It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OxyContin Neurontin and Motrin Oh my! MATURE CONTENT!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Hey guys! I just wanted some help and opinions. I am curious about some of the medications that I take on a daily basis. A brief reason why I take: OxyContin 20mg (2-4 per day), Neurontin 300mg (3 per day), Motrin 600mg (3 per day).

In early February of 2010 I was complaining of Left Testicular Pain. For weeks I was debating on whether or not to go to the Local Emergency Room for the pain I was experiencing. Well, to make a very long story short, I ended up going to the hospital the Third Week of February.

I arrive at the hospital and am checked out. Again, a long story short, I was Ultra Sounded, MRI'd, and CT Scanned. Lumps were discovered on my RIGHT. The opposite side of the complaint of my pain! The LEFT, they discovered a Clotted Vein which they assumed may cause the pain. They also say what they called Micro-Calcifications, inside the LEFT. They also stated that the left with these issues shouldn't be causing this much pain. At this point I am a little confused and shocked!

OK. Well I am shot up with all kinds of powerful drugs at the ER and monitored for the next three days in the Hospital, I was admitted. For the next few days I was pumped full of Hydromorphone, Morphine, Toradol, and anitbiotics. They also add that upon further investigation I have a case of Epididymitis. Bingo! This was what was causing the pain! I regain some sanity! I am not crazy for having this pain and I no longer look like a drug seeking dope head!

On day three I am discharged. I am told to follow up with a Urologist. Long story short I had my Right Testicle removed for a set of Leydig Cell Tumors. I recover over the next few weeks and am forwarded to a Pain Doctor.

At the pain doctor I am prescribed the above listed drugs. My real question and point is what are these drugs doing to me and others on the long term? I know I am addicted and dependent on the drugs. I am more concerned on what the off label consequences are. What is it doing to my chemical balance in my Brain, organs, and other body parts. I wake up some mornings, if I take my meds too early, in withdrawal like symptoms. It hurts. My body craves it!

I know we have some Doctors on here, well, I assume we do? Thanks in advance guys and this site has never failed me to date! Let's hash this out and also maybe get some other experiences. Statistically there should be hundreds of other ladies and gentlemen on these drugs!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Motrin is bad bad stuff. The others i wouldn't worry about so much, but it's my experience that in some users. motrin inhibits one ability to use search engines effectively

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by reticlevision

I get your sarcasm. Thanks. Smarty pants!

I came for an ALTERNATIVE view. I am just trying to see what others experiences are. I have been on the medical boards and forums. Those people don't think things out like the people on this site do.

Can you try again, although I liked your Motrin comment! I do have a sense of humor. The Motrin didn't hurt that!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverApologize

With all due respect NeverApologize... Asking this question here is likely to get you advice that is not accurate or possibly even that is dangerously irresponsible and ill informed.

Please, do yourself a favor and ask an honest to God, in the flesh Doctor.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Oh, no doubt! I 100% agree with you. I will certainly speak with my doctors. I just want some personal opinion and experiences.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverApologize

I get your sarcasm. Thanks. Smarty pants!

I came for an ALTERNATIVE view. I am just trying to see what others experiences are. I have been on the medical boards and forums. Those people don't think things out like the people on this site do.

Can you try again, although I liked your Motrin comment! I do have a sense of humor. The Motrin didn't hurt that!

That's the gabapentin inhibiting the ill effects of Motrin.
Seriously though, if you feel addicted to them, consult an MD post haste.
Look into alternative pain management techniques. They do work. Without pharma.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Are you suggesting things such as accupunture on my sack?!

Or are you suggesting things such as???... Please elaborate. I like your humor. You also seem intelligent too. Maybe things such as: Hypnotism, Accupuncture, Epidural Pain Shots, ETC...

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Do you really need all that pain medication to function? 20 mg of oxycontin itself is a lot. One day you're going to look in the mirror and realize you're just a medical version of a crackhead (no offense). Best to wean yourself off asap.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by American_Soviets

That is precisely the stereotype that I fear! I get that a lot. No one can ever tell that I have taken the pills as I have gotten used to the medication so much. My body has gotten so used to it that I am able to feel "normal", only when I take the pills.

You are right. I would love to know a way to wean myself off. The only problem with that is I am afraid that the pain will not be properly controlled. May you suggest an alternative to the meds? Of course only if you know one.

