It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal data could become commodity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Personal data could become commodity

www.bbc.co.uk

Companies that want to use the personal information of people put online should pay for it, the US Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) has said.

It made the statement as it released a list of five technology trends to watch for the year ahead.

Privacy was top of the list, which also included mobile and green technology.

"The mining of personal data is here to stay; there is just too much money at stake to imagine otherwise," said Sean Murphy, of the organisation"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This is interesting. I wonder how many people will sign up...

I know I would sign in a heartbeat... Why I here you say...

Because I know my data is already out there and what we call privacy is merely an illusion. So why not be paid for the fact???

There are people that get paid for their very life blood.... Of course this kind of selfless act although has a financial reward is given because it is likely to Dave lives...

But I wonder at the uses of our personal data.... Will this mean a never ending stream of junk mail targeted at my demographic or is there something more sinister going on here??

What are thoughts on this??

Korg.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

I agree, personal data is already a comodity, except your the only one who fails to benefit. Ive got nothing to hide so i would have no problem selling mine. Theres nothing people could'nt find out anyways, so it is'nt an issue for me personaly.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Personally i don't like anybody else knowing my personal information.... why should anyone need to know my business?

It's fine if it's terrorists or the such but for the average Jo who has done nothing and has nothing to hide i don't see why he/she should have to give out their personal ID and whereabouts.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal
Theres nothing people could'nt find out anyways, so it is'nt an issue for me personaly.
If you give someone permission to run a credit check on you they can find out a lot about you.

But if anyone could get that information, I think the identity theft problem would be even worse, aren't you worried about that? And if not, shouldn't you be?

There has to be a better solution to that identity theft problem than paying Llifelock a fee to keep what's yours. (your identity).

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Theres nothing people could'nt find out anyways, so it is'nt an issue for me personaly.
If you give someone permission to run a credit check on you they can find out a lot about you.

But if anyone could get that information, I think the identity theft problem would be even worse, aren't you worried about that? And if not, shouldn't you be?

There has to be a better solution to that identity theft problem than paying Llifelock a fee to keep what's yours. (your identity).

Identity theft is more hype than anything else.

An example...

Do you know or know of someone whom has been the victim of theft or mugging??
Do you know or know of someone whom has been the victim of Identy theft??

What I’m saying is that the chances of someone assuming your identic for fraud purposes is so slight it isn't worth worrying about.

Personal information by the way isn't your Credit Card details, it's stuff like where do you shop, what goods do you buy, where do you live, how much do you earn, what consumer electronics do you use, what kind of media do you like....

I might add that if personal information becomes an official commodity the sources of the information would come under scrutiny, and this is likely to uncover where the real breeches of security exist and help to plug them.

Peace out,

Korg.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Yeah but if, as a result od me giving my info to lifelock, i then experince ID fraud. It would be obviouse where the breach came from and so i would be able to hold them accountable.

I would'nt personaly lose anything if someone stole my ID anyways. It may cause me some short term problems, but nothing that cant easily be reversed.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
I know I would sign in a heartbeat... Why I here you say...

Because I know my data is already out there and what we call privacy is merely an illusion. So why not be paid for the fact???

Exactly, did you watch a show on More4 recently called Erasing David? He effectively tried to "disappear" with some top private investigators searching for him.

It gave you an idea of how much information about you is floating around out there. At one point he asked his car insurance company to disclose any information that they held about him and he got hundreds of pages of seemingly useless information, that he looked "angry" on a particular day for example.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Yeah but if, as a result od me giving my info to lifelock, i then experience ID fraud. It would be obvious where the breach came from and so i would be able to hold them accountable.

I wouldn’t personally lose anything if someone stole my ID anyways. It may cause me some short term problems, but nothing that cant easily be reversed.

LifeLock is a con.

There are so many offline ways to steal information that could be used to impersonate you.

If you subscribe I would cancel forthwith.

Korg.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Do you know or know of someone whom has been the victim of theft or mugging??
Do you know or know of someone whom has been the victim of Identy theft??

