It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 infants dead in california

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

10 infants dead in california

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Whooping cough, also known as pertussis, has claimed the 10th victim in California, in what health officials are calling the worst outbreak in 60 years.
Since the beginning of the year, 5,978 confirmed, probable and suspected cases of the disease have been reported in California
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Read the article....

It is very sad but...

The danger is something every parent should be aware of...

Having raised children it is a nightmare most parent do not want to go through luckily no children died on my watch as a parent or babysitter.

You worry every time something seems off. My soon to be ex-wife and myself had to deal with sleep apneia

I believew hole heartedly in childrens hospital... They I donate to due to the work I have seen first hand...

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This is very concerning. I had whopping cough as a child - a very bad case of it, I was hospitalized and it took over six months to recover. I am a grandmother today and remember still just how sick I was. It is very contagious, I hope they can get this under control before more infants or children die.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
healthy children . org

Whooping Cough (Pertussis) rated by our users About 4,000 new cases of whooping cough (pertussis) occur in the United States each year. That’s significantly less than the 183,000 cases reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1940 before the wide availability of the pertussis vaccine. Whooping cough is caused by Bordetella pertussis bacteria, which affect the linings of the airways, causing swelling and narrowing of the breathing passages. It is suspected that whooping cough is more common than we think, especially in teenagers, so vaccination remains important.

California health department Pertussis

Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Pertussis (whooping cough) is a highly contagious bacterial illness spread by coughs and sneezes. People sick with pertussis have severe coughing attacks that can last for months. Vaccination is the best defense against whooping cough. However, the immunity from vaccines wears off over time and pertussis booster vaccine rates in adolescents and adults continue to be low. As a result, pertussis continues to circulate widely in California, resulting in the hospitalization and death of young infants who are too young to get their shots. In response to the high levels of disease and death from pertussis in California during 2010, CDPH is recommending that all Californians make sure that they are immunized against pertussis, especially if they are in contact with infants. CDPH has issued new recommendations for health care providers to help with this effort. Children need five doses of DTaP by kindergarten (ages 4-6) and a Tdap booster by age 11. All teens and adults are also recommended to receive Tdap boosters. View personal stories of someone affected by Pertussis at ShotbyShot.org.

CDC link whooping cough

plenty of links...

CDPH- summary report

the pdf report mentioned in article

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Whooping Cough wiki

Pertussis, also known as whooping cough (pronounced /ˈhuːpɪŋ kɒf/), is a highly contagious disease caused by the bacterium Bordetella pertussis. It is known to last for a duration of approximately 6 weeks before subsiding. The disease derives its name from the "whoop" sound made from the inspiration of air after a cough. A similar, milder disease is caused by B. parapertussis.[1] Although many medical sources describe the whoop as "high-pitched", this is generally the case with infected babies and children only, not adults.[2]

and

Whole-cell pertussis vaccine controversy Much of the controversy surrounding the DPT vaccine in the 1970s and 1980s related to the question of whether the whole-cell pertussis component caused permanent brain injury in rare cases. Although it was well-established that the pertussis component of the DPT vaccine accounted for most of the minor local and systemic side effects in many vaccinated infants, several published studies failed to show a causal relationship between administration of the DTP vaccine and permanent brain injury. However, criticism of these studies and well-publicized anecdotal reports of DPT-induced permanent disability and death gave rise to anti-DPT movements.[7] In addition, a number of children suffered allergic and adverse reactions to the pertussis vaccination, including severe seizures. Despite this, doctors recommended the vaccine due to the overwhelming public health benefit. By the late 1970s, publicity about adverse reactions and deaths following pertussis vaccination caused the immunization rate to fall in several countries, including Great Britain, Sweden, and Japan. In many cases, a dramatic increase in the incidence of pertussis followed.[8] Unscientific claims about the vaccine forced suppliers of the vaccines preventing whooping cough out of the market.[9] These developments led Yuji Sato to introduce a safer acellular version of the pertussis vaccine for Japan in 1981. Nevertheless, other countries continued to use the whole-cell DTP formulation. In the United States, low profit margins and an increase in vaccine-related lawsuits led many manufacturers to stop producing the DTP vaccine by the early 1980s.[citation needed] In 1982, the television documentary "DTP: Vaccine Roulette" depicted the lives of children whose severe disabilities were blamed on the DTP vaccine. The negative publicity generated by the documentary led to a tremendous increase in the number of lawsuits filed against vaccine manufacturers.[10] By 1985, manufacturers of vaccine had difficulty obtaining liability insurance. The price of the DTP vaccine skyrocketed, leading to shortages around the country. Only one manufacturer of the DTP vaccine remained in the U.S. by the end of 1985. To avert a vaccine crisis, Congress in 1986 passed the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act (NCVIA), which established a federal no-fault system to compensate victims of injury caused by mandated vaccines.[11] The majority of claims that have been filed through the NCVIA have been related to injuries allegedly caused by the whole-cell DTP vaccine. The acellular pertussis vaccine was approved in the United States in 1992 for use in the combination DTaP vaccine. Research has shown the acellular vaccine to be safer, with fewer reports of adverse effects.[12] Although the whole-cell DTP vaccine is no longer used in the United States, it is still purchased by the World Health Organization and distributed to developing nations because of its much reduced cost compared to the acellular DTaP vaccine. There is newly emerging evidence that some strains of the bacteria that cause pertussis have become resistant to the acellular version of the vaccine which is leading to a rise in the incidence of whooping cough in the wealthy countries that use it[13].

news vid....

