It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks suffers "first major security breach."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Wikileaks suffers "first major security breach."

blogs.forbes.com

As the whistle-blower organization prepared earlier this week for a Saturday press conference that some believe will announce a major release of secret data regarding the Iraq war, a staffer wrote Wednesday on the organization’s twitter feed that its “communications infrastructure is currently under attack,” adding the cryptic message “Project BO move to coms channel S. Activate Reston5.”

A Wikileaks source who asks to remain anonymous now says that the organization’s XMPP server in Amsterdam, used to host its encrypted instant messaging communications, was compromised earlier t
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I didn't see this posted anywhere.
So there is your explanation for that coded message. Earlier this week Wikileaks was attacked by some "very skilled hackers." The article explains that this forced them to release the Iraq docs ahead of schedule (I did notice there wasn't much buzz about it being released today so this makes sense that it's a head of schedule, or the MSM is following orders I guess)

blogs.forbes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I know the Chinese did a lot of hacking on the US DOD computers attacking the computers who login to DOD servers for off site locations stealing the PKI certificates so they could hack into the DOD servers with the compromised PKI certificates. The DOD began putting the certificates in containers that were protected to secure them. Im sure there experience of being hacked themselves gave them the know how to do it to someone else.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Maybe all this BS is to give them credibility, the US government can easily stop them, if they were releasing these info without US permission, this is all BS.

Controlled leak, don't fall for BS again, we have been eating it since I can't even remember no more.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Maybe all this BS is to give them credibility, the US government can easily stop them, if they were releasing these info without US permission, this is all BS.

Controlled leak, don't fall for BS again, we have been eating it since I can't even remember no more.

I'm not saying for certain. It is likely the U.S. could, and possible that it's a controlled leak. Then you have to ask other questions. What if they have come up with a system that you can't possibly stop, even the U.S. I know a lot of people are suspicious that the wikileaks is a fraud so that the government will have a reason to "control" the internet. I pose what if Wikileaks and Assange know that what they are doing could have that kind of backlash, but continue because they know/think that if the government tried to do something like that Americans would actually stand up to it. What if WL is doing what they can to incite some sort of action from the American people? Not that this is what I believe or the case, but what if?

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

What? omg..
what proof do you have that wikileaks can be taken down by american government? you think because they're american and you think americans are the most poweful beings of the world and they control the interwebs?

honestly is that post for real?

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
reply to post by oozyism

What? omg..
what proof do you have that wikileaks can be taken down by american government? you think because they're american and you think americans are the most poweful beings of the world and they control the interwebs?

I agree. They don't just confine their data to one laptop. They have many many locations and many many people working to get this stuff out. They are hackers, they know what they are doing.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
reply to post by oozyism

What? omg..

The US government + the CIA + the special forces could have, and can easily get rid of WikiLeaks within 1 week.

It isn't that hard.

You are making it sound like WikiLeak is a government, or a powerful and well protected group of people.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Do you know what whistleblower means.

It has nothing to do with hacking.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

And you're acting like our government, cia, and special forces are god....trust me, they would rather have you think they are that competent rather than reveal how incompetent they are.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Do you know what whistleblower means.

It has nothing to do with hacking.

Do you know what YOU are talking about? Read up on Mr. Assange. He's a bit more than just a whistle blower.
Also, there are laws, despite how often our government breaks them. These people are operating out of another country, and as much as the U.S. would like to have free range there they can't.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigbomb456
reply to post by oozyism

And you're acting like our government, cia, and special forces are god....trust me, they would rather have you think they are that competent rather than reveal how incompetent they are.

Do you have any clue how powerful the US government is, and do you have any idea why the US rules most of the world.

It still does, the US still has all its military bases around the world, and can destroy countries and destroy armies within a week. One thing it has failed against is obviously Afghanistan, but Afghanistan has the track record of defeating empires.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

The US government owns Europe, don't forget US invaded Europe during WWII.

Do you remember the cold war? Both US and USSR was fighting to take over Europe, because Europe collapsed due to inward fighting amongst European countries?

US is the Ayatollah of Europe, that I thought would be clear after 7 decades.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

The US government owns Europe, don't forget US invaded Europe during WWII.

Do you remember the cold war? Both US and USSR was fighting to take over Europe, because Europe collapsed due to inward fighting amongst European countries?

US is the Ayatollah of Europe, that I thought would be clear after 7 decades.

