It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

500,000 Public sector Jobs To Go in Biggest spending cuts since the 1920's. UK

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Today see's the biggest cuts in the UK's budget since the 1920's. up to 500,000 public sector jobs are expected to go over the next 4 years.

Osborne acknowledges that his unprecedented spending review will take Britain into uncharted social and economic territory as he announces £83bn of spending cuts over the next four years.

The cuts will involve the loss of thousands of jobs, massive cuts in university funding, wholesale reform of public housing and further cuts to the welfare budget.

Things are going to change drastically in this country for the worse. Many programmes will be cut and services will all be affected.

I will argue that the cuts are too deep and over too short a period of time. This provides the Torries with the ideological opportunity to cut back the state for good, but if we make so many people unemployed how do we expect to come out of a recession. The Torries are relying on Private companies to fill the gap and provide work for all the unemployed.

Good luck to my fellow Brits I hope the cuts wont effect you or your community too much.

www.guardian.co.uk...
www.telegraph.co.uk...

edit on 20-10-2010 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

The Tories and their suppliant Lib-Dem lapdogs seem hell bent on dragging Britain backwards towards something akin to Victorian times.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
And the idiotic people of Britain will just lie down and take it hard up the backside as usual.

British people: you completely deserve EVERY bad thing coming your way due to your lack of action. I hope life is HELL for you all from now on because you have brought it upon yourselves. Hell, even the French people are standing up for their rights, so why the # cant you?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by EnactedEgoTrip

Just calm down i see what you are saying but wait till after the spending review first maybe this is the kick that is needed.
I do find it strange that only the french are doing anything

After all we are in the hand's of the COMDEM government good things not are way come

Thanks

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
What, like all the stuff that has gone on previously has not been enough? The people should have been out on the streets after the blood of the bankers before things got this bad. Now is too late. The bankers have not been punished, they are not paying the money back, the people who are forced to suffer are the poor, the sick and disabled, people who had nothing to do with it in the first place.

No, this country is full of cowards and bullies.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

The Tories and their suppliant Lib-Dem lapdogs seem hell bent on dragging Britain backwards towards something akin to Victorian times.

This is what I am fearing. I know people shouldnt be living on benefits if they can work, but when there are going to be 500,000 fewer jobs , it is going to be very difficult to get these people into work. So people are going to be forced to live on 25 pounds a week. Crime is going to rocket and social care is going to dwindle. I fear for the underclass in this country.
All of my voluntary projects have been cancelled, either working with homeless or vulnerable young people. Who's going to run those projects now?

Its all very depressing.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Did you read my post
i did say its strange how only the french are acting.
And i agree with you the poor are been punished while the one's that caused this mess get away scot free to me this government will only make things worse.
I say wait till after the spending review and give people time for it to sink in then we will know how far up the creek we are just my opinion.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Perhaps sensible Brits acknowledge that, after 13 years of a corrupt, vote-buying Labour government. we need to make extensive cuts. There are many people employed in the public sector that we do not need - and I'm not referring to front line services in health and the police for example. I also accept that the Tories/Lib Dems totally failed to hold the previous government to account.

So some of us expect the situation to get worse before its gets better, because that's what we need.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
"We are all in this together" says Gideon Osbourne, son of a Baron.

en.wikipedia.org...

The aristocracy is back in charge. Dont forget to doff your cap.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
"We are all in this together" says Gideon Osbourne, son of a Baron.

en.wikipedia.org...

The aristocracy is back in charge. Dont forget to doff your cap.

Did you happen to watch Dispatches earlier this week? It showed how many Tories have off-shore tax haven accounts. Mr Osbourne has an off-shore trust fund, set up by his father, so inheritance tax can be avoided.

All in this together?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

with regards to the half million jobs at risk, the government is stating that the bulk of these will be through natural wastage. ken loach give a fantastic statement to michael heseltine regarding the top richest percentage of the nation should donate five percent of their wealth to the national debt effectively wiping it. the reply back from tarzan was something akin to you are a communist. good on ken loach for standing his ground. it was the top cats that caused this mess in the first place. the poster who stated we deserve all we get because of our lack of action unlike the french, you have a good point. i think the british pysche is reserved to a point that if hell, fire and brimstone ensued most people would put the kettle on! i am keeping an eye on the french developments especially with the military intervention to break the protests. the coming days should instill in everyone how we will all be dealt with should we go the way of the french.
regards fakedirt

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Errr, don't forget to also apportion some of the blame for that to the Labour party.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DSSONE

Tories/Lib Dems totally failed to hold the previous government to account

Is that a joke seems that way to me all they have done is pass the blame that's all any new government do

Just can not wait to see where the job growth is going to come from.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

regarding offshore scumbags, i would table a motion to bar any parliamentarian from holding office if it is found that they hold offshore accounts period. trouble is the house would be empty save for a few janitors with visas!
regards fakedirt

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mars1

jobs growth in the uk from henceforth will appear in the credit recovery and insolvency businesses. i think it may be the only sector that will actually recruit.
regards fakedirt

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This whole thing is a joke, its fine making all these cuts if all the people of the U.K carry on spending how much they are, but this won't happen. People aren't going to spend money if they haven't got any, or got a job. This all all back down to most self employed people. Local council cuts so leisure centres will close and that means there will be more kids on the street and less police to deal with them. I can't belive people voted for the conservatives. This is a joke. I have 2 disabled parents that i care for as well as a job and we are basically f**ked for want of a better word.

Thanks a million to all the people who were so desperate for change. I hope this is the change you wished for

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

Yes I saw the Dispatches. The whole thing is a disgrace. If you are rich you dont have to pay tax. Crazy.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnactedEgoTrip
Hell, even the French people are standing up for their rights, so why the # cant you?

People always go on about how the French protest, but what do they actually do ?

They unfurl a few banners, set fire to innocent people's cars, and throw a few stones at the police.

Then when they've finished, the policy that they were supposedly protesting against gets implemented anyway.

edit on 20-10-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I want to comment on this, but my experience with commenting on ATS about british politics is that whatever sensible, rational response is offered either for or against, we're always subject to the us v them brigade and NWOism

Having just listened to Osbourne's speech on the Spending Review, I firmly agreed with most of where the cuts will be made and why they are being made. I think the review is fair and many realised that cuts on these scales were inevitable given the state of structural deficit.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

The're not finished though are they. And this is only about a 2 year rise in retirement age. They increased the retirement age in the UK and no one bats an eyelid.

If France was going through what we are , there would be revolution.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join