It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COICA law - say goodbye to internet freedom

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Who is to say the internet is not already heavily censored? This could have potentially been going on since the internet's inception and what difference would we know? Something to think about. Sure, it seems like we can say and post whatever we want, but who knows. Can this theory be credibly debunked?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I don't think they would or will try to block too many sites. Although if it does start to get out of hand, then mayhem will ensue. People will be pissed as this is really their last place for complete freedom of speech. If that is taken away, people will begin to feel secluded, or like they're being backed into a corner. It has become such a part of our everyday life that I truly feel if any administration were to seriously implement any such control beyond reason in the U.S., it would be presidential suicide. They would feel a firestorm of backlash politically, socially, and maybe even in terms of cyber warfare.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
To those who want to know, the author of this bill is: Sen. Patrick Leahy [D-VT]

Also, you may want to click on the COSPONSORS tab next to his name and see if your state representatives are cosponsoring this. I was sickened when I found out that Tom Coburn of Oklahoma is. I sent him a message.

As previously linked in this thread, you can view the bill here: S. 3804: Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act

This bill sucks. If you say it isn't bad or doing exactly as we fear, it soon will. Stop it now before it has a chance to serve it's masters and further tyranny. Stop internet censorship!!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I doubt will go through.

1. The time of the year. Many congressional pigs will avoid tyrannical bills until elections have passed.

2. If this bill passed, closing websites due to copyright protection would not be the reason, nor the course of action. Copy-right infringement and pirating is a massive profit revenue for companies.

Either way, you guys can watch the bill here:

www.govtrack.us...

Also where is all the conditioning and pirating fear mongering at on the news?
edit on 26-10-2010 by Scarcer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
I can't believe I'm the first person to star and flag this and my post is like the fourth one on here.
This needs to be starred and flagged out the wazzoo unless there is already another one on it.

Nice find, OP.

From the source :

"The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) was introduced just one week ago, but it's greased and ready to move, with a hearing in front of the Judiciary Committee this Thursday."

If that thing goes through we might be kissing dear ATS goodbye...

edit on 25-10-2010 by dragonsmusic because: (no reason given)

Ahhh...thank you, tin foil hat wearing nation...for taking notice to this the way I did...

Yes , that's right...they are greased, lubricated, and ready...all they have to do now is just stick it in and then we will all be f-----

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
the internet was created to spy on the world. why would they sensor it now, when they are being focused on.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
We love being told what to do huh?
I guess we're lost without guidance right?
No my friend don't look at that, THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE.....

What happened my brothers and sisters?
We are all lost, insisting we are on tracc

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

this will not come to pass. the reason being that all the people who developed the internet to what it is today, and would be continuing the development, told the comittee this would literally kill the internet.

www.eff.org...

talk about a truly unalienable right.

peace,
mbzastava

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PsychNurse

I think your wrong. Not insulting you or anything but I think the US government has more influence in the Canadian than you know.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Taking a stand means choosing a destiny other than the ones your government allows! We protest the capitalists by choosing not to buy there product. We protest internet restrictions by not subscribing. Access to the internet is not water, it's not food, it's what we can live without.

If big business buys the votes the way so many of us know they do, then let the big business of ISPs and cell service providers influence this by showing that the populace will not stand for their tyranny! If nothing else, let our voices be heard beforehand!

I know the term "revolution" is a bit riske', but I hold no binding to its definition. Just as freedom is now defined by one who drinks earth's water untaxed, or feeds their family without the need of money. . .and yes, they do exist, so must freedom be defined by an un-muzzled people.

As for comments made by those outside the US, rather than state that you're not worried because you're elsewhere and it therefore doesn't affect you, why not, instead, realize that bretheren is bretheren, and if you let your brother fall, you too will be destined to meet the same fate.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
So how does this bill effect te rest of the world?
What ever happened to the land of the free and all that crap?
You guys need a new slogan, how about "The land of the free unless told otherwise by the government"?
Or the land of the Lost? Yeah that one has a nice ring to it, would make a good movie title...oh wait.

Man how hypocritical is it to be bashing other countries for censoring their interwebs while they are doing the same damn thing? America land of hypocrisy. Guess Rage against the Machine had it right all along.