What I’m saying is that the chances of someone assuming your identic for fraud purposes is so slight it isn't worth worrying about.
In the USA it's almost 5% of the population, or about one person in 20, who has been a victim of identity fraud, according to this:

www.sileo.com...

According to Javelin Strategy and Research, Identity Fraud continues to rise, but mean customer costs and resolution time have decreased. In their latest 2010 Identity Fraud Survey Report they found that Identity fraud has risen to 11.1 MILLION US victims, which is up 12% from 9.9 MILLION in 2008. That is a significant climb.

4.81 % of the US population is a victim of Identity Fraud...
The risk of Identity Theft through social networking has nearly doubled in the last year.

Why has the risk of identity theft through social networking nearly doubled? Think about that.

I'm guessing most of the people I know are careful like I am, which is why I don't personally know victims, some of whom are probably less careful than my friends and I are.

Personal information by the way isn't your Credit Card details, it's stuff like where do you shop, what goods do you buy, where do you live, how much do you earn, what consumer electronics do you use, what kind of media do you like....
The SSN is key but I would argue even some of that other information like income level can be helpful in perpetrating identity fraud. For example, income is one of the questions asked on credit applications.

What Can we learn from these new statistics?

To prevent identity theft, it’s imperative that you think critically about what you share freely over the internet and through social networking sites. What you post is permanent, public, and exploitable.

An auditor for the 2010 census asked me some questions and one of them was my SSN and I refused to give it to him, everyone he asked should have refused to answer that question, but I doubt that's the case.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
What some people seem to not realize is that you are already providing big brother with more information than you think.
Club card such as Costco provide all your purchasing history for that store and their providers.
Air Mile card
Credit cards
Library cards
Bus pass
Driver's license
you cell phone
GPS units

All these and more can provide big brother with anything they want to know about you so as you as you see....We're already "screwed" LOL

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Yeah but if, as a result od me giving my info to lifelock, i then experience ID fraud. It would be obvious where the breach came from and so i would be able to hold them accountable.

I wouldn’t personally lose anything if someone stole my ID anyways. It may cause me some short term problems, but nothing that cant easily be reversed.

LifeLock is a con.

There are so many offline ways to steal information that could be used to impersonate you.

If you subscribe I would cancel forthwith.

Korg.

I was just using his example lol

Theres no way i would pay anyone to hold my info for me. Its all out there anyways.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
What some people seem to not realize is that you are already providing big brother with more information than you think.
Club card such as Costco provide all your purchasing history for that store and their providers.
Air Mile card
Credit cards
Library cards
Bus pass
Driver's license
you cell phone
GPS units

All these and more can provide big brother with anything they want to know about you so as you as you see....We're already "screwed" LOL

Exactly. So to be paid for the fact is money for nothing.... Now all I need to do is get my chicks for free
)

Korg.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Facebook already sells the personal information and interests of its users to third parties.

It says it in the T&C.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Facebook already sells the personal information and interests of its users to third parties.

It says it in the T&C.

As I said send me the cheque for everytime my personal information is used or sold...

I think we would all be rolling in money!!

Korg.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Your personal data is already a commodity. Do you think Google services, including searching, is free? Is Facebook and Twitter freely given away? Nope. There is a cost. That cost is your surfing habits, your purchasing history, etc. If you want secure information searching, you have to pay for closed-database access.

As for the question of knowing someone who was mugged vs. knowing a victim of identity theft... In 30 years of life, I know one person who was mugged. I know 4 who have been victims of identity theft. The latest of which had their, and child's, SSN + other personal data pulled from a Lexis Nexis search of twenty year old custody court documents. In this case it was a State government employee who was pulling info on random people through a work computer for nefarious purposes.

In truth, it isn't my shopping habits that concern me as much as it is the overarching databases accessed by low paid government employees who then sell such information to third parties (i.e. identity theft rings). Fix that security hole first, then worry about which fake friends of mine are spending too much time on non-existent farms.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Way ahead of the curv there Korg

way ahead

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Could become?

That ship sailed long ago.

new topics

top topics

join