It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neighborhood in shock over planned homeless camp

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

BREMERTON, Wash. - A residential Bremerton neighborhood is in turmoil after learning that a developer wants to put nearly three dozen plywood cabins on his land for a homeless camp.

The developer and a few supporters says the camp is sorely needed. But neighbors call it an unsightly nuisance that endangers their kids and way of life.

www.komonews.com...

Here we have some more stigmitation against the homeless. It reminds me of when domestic violence shelters would try to find a location for another shelter. The residents would find out about it and put up a fuss about it. 'We don't want their kind here' is the attitude of many.

The developer is right. We need somewhere for the homeless to stay. Tent cities get attacked and torn down by the police. Homeless people need somewhere to go just like everyone else.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

... a developer wants to put nearly three dozen plywood cabins on his land for a homeless camp.

www.komonews.com...

Is this developer a home builder or a charity?

Is the land zoned properly?

Do the shacks require a building permit and a building inspection?

If it's a charity did the developer file the correct documents with the IRS?

Is there a covenant on file reqarding improvements that are approved and disapproved of by the residants of the community?

Will the homeless people pay dues to a higher authority to support the enforcement of the covanant?

This is what it's come down to folks.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
George Bush killed the Constitution. Barack Obama is burying it. The Tea Party are the Zombies and homeless people are the left behind.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Agree, but do you want them in YOUR neighborhood? Many of the homeless are dangerous and unpredictable. As with any "group" there will be criminals, molesters, and rapist. Some may say that the "homeless" culture has a higher number of criminals on average.

If you have young children who play in the neighborhood, do you want a homeless "transient" camp next door to you?

Usually those who support such things support them "somewhere" else.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Plywood cabins?

Where will they poop and pee? geez...3 dozen is a lot of density for people with nothing but huts.

I wonder how it will proceed...I think most people fear the homeless for the wrong reasons...I've never seen a homeless person who would be interesting in stealing from someones home.

They are just looking for a place to exist.

Zoning may be a huge issue for sure, and would they stay there in the winter when it gets cold?

So many factors, this seems like a bad idea unless its done properly.

edit on 18-10-2010 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Agree, but do you want them in YOUR neighborhood? Many of the homeless are dangerous and unpredictable. As with any "group" there will be criminals, molesters, and rapist. Some may say that the "homeless" culture has a higher number of criminals on average. If you have young children who play in the neighborhood, do you want a homeless "transient" camp next door to you? Usually those who support such things support them "somewhere" else.

That is some disgusting, premeditated and regurgitated hogwash right there. Your conditioned mind is disgusting, there is no other word for it. Your false logic implies that even without the homeless people there, criminals molesters and rapists roam the streets.

The people there have the oppurtunity to help these less fortunate and their children could learn more than ANY school could teach them out of the kindness that could be offered and life experiences shared.

And of course there is higher criminal activity amongst those who have nothing and those who have had everything taken from them. YOUR VERY LAWS FORCE THEM INTO THIS. Disgusting...

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker

Agree, but do you want them in YOUR neighborhood? Many of the homeless are dangerous and unpredictable. As with any "group" there will be criminals, molesters, and rapist. Some may say that the "homeless" culture has a higher number of criminals on average.

If you have young children who play in the neighborhood, do you want a homeless "transient" camp next door to you?

I will be homeless again in a couple weeks. If I had a neighborhood, I'd welcome them with open arms.

The homeless culture has no higher of a rate of criminals than the unhomeless. Most of what homeless people are arrested for are stuff like loitering, vagrancy, panhandling, peeing in public, and similar. With the exception of panhandling, if they were not homeless the stuff they're arrested for wouldn't even be crimes. If they had homes then they could hang around the house. They would have a place to pee. They would have a bed to sleep in.

I identify with the homeless a lot more than I do with most people.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

... but do you want them in YOUR neighborhood?

... do you want a homeless "transient" camp next door to you?

How many people will answer this honestly?

I wouldn't want an encampment near me.

These kind of things belong in downtown metropolitan areas.

These people played the game of life and they came up losers.

There's no helping them now.
edit on 18-10-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Agree, but do you want them in YOUR neighborhood?

NO - - I want them in YOUR neighborhood.

What? We're better off to let them live in sewers - under bridges - and abandoned buildings - - out of site - out of mind?

They ARE in YOUR neighborhood. If housing is provided - the only difference is you will see them.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Are those people anything different from the paedophiles wife bashers, drunks, coke addicts, rapists and white collar crims that live in the suburbs?

