It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20-year-old student named police chief in Mexico town

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

20-year-old student named police chief in Mexico town

www.msnbc.msn.com

A 20-year-old criminology student has been named the chief of police in one of the most dangerous municipalities in Mexico's violence-wracked northern state of Chihuahua.
Marisol Valles Garcia, the only person to accept the post, took charge of public security for Guadalupe Distrito Bravo on Monday, according to radio station network Notisistema. The district has a population of 9,148 residents, according to newspaper La Jornada, and comes with at least one police car and two pairs of policemen, Notisistema reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
She was the only one to accept job in violence-wracked part of country.

So it takes a 20 year old female student, to grab the bull by the horns... Talk about a set of cojones. I hope the country rallies around her.

It goes on to say:

The state of Chihuahua has borne the brunt of spiraling drug-related violence that has left around 28,000 dead throughout Mexico in the last four years. Guadalupe's former mayor was assassinated in June, and local police have been kidnapped and murdered. At least eight people were slain in the last week alone in Guadalupe, news.com.au reported.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanistSo it takes a 20 year old female student, to grab the bull by the horns... Talk about a set of cojones.

this has got nothing to do with cojones. this is plain stupidity.

by the sound of whats happening in this area she has just signed her own death warrant.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
So, the Chief of Police position in this town is to spur community cohesion? I wonder what other "govt. organ" is in charge of drug trafficking, if not the Police?

Valles said during her swearing in that her job will not be to fight drug trafficking because that responsibility falls on other organs of government, according to Notisistema. Instead, she will focus on preventative programs for schools and neighborhoods, rehabilitating public spaces and fostering better relationships between neighbors in order to improve general security, according to Notisistema.

Regardless, hopefully her ability to pull the community together is more productive than the previous Chief.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
ballsy or stupid? i don't even give it a year and she'll get planted which as nasty as it sounds might be a good thing. if you look at the sicilian mafia that was the down fall. she could end up a martyr among the average citizens.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I wonder how long and how little is will take to buy her off? A 20 year old? Just give her a pony and I'm sure that will do the trick.

--airspoon

lol, ETA: changed "him" to "her" and changed "beautiful women" to pony. I missed the part about it being a lady.

edit on 20-10-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

the Chief is a 20 year old female...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

She still might want a few women.........never know.

Unfortunatly nobody wanted this job for a reason. I suspect in a few weeks she will find out what that reason was.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

True. Nobody wanted it for a reason - though I find it rather ironic that with all of the complaining and bemoaning and pissing about the fact that the people will not stand up for themselves, when one finally does (and barely an adult at that) she is regarded as being stupid/naive and or corruptible.

It will take more than one to make a change, but someone has to take the first step and someone else has to continue and so on and so on - whether she fails or not is less important than the fact that she is trying - and perhaps will motivate or guilt others into also taking a stand.

The call for people to action (especially on ATS) is only words, I guess...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielhanson420
ballsy or stupid?

Or corrupt?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Props to her? I'm not really sure what to think. A 20 year old with no real on the job experience in a terrible part of the world becoming a police chief...This may not of been her "brightest" decision. Good Luck your going to need it.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I was merely trying to make light of the situation, not the young lady who stepped into those shoes. Your right, she does have some balls for soing what she is doing, though whether she has the courage to not be bought off or hold her ground, is yet to be seen. In fact, she could be taking that position to enrich herself with bribes or even to help the cartels.

--airspoon

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

And if shes taking it because she actually wants to help out...then she'll probably be dead before too long.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

This isn't Walking Tall, this is real life and she will either play ball with the drug cartels or die. Nothing heroic in either one of those options.

If she wanted to make a differance then there are a lot better ways of going about it. Taking a job that nobody in the whole town wanted is not going about it in the right way.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Stupid or not, just remember that when it all hit the fan, when all the internet commandos were busily hammering away at their keypads, it took an idealistic 20 year old mexican girl to stand up. What have we come to?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I find it interesting that a young adult is trying to do what most of the people here only complain about. She obviously knows the dangers involved, yet she is stepping up to do what she thinks is right, and I say more power to her and here's hoping she stays safe.

It's much like the one man or woman in a drug and gang infested community that is terrified who begins cleaning up abandoned lots and re-painting walls; putting signs in their front yard saying that they don't sell drugs here, go find somewhere else. Most of the time people think they have the answer, yet they are afraid to be the first one to raise their hand. As soon as one person gets the ball rolling, others follow in suit, you just need a good example to begin the long and hard process of disinfecting the community. The only reason that places like that get as bad as they do is that the people that live there accept the fear and oppression that is forced upon them.

Martin Luther King Jr. was but one man, and a reverend at that, but he ended up changing an entire nation without any violence at all. So why does everyone think that just because she is a young female that she lacks the capability to make a difference? I personally would rather go into a situation knowing that I could die and trying to make my life and my neighbor's life better than to sit at home and wonder if I'm the next one to get murdered because I accidently caught a drug runner loading up a truck in my back yard.

I wish her luck, and I'm actually kind of saddened that so many people here on ATS will just throw away such noble deeds for the sake of a joke or to make themselves feel better.

King

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

If she is doing for the sake of making the place in which she resides better then YES everything you just stated is 100% true.

But you have to think that she may be forced into doing it or that she may be doing it for the bribe money.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
She is far braver than I. Good luck to her.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Bravo.

That is my take, as well.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

I was taken aback at some of the comments also. Give her a pony? WTFs that? Stupidity?

This young lady has more guts in her finger nail clippings than the entire male population in her town.

She should be admired greatly for her courage. Shame on the members making such light humor at a terrible and increasingly more dangerous situation.

BTW, threw you a star.

edit on 20/10/10 by Intelearthling because: added 'more' to 'dangerous situation'

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join