They better stay away from the rest of the worlds interwebs or I predict a worldwide riot. What the heck do you think will happen in Europe if they tried to doe sometihing like that? The current riots would be nothing in comparisson to what would happen then.

edit on 26-10-2010 by KingKickass123 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-10-2010 by KingKickass123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Being somewhat poor, there are not many things I can do for fun, most things cost money that's the way it is. Internet is not only cheap entertainment to me, but also a newssource and one big library I can spend a life time reading. I gain more understanding of this world I live in, I can read about things said and done by people miles away. I'm sure there are many more like me and more on the way.

Part of me wants the government to impose laws like this hoping the masses will finally stand up. But I guess like most things this is just about the money and not so much preventing the masses from reading unwanted information, if this bill would pass it would likely not last, become undone again and some royalty arrangement would be made.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I doubt this will go anywhere. If it does though it isn't the end all be all. It's just change. If not now eventually this WILL happen. Then private companies will start up other nets. Maybe there will be citywide networks, or you pay the price for a worldwide one. People might pay more for an unsuppressed network. And of course the WWW will always be there lurking people will get around whatever the gov puts up.

Really though, I just don't think this will fly. I'm not gonna let it fly, are you?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
What bye bye ATS no way i hope there will be underground internet company to provide www so i can read the real news on ATS not some snip of a snap like Fox. I really hope that web site like ATS and oders that provide the oder side of the coin (news) will stand tall before its to late

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
See you USA after revolution.

If this will not make revolution in USA, nothing will - USA will become useless puppets.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
It's got to happen, they have to censor the internet because it's causing powerful people too much trouble. The internet means any injustice can instantly be spread around the world to a billion people, that's serious power. But of course the real danger is simply the level playing field the internet provides. A teenager in his bedroom, hacking away all night can be a terrible danger if he finds some incriminating information on some database somewhere.

So yeah i think we're seeing the beginning of the end, freedom is just slowly being destroyed more and more. I'm not ignorant enough to think we in the west are rtuly oppressed like some other countries but this slow chipping away of our rights and freedoms is sickening.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Good. If the internet shut down, people might actually take to the streets with their disdain/complaints/thoughts/feelings.

The internet is a pretty mellow medium of communication, and everything that's said stays in the Web's microcosm of an existence to pass with time...

I sometimes wonder...

What if they had the internet in the times shortly preceding the American Revolutionary War? Would people have taken action to make a "change", or would they simply be speculating/ranting/complaining/fretting on web forums such as ATS and never do anything about it?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
RIP
THE INTERNET
It was fun while it lasted

This law is very very dumb.... it will cause more bad than good.... they can never shut down the internet for security sake.... I hope they are not comfortable enough with their "abilities" to think this can be a safe thing to do and will not carry a certain consequence. There is no way they do this.... but if they do here is what I will do..... cut my service and disregard the internet altogether.... then I will boycott everything else that is government/corporate sponsored mind terrorism; psyops.... and I guess it is back to radio.... lol how can they track us then?.... this too shall pass

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Last I heard, this bill is stalled in Senate:

On September 30, 2010, the Senate Judiciary Committee postponed the scheduled markup of the Internet censorship bill — a fantastic outcome, given that the entertainment industry and their allies in Congress had hoped this bill would be quickly approved before the Senators went home for the October recess. Massive thanks to all who used the EFF Action Center to write to your Senators to oppose this bill.
source

And from an article from yesterday:

As has been widely reported, the “Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act” or “COICA” has stalled in the Senate. This amazingly noxious bill was expected to sail through Congress on the backs of “Big IP,” the recording, movie and television industries. If this bill becomes law, it will have far reaching effects on the Internet as a whole.
source

So, there's still time to contact politicians and voice your disapproval, which I plan to do.

-TheAssoc.
edit on 26-10-2010 by TheAssociate because: Added second source.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I can guarantee that nobody will care enough to do a damn thing to stop this. You will just roll over and take it hard, letting the corporations and government rob us even more. You should be out destroying them not letting them destroy what good is left.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join