It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Determining the Compass Dirctions of Solstice and Equinox.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Hello, I am working on a project at the moment that requires me to map out both Solstice and Equinox Sunrise and Sunsets. For some reason I am having a hard time locating a good source for this information and would love some tips on where to look. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Is'nt it just East and west?

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Try this:
www.esrl.noaa.gov...
edit on 10/17/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Perfect! Thank you! This is much appreciated.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

Nope. It varies depending on longitude and latitude I believe.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

You learn something everyday

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Solstice and equinox are times, not directions. You can determine the date of equinox by placing two poles in a field. Move the western pole so it lines up with sun and the eastern pole at sunrise; stand at the eastern pole at sunset; if you see the western pole in line with the sun at sunset, you have the date of the equinox. To get the exact time of equinox, you need to take precise measurements with a telescope.

For the solstice, set up three poles. Move the middle pole north or south to line it up with the eastern pole at sunrise and with the western pole at sunset. When you stop moving the middle pole in one direction and start moving it the other way, you have solstice. This method is not very precise because the angle changes very slowly around the time of solstice. You may need to use a telescope to even get the exact date.

Another way to measure solstice is to mark the maximum length of the shadow of a tall building or pole. On the solstice, the shadow will reach maximum or minimum compared to the days before and after.

Do not look at the sun without a solar filter, expecially thru a telescope. The danger is less when the sun appears red, but you can still damage your eyes.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Okay, I appear to be mentally challenged as I think I am not coming up with the right data. This is what I am looking for:

#1 A way to map out in 'compass degrees' the exact point of sun-rise and sun set for both the Summer and Winter Solstice.

#2 The same as above for the Equinoxes.

An example of what I have worked out so far is this:

Winter Solstice Sun-Rise - (23.43 degrees)
Winter Solstice Sun-Set - (-23.43 degrees)

This is based on the 'Solar Declination' in Degrees; however, I am wondering if I should be using the 'Solar Azimuth' in place of 'Solar Declination'?

What I am doing is this:

I am in the process of designing a Land Art project for a private art school in New Mexico. I am building a circular submerged amphitheater with two entry tunnels / ramps that are lined up with true north. I want to incorporate in the surrounding hill / stone walls, slots that line up with the Solstice and Equinox Sunrise and sunsets, as well as the predominate winds. I would be happy to go into more detail if you are interested and share some of my base plans; however it is very long winded.

How I am working at the moment is with a compass rose that includes degrees placed below my working plan and am trying to work out exactly where these celestial and other earthly energetic points cross this structure.

Any help getting through this rather challenging (for me) bit of work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance once again!

Cheers all.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think you set up a circle of stones like Stonehenge.
You know north by the north star and east and west by the sun rises and
sun sets.
As the sun rises at a different location each day the number of days can be
counted for a full 365 1/4 such that the times you seek will be placed
on the calendar.
Highest North East is the start of the calendar.
Lowest South East is end of calendar.

The Solstice and Equinox must be in there at the mid points.

New England stone huts were set up for the start of spring which
would be March the start of the New Year in ancient calendars
until Rome had some fellow named January that they liked and
gave him a month that would start their calendar from now on.
Still everyone wanted to know when spring came to start planting.
Many structures are often set to some celestial event.
The 365 1/4 calendar goes back to 600BC and modern day
scholars say the ancients were just confused before that date
as one noted if not quoting Danial as saying he came out of Exile
with a new calendar. This would mean a celestial change in the
Earth rotation and dynamics.

edit on 10/17/2010 by TeslaandLyne because: Stonehenge

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

It is actually more of a solid stone ring set into the landscape partially below grade, with the above grade portion hidden behind a constructed hill. Regardless of its form I am having an oddly difficult time determining how to map the sun on the landscape. Mostly due to no training in astronomy and some confusion regarding the translation of degrees between the heavens and the earth.

My request still stands. Where to find some form of map or tool to help establish the actual place of 'apparent sunrise and sunsets' on the solstices and equinoxes.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I can find only these topics under

solstices and equinoxes determination by latitude longitude

since you might find you location and some how work out the rest.
You posted slightly before me and I was going through an arrangement
if nothing was known like first settlers or survivalists.
But I do wonder how they knew which way to build their huts.
Hope more info is found for you specific application.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Some Basic Graphic Information, 1 Working Plan and 2 Working Sections:

Plan
Section 1
Section 2

The next step in the design process is incorporating the Solstice and Equinox events as I have already stated.

The Sites I have been using to gather my solar information:
NOAA Sunrise/Sunset Calculator
NOAA Solar Position Calculator
edit on
edit on 17-10-2010 by Animal because: Added Solar Inforamtion Links. . .
extra DIV

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Question Anwsered! I was looking for Azimuth, which is equivalent to the compass points. I was also directed to a VERY cool little free program that runs of Adobe Air, called The Photographer's Ephemeris. Enjoy.

top topics

join