This changes nothing, we are talking about an anonymous group of hackers spreading information through the internet. People based throughout the world. They could very well set up a system that the our govt. couldn't stop. Assange is only the spokesperson. There have been leaks from Russia, and it's very well possible that there are WL "staff" there. Think the U.S. would have free range there? The U.S. can't do as it pleases. Think of Roman Polanski for one second? It took us 30 years, and a mistake on his part to have him extradited. Different scenario I know, but countries don't just bend to our will on a whim.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

1. These files were not hacked by WikiLeaks, these files were apparently leaked by Government staff.
2. Yes Europe does bow down to US will, as I said previously, US is the Ayatollah of Europe, and I backed it up with cold war, and how two empires were clearly fighting over Europe, hence the German wall.

3. How do you know it wasn't a control leak? Even if WikiLeak is not a disinfo branch of the CIA, how do we know the US government isn't intentionally leaking specific files for its own advantage, and creating its own files on the way.

4. There are no names in the files, how can you confirm anything?

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

1. These files were not hacked by WikiLeaks, these files were apparently leaked by Government staff.
2. Yes Europe does bow down to US will, as I said previously, US is the Ayatollah of Europe, and I backed it up with cold war, and how two empires were clearly fighting over Europe, hence the German wall.

3. How do you know it wasn't a control leak? Even if WikiLeak is not a disinfo branch of the CIA, how do we know the US government isn't intentionally leaking specific files for its own advantage, and creating its own files on the way.

4. There are no names in the files, how can you confirm anything?

Yes, I'm aware of how they got the files. That isn't why I mentioned they were hackers. I mentioned that because I'm saying they know their way around computers. They know how to transfer and spread their information without being traced. I never said I didn't know it was a controlled leak. I've talked about that possibility many times in the past on wikileaks threads. They go over the docs and remove names to avoid endangering those people. If you think it was a controlled leak what do you imagine the motive for the government allowing this information out would be? You went back to Europe. I'm saying this is worldwide anons.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

If you think it was a controlled leak what do you imagine the motive for the government allowing this information out would be?

What would be the motive behind blaming Iran in the leaked documents?

Why, WAR of course!

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSam

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

If you think it was a controlled leak what do you imagine the motive for the government allowing this information out would be?

What would be the motive behind blaming Iran in the leaked documents?

Why, WAR of course!

No, it's not that simple. That would make sense if it wasn't 400,000 docs and everything released was leaning that direction. People in the U.S. aren't going to say "ah look what Iran did" if that was the case we would already be there. They are going to see what we did. That's the thing we can fix without getting into two wars. It took 9/11 to get us into the first two. A couple bad reports on Iran isn't going to take us there.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by bigbomb456

ERR... Really?

You must not know any SOCOM types right?

If their hackers are anything like their door kickers (they're better!) then y'all should in fact be very afraid. I have a buddy who is now collecting a disability check which he hates and fought for 9 months before they medically discharged him after he was wounded (calling what happened to him wounded is like calling a missing arm a flesh wound) and he still fought his way through surgeries etc and tried to stay in...

The injury that took him out of the game (and I've seen the silver star and paper work that proves this story btw) went like this... him and the rest of the SEAL team he was on got ambushed in Iraq ... An RPG 7 BLEW HIM THROUGH A WALL INTO THE STREET... at this point he took 2 rounds from a DSHK machine gun mounted in a truck bed and before he succumbed to trauma he managed to take out the guy manning the dshk and the guy who RPG'ed him.

This guy even with a more or less titanium right leg bone structure was still the most driven SCARY dude I've ever known... plastc knee cap and all.

The biggest lie the devil ever convinced people of was that he didn't exist...

What that means in laymans terms in this scenario is pretty simple... while the people from the government you interact with might seem incompetent etc... it's PR there are some FRIGHTENINGLY effective groups within the government they just aren't the guys who man the phone banks and social security offices.

Especially now that the median income for federal employees is 59 grand a year... put simply you can make more working for the government than private industry now in many cases... this shifts the balance of competence.

And with hackers even more so... it's not like in the movies a great number of those that posess the skill set necessary to do cyber stuff can and do choose their side based on pay rate.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
In the news releases saying it was going to be ok for the military to respond to cyberattacks in domestic cases, lol, they said there was recently an issue with a usb flash drive. No doubt they were referring to Bradley Manning.

There was though, at least 2 CDs that the govt. had full of torture files and stuff. Whatever happened to those?

I am still not sure that Bradley Manning did everything they say he did. lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join