I go back to "if it were you...what would you want?"

If, by your own words, you truely want social condemnation, to be neglected and abused, if you want total ostracisation, obtuse moral judgment with acid moral relativism mixed in..you got it! Its your choice after all!

24 hrs, a forclosure or change of governement and that 'homeless person' IS you....it happens that quickly.

If you dont like 'unsightly housing' build better houses!

Allow people time and space to regrow their human DIGNITY...and productive things happen...keep treating people like scum..you get scum.

you reap what you sow.

edit on 18-10-2010 by Rosha because: typoflu

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Yes, plus these camps are 'home' to many homeless children. These are families that would be staying there. They are regular children. They should have as 'normal' of an existance as possible.

Why are these neighborhoods filled with people who are opposed to their children playing with homeless children?? How are the homeless children going to have a stable future if they grow up ostracized??

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Many of the homeless are dangerous and unpredictable. As with any "group" there will be criminals, molesters, and rapist. Some may say that the "homeless" culture has a higher number of criminals on average.

Is that what your dad told you?

I live in Vancouver BC, There are more homeless people here then in mexico city.

Let me tell you something, these are human beings looking for a warm bed and a way to exist just like you and I.

Next time you're on the street, try my gig, give a homeless guy a bottle of water, shake his hand, ask him how his day is going and see the humanity in his eyes.

A wise guru once said that the homeless knew more about enlightenment then most in society ever will.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Yeah, Yeah,

Hater this, BullSh1t that. Facts are facts and a large percentage of "homeless" people are addicts and drunks and I have seen that first hand.

YOU can have them live at YOUR house. Practice what you preach.

Until then, stop being a hypocrite.

And by the way, If children are involved WHY ARE THEY NOT signed up for STATE AID?

Trust me, Welfare and food stamps will pay the bill.
edit on 18-10-2010 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Why are these neighborhoods filled with people who are opposed to their children playing with homeless children??

Would you want your children associating with homeless children?

Gimmie a friggin break.

Every town has another side of the tracks for a reason.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Originally posted by Jessicamsa[/i

Why are these neighborhoods filled with people who are opposed to their children playing with homeless children??

Gimmie a friggin break.

I will be homeless in couple weeks. My daughter will be a homeless child.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Why are you not signed up for State Aid? Section 8 housing, food stamps, a check, etc.

???
www.wisegeek.com...

There is no way you cannot qualify. Simply go in and claim you are a single mother separated (if married) and need help.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Gimmie a friggin break.

Cant speak for others but my kid already does hang out with kids form damaged homes and those with no homes..whats your point?

Having a roof over your head qualifies you for superior human being status - why exactly?

R

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Gimmie a friggin break.

I will be homeless in couple weeks. My daughter will be a homeless child.

Well Jessica this is what you are up against.

There are numerous government (Local, state and Federal) programs available to help you. All you have to do is go down to your city hall and sleep in the lobby for a day or two. You might also find some compassionate folks down at a local church or two.

I have yet to see a woman and her daughter standing on a street corner in the US holding up a sign that says we need food and shelter.

Now take a road trip to Mexico or some other 3rd world corrupt narco state and you'll see some shi* that you ain't never seen before.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Why are you not signed up for State Aid? Section 8 housing, food stamps, a check, etc.

???

I receive food stamps. I do not receive a check because I timed out. A check in KY is only $225/mo anyway. My deadbeat ex finally started paying child support couple years ago after not paying for years, so I get more from that then the 'check'. Section 8 housing has a long waiting list.

Beside the point.

My child is still herself/same child whether or not she has a home. A home is a material item that does not define who she is. For what reason does my daughter need to be kept away from children with homes?? What harm/threat does she pose to the children with homes?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

reply to post by Zamini

Yeah, Yeah,

Hater this, BullSh1t that. Facts are facts and a large percentage of "homeless" people are addicts and drunks and I have seen that first hand.

YOU can have them live at YOUR house. Practice what you preach.

Until then, stop being a hypocrite.

Your pie hole is quite filthy I must say.

Homeless men live in my back ally, they sweep up, collect bottles, deter thieves and when I drive into town at night they watch my car for me and make sure no one steals it and I happily pass them a buck or two.

You know NOTHING of the homeless, NOTHING, you know hollywood movies, I've eaten lunch with these people and shared a can of beer that they gave me, bought with their own money from collecting cans and who knows what else.

I'd rather live next to 200 homeless then a single person with no regard for humanity.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join