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Nearly 20 yrs ago, my cousin almost died from the vaccine against pertussis. The doctor said to never give her any more booster shots for it.
It is sad these babies have died from it.When it is caught early on, they have a better chance of survival.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

As do I... The question is... the source?

Where did it come from....

for now I will let someone else post the origin speculation...

Please do share more of the experience of how it was handled by your family....

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Population control bandwagon anyone? I'll have a drink of that Kool-Aid.....very sad situation anyway you look at it.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
One word, Vaccinate!

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol

for now I will let someone else post the origin speculation...

Please do share more of the experience of how it was handled by your family....

There has been some speculation that a few diseases we thought we had under control and were long gone are now making a comeback due to immigration (both legal and illegal) but who knows.......

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I am so worried about this! I have a 8 week old and in Australia it's gotten really bad too - it's all i'm hearing that everyone is catching it, My partner is vaccinated (because he had it in 05/06), but i'm going in in about 2 weeks to get mine, but it makes me not want to take her outside and see anyone, it sounds horrible!
All those poor parents in the US must be besides themselves

edit on 20/10/2010 by bkaust because: added a bit

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
strange story i have well raised six boys from dipers 3 mine 3 inharted anyway a couple of the boys got wooping cough but wile it lasted almost a week it was very mild and i didnt even bother taking them to the doctor .
and yes they were just fine.
But one of them at 2 started running a HIGH 104.5 fever and i rushed him to the doctor only to have the doctor say scarlet fever .Now that shocked me .
anyway as these dises seam to not only be making a come back but getting stronger i better worn my sons .
luckly i have great gens ( wrangler) man they can survive just about any abuse you put them through

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
My daughter had Whooping cough last year, our doctor wouldnt report it as such and told me so, because of the stir it would cause with the local health authorities, and with worried parents. There isnt a whole lot of treatment for it that actually works, and that makes it all the worse.
She recovered nicely, but her frequent illnesses are something we are used too, so it wasnt as stressful as it might have been for alot of other parents. Still dangerous though, especially for infants.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
To all you parents out there who refuse to get your kids or yourselves vaccinated because you've allowed junk science to convince you vaccinations cause autism or are part of some huge conspiracy, I have this to say:

Congratulations! Ten babies in California are dead because of you.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

In reply to your questions: I am not sure where it came from, I am sure other kids had it but not as bad. This was in the 1950's and my vacination card (I still have that card) shows that I was vacinated approximately 2 years before I got it. In those days the Dr. would come to the house and he saw to it that I was hospitalized (I think my Mother said for 2 weeks). I remember it being very hard to breath, I had to fight for each breath. The breathing got a little better but I was weak and had the cough for 6 months. Don't know if it makes any difference but I got it in the Spring after school was over for the year. My kids had the vaccine and they never came down with it. I hopes this helps a little. I was wondering if perhaps the vacine doesn't work on everyone? Perhaps someone else can add light to this.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I meant to add that I do recommend that children are vacinated for childhood diseases, only rarely have I heard of them not working. I feel for the family that lost their babies.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
strange story i have well raised six boys from dipers 3 mine 3 inharted anyway a couple of the boys got wooping cough but wile it lasted almost a week it was very mild and i didnt even bother taking them to the doctor .
and yes they were just fine.
But one of them at 2 started running a HIGH 104.5 fever and i rushed him to the doctor only to have the doctor say scarlet fever .Now that shocked me .
anyway as these dises seam to not only be making a come back but getting stronger i better worn my sons .
luckly i have great gens ( wrangler) man they can survive just about any abuse you put them through

Interesting I have only heard of one other person besides myself to have scarlet fever. I am assuming they diagnosed it by the strawberry like rash covering his stomach? I missed nearly all of the second half of 1st grade because of it, having had to be taught by an in home aid that came to my house or to the hospital during my many stays. I relapsed again that summer. That must have been a horrible experience for your family. To this day I have permanent health issues due to it. I hope your son survived with minimal to no long lasting complications.

Back on topic
I find this just a little odd when a month ago I noticed all the pharmacies Target,CVS, Walgreen's ect. All had big signs saying get your Whooping cough shots here. I remember thinking to myself, oh great, whooping cough must be next epidemic, I wonder what kind of scare tactics they are going to use to push this even more.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Illegal aliens

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Illegal aliens

Is this just a guess, or do you have some data to back up this assertion? If so, can you link to it and/or quote it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join