I agree with them, a quick trial and then a visit to Leavenworth for a good old fashiond hanging.
No problem wih it at all....................

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I wonder if it doesn't all divide up soemthing like this:

Everyone gung ho for war! Those that believed all the WMD and oh we have to get rid of that torture over there and those rape rooms = Hate Wikileaks and want to see them arrested and/or even killed.

Those that questioned the war, either from the start or later on, or that were anti-war - give him the noble peace prize.

Fox news was a big drum beater for those wars.

Now, those wars have us in debt up to our eyeballs, and I've been reading through the files and I see Chinese weapons here, Chinese weapons there, insurgents had Chinese mortars, bombs, guns, you get the picture....
The country is starting to fall apart, the world isn't much better, and well, if I'd been such an avid drum beater I'd either have to feel mad and duped or really, really guilty.

So the best thing to do is to shut up those that would cause you to have to question YOURSELF.
Fox News.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I've read through a lot of the files and wiki definitely has learned from their mistake. The newspapers and pentagon COULD HAVE made sure that was done though, to be fair. They chose not to, but they should share in that mistake. Even though some names did get out, even pentagon brass have admitted that no one has been injured because of the Afghan files release.

I do think that boo-boo was put in a very bright spotlight to distract from the actual content of the files and to sway public opinion against wikileaks.

I've not seen a name yet, or in many cases even the make and model of vehicles. Most files will say like, US M._______ in a black ____________ was hit by an Iraqi civilian that lost control of his blue __________. That's all I've been seeing anywhere.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

This is shocking, The American goverment invades Iraq because of weapons of mass destruction, they none so they come up with another reason for being thee; regime change, that runs out so they come up with another excuse; spreding democracy all the while reducing their respect for the rights of their own people and and that of everyone elses around the world. Absolutley astounding!!

The media how are supploed to keep us informed willingly remain silent

We westerners are going to become the new North Korea

I dunno

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I agree with them, a quick trial and then a visit to Leavenworth for a good old fashiond hanging.

your version of Freedom and Liberty seems contradictory to me.

The government should murder reporters?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I think Christian Whiton is full of snip
and can kiss my snip and that's all I got
to say bout that.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

nice try boys but one thing you are clearly leaving out is:

editorial is nothing but an opinion piece and nothing more and as such it is the opinion one one guy who works there there is not one other fox employee who has agree or echoed his thoughts.

last thought here people freedom of speech is king and to deny freedom of speech is nothing but fascist.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

Such a quick judgment from someone without all of the information...a majority means nothing if it is based on inadequate information and reactionary thought...

Fox news and a former Bush Admin?

Please...partisanship really is the greatest conspiracy...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Wikileaks kills more people than any shadow-government.

That is the price of information. It is far more powerful than many humans are capable of handling (hence their collective stupidity).

There are many things going on now, that have gone on in the past, and will continue to go on in the future that the general population simply doesn't need to know about. Ever. Period. No excuse or justifiable reason could ever be given for why you, or any other person you encounter every day, should know.

That said - there are a number of things going on under that blanket generalization that shouldn't be going on, or that should be kept in better check through knowledge of the program.

The problem is that many people cannot seem to understand the difference between the two. It's one thing to leak information regarding a bio-weapons project. It's another thing to leak data about a bio-weapon to the masses ("make your very own zombie virus!").

It's also a bad idea to leak names of informants - or even to leak what code-named informant sourced what information (process of elimination can still identify them). That gets people killed and instigates open military conflict (you would be amazed at how many mistakes were avoided on both sides of a tense situation by having knowledge of each others' intentions and plans within the chains of command).

So, I understand the frustration when it comes to institutions like wikileaks.

However, declaring them enemy combatants is a little extreme - though not entirely without base. Institutions like wikileaks are actively working to circumvent security measures and provide refuge to those who illegally distribute classified information. Legally, they are as much enemy combatants as the KGB was in the Cold War.

I am not going to sit here and try to say what is or is not appropriate. You can blast wikileaks with everything short of a nuke and another one would pop up a week later. But by that same token, if you're going to intentionally take on the intelligence networks of nations, you have to be willing to accept the logical and obvious consequences that will come from doing so.

In that respect, many people can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. Steal some secrets from the government then run away with urine streaming down their legs because the evil government is out to get them. Really? The one you stole secrets from? Nah, get real, why'd they be pissed about that?

Really - you can't say this wasn't expected.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

nice try boys but one thing you are clearly leaving out is:

editorial is nothing but an opinion piece and nothing more and as such it is the opinion one one guy who works there there is not one other fox employee who has agree or echoed his thoughts.

how is that leaving anything out? and you sure appear to be crawling all over yourself trying to defend FOX. How come?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

No, no i'm pretty sure bombs and guns dropped on civilian population centers have killed more people than wikileaks.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

what i am defending here is the right to free speech no matter who says what.

since its and editorial piece which is a formed opinion he has his right to speak his mind as we all do.

and your free not to agree with it.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
If you didn't push for war in the first place you tards at Fox News, those Wikileaks documents would have never happened.

Also... STOP DOING WAR CRIMES = NO WIKILEAK DOCUMENTS.

Pretty simple stuff... even for Fox News anchors.

But eh, it seems they want to lie their way into making everyone an enemy.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

New York Times Co. v. United States, the so-called Pentagon Papers case from 1971.

Concurring in that case, Justice Potter Stewart observed, "In the absence of governmental checks and balances present in other areas of our national life, the only effective restraint upon executive policy and power in the area of national defense and international affairs may lie in an enlightened citizenry -- in an informed and critical public opinion which alone can here protect the values of democratic government.. . . . Without an informed and free press, there cannot be an enlightened people."

The law protecting them is on their side as is the journalist group. In the article The Times quotes the above and says all journalist do this.

Such right wing extremist Whiton are like terrorists of Al Queda - seen as insane nuts without reason and confused purpose.

Its embarrassing for the US to have such idiots have a voice.

But remember Fox is the former Nazi propaganda production crew!

tarpley.net...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Originally posted by Aim64C

No, no i'm pretty sure bombs and guns dropped on civilian population centers have killed more people than wikileaks.

True.

Jutadood please tell me how many deaths wiki has caused. Wiki prevents deaths. Keeping governments honest is of the highest calling and equally as dangerous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join