Thanks for the insight.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

So the above listed drugs are just for pain relief?
Or is it for swelling or another problem?
If it's purely pain releif, I'd suggest give up the drugs. And think about medical marijuana as an option, or the 'Green'.
I know this comment may get deleted because it's an illegal substance, but trust me, it works for pain relief and stress.
I'm not trying to preach the use of it. But I've found it works much much better then any medication.
Please note that I'm not trying to promote the use of it, but it is proven to be a good source of pain relief.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Acupuncture is seldom site specific, ie there are points in your ear related to your back, points in the palm of your hand related to you elbow, shoulder, etc.
so, no, I doubt you'd be getting needles in your "sack". Probably have to pay extra for that.
am a chronic pain sufferer since the age of 18, and opiates, derivatives and analogues have an opposite, un-warranted affect on me. As do most hydro-chlorides/derivatives. Pressure points can and do work to alleviate pain for many, myself included,and once you learn how , a great deal of them can be self -manipulated. Am not susceptible to hypnosis, so can't attest to it, but, the power of the mind to block pain should never be doubted.
For my own point of view, I'd try almost anything as an alternative/addendum to pharma. An alternative remedy may not work 100% to alleviate pain, but if it reduces the sensation only 50%, it may become "bearable", or at least you're 50% less reliant on substances that alter and/or hyper-activate brain chemistry and reduce perception of pain. There are many "folk" remedies that people claim success with, although delving into the area of medicinal herbs should be only done with an educated, informed approach. And "trusting" the local drug store shelf as a safe, reliable source for these alternatives isn't always the best approach.
There are many ways to force changes in brain chemistry through behavior.
I have found that forcing myself to smile when in pain works wonders, as does a simple cup of chamomile.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I'm not going to give you any medical advice in this litigious society, so what I will tell you is what I did for myself. I recently hurt my ankle. Googled some of the symptoms "bruising, swelling" and found out I sprained it. I was taking 800 mg of ibuprofen. I read about sprained ankles and developed a regimen for myself--rest and stretching and strenghtening eexercises. Now after about 6 wks, I'm a lot better but still taking ibuprofen on and off, only when I get a lot of pain. Otherwise, I just tolerate it or ice it down and massage it while I continue with the stretching and strengthening exercises.

I had excema and iritis too. If I just did what the doctors told me, I'd still be rubbing in steroid creams and using eye drops. Now I didn't avoid the medical drugs, but I told myself I didn't want to take them unless absolutely necessary. When I got flare up I did some deep self analysis and found out my eczema was from several factors--showering in really hot water and diet (eating too much wheat)--while my iritis was caused by teas, coffees, and alcohol. These are still working theories, but I've noticed if I deviate from my theories for a while my inflammation will appear and I have to go back on drugs. If I stick with my theory, then I can be drug free, which is amazing imho because today's medicine doesn't even know what causes iritis or eczema so they say it's genetic

You need to do some deep self analysis, lots of research, not be afraid to try new hypothesis, evaluate yourself, and above all be aware of yourself and what you're doing. I use to eat those saltine crackers and a few hours later my eczema would break out. Then I took a hot shower so I could clean up the skin, which made it worse.... I kept doing that to myself for years and years, never once putting two and two together. In a lot of ways, we are our own worst enemies....

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GetRadNZ

I have considered this aspect. I don't think your comment should be deleted. It is only illegal now in certain states. Other's have allowed it for the medical aspect as you have stated. I really respect your opinion on this.

Yes. It is for pain relief that I am taking this many. The Motrin is for the swelling aspect. You are correct. The OxyContin is for the sharp acute, and lasting pain.

The Neurontin is for the nerve damage that they think has happened. It is one crazy medication! It makes me feel very loopy! It only last for a short time, the effect, but it is noticeable for a few hours early in the day. Sequential doses the effect is minimal and I feel normal. It just seems to be that first AM dose.

I live in PA and am very close to NJ. I have considered traveling over the Commodore Barry Bridge for the medicinal aspect of treatment you suggest. I am a strong proponent. Especially since now I have cancer. I would qualify. I believe I am being denied a method of adequate pain relief! It makes me so mad that we can ingest such horrible drugs yet can not take something that is grown and un-tampered with!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Cheers for the positive feedback

I will admit, I do use it on the odd occasion, whether it be for pain relief when I bail. Or just the stress of life gets a bit too harsh. Even just socializing. And i don't see why it should still be illegal in most countries/states.

I do recommend you do an trial on this. Say one week without meds.
We can continue this discussion via U2U if you want to. Just so people don't start flaming me about mentioning an illegal substance

I am interested in the cancer you have.
Where is it? Is it treatable?

Cheers
Brady

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
What kind of diet are you on? Do you eat a lot of fast food and/or processed food? Read the ingredients in the foods you eat, and if you find yourself not knowing what it is or unpronounceable, don't eat it! If you can afford it, try eating only organic foods, especially fruits and vegetables. I'd seriously consider cutting out as much meat as possible, at least for a few weeks, preferably months.

Have you tried fasting? I recently did a 5 day fast, and my blood pressure when from being consistently in the 140's to now being in the 110's. You don't have to jump into something like that. Try doing a 24 hour juice fast. Then see how you tolerated it. If it was easy, go longer.....Again, just be aware of what you're doing and how it affects you--self awareness....food tends to dull the senses. If I eat, smells aren't as sharp. If I don't eat for several hours, I can smell things I don't normally smell.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Thank you guys for the overwhelming positive feedback! Again, ATS has satisfied my curiosity!

Back on topic.

I think I will be trying some of the methods you guys have mentioned. The only problem that I have come across is that sudden stoppage of OxyContin is actually physically dangerous! This was one of the reasons that I started this thread. You're methods are awesome. I am excited and motivated to try these!

To the question about my Cancer.

I have been diagnosed with Testicular and Pelvic Cancer. It is stage II and I have gone through my first bout of radiation. I am now on a break for 2-3 months. It hurts to wake in the morning and sleep soundly at night. I have issues with waking up way before my alarm due to being awoken with withdrawal. It is a horrible existence!

I have actually called and left a message with my Oncologist and Pain Management Doctors'. I should be hearing back from the on-call Doctor shortly. I am curious as to how they respond, negative or positive. I am sure I am not the first guy they have heard complain about the medications!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Good question! Yes. I am on a special diet. They have told me to limit my meat intake. If I must eat meat, eat chicken! Crazy eh?

We have a well known organic food store close to my job. I think I will go take a peek. I must do this under cover as to my Right Winger buddies would think I am turning Hippy!

I have been doing a little research on the foods we eat. Especially the preservatives we ingest. My oh my! They are absolutely horrible for your organs! We are basically embalming our insides! Thousands of years from now, buried people will be dug up perfectly preserved!

Thank you for your suggestions. They are noted and will be taken into account!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I have bad lower back pain, and my pain doc wanted to try Neurontin on me first, before moving to pain killers, and MY GOD, the Neurontin made my hands and feet feel like they were on litteral FIRE. I actually had to keep dipping my hands in water for 2 days after I stopped taking them. crazy. Did nothing for the pain either.

Ultram and other low dose pain meds helped get my life semi back to normal.

2-4 Oxy a DAY? good lord... I thought you are supposed to take 1 a day as they are time release? In any event, I hope you're doing better. Just make damn sure to drink lots of water to keep your kidneys and liver flushed and get kidney and liver tests every 6-8 Months.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Hey guys. I'm signing off right now. I will check back later this afternoon. (EST). I am going to my mothers with my pregnant wife and two year old daughter. I may make a stop at that well known organic chain store! Hopefully more people will share their experiences and we can hash out some Holistic and alternative treatments! I intend this thread to help others with the same sort of thing going on.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Ahem...to refer to one who takes medicine for pain as you so eloquently did is both hurtful and ignorant. Hate Big Pharma all that you want (as I do) but realize that morphine based drugs are sometimes the only meds that are effective. Most educated people will try any other drug with a potential to "do the trick" before beginning to try the ones with a potential for dependence. It only makes sense to do so. In my experience Drs. are sometimes more concerned with the D.E.A. and Drug laws than they are with meeting the patient's needs. Ignorance even from the inside. Any one taking this class of drugs is met with suspicion and derision simply for wanting to be free of pain enough to function as the rest of us.Not to get high. Though there are exceptions to every rule, you'll find that most are just trying to cope with their pain.
Try to not be so judgmental and try an other's shoes on for a bit. Who knows they may fit better than you anticipated.
END RANT.
STH

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join