It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Free Thinking A Mental Illness?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Is Free Thinking A Mental Illness?

offthegridnews.com

Is nonconformity and freethinking a mental illness? According to the newest addition of the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), it certainly is. The manual identifies a new mental illness called “oppositional defiant disorder” or ODD.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
the latest trends in psychotronic warfare?

i have no doubt that any and all 'personality traits' will shortly be cataloged as various diseases....

is somebody trying to prove we are all crazy?

the article reads...

"New mental illnesses identified by the DSM-IV include arrogance, narcissism, above-average creativity, cynicism, and antisocial behavior. In the past, these were called “personality traits,” but now they’re diseases."

i know many who fall under that category....

anywhoo.... all sufferers please raise your hands....

offthegridnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

Great, I wonder what kind of new 'wonder drug' big pharmaceutical companies are going to 'develop' to 'cure' this 'illness'.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

It's called "Television". Their task is to get people like you to actually watch it.

Second line, feeling blind.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Of course they are going to see non conformity and free thouht an illness. Its what stops people doing exactly what they want. If it is an illness then im going on the sick now and ill end my days growing fat on all the disability cheques thank you very much. What a load od crap.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Hi, my name is PETROLCOIN, and I've been a sufferer of Oppositional Defiant Disorder for over six years now.

This disorder has really changed my life. Many people do not understand the struggles I go through in my day-to-day life. It's difficult waking up in the morning not having the ability to believe what Glenn Beck tells me to believe.

I find it difficult to follow social trends, and I blame this horrible disorder for that. I often ask myself: "Why can't I waste my money on People Magazine like that lady?" or "Why can't I go to the voting booth and feel as if my vote is worth equal to or greater than the amount of energy exerted to operate the election manipulation software I use to cast my vote?"

People simply cannot grasp what people like me go through, and they do not understand that, unless the government and big corporations invest billions of my tax dollars into a medication that suppresses my free thought and ability to formulate my own opinions, I must struggle with this open-mind and common sense for the rest of my life.

What kind of life is that? It's like, I want to go to McDonalds and just eat myself to death because I don't want to live this way anymore. But then it's like, I can't go to McDonalds and just eat myself to death because this disorder makes my brain believe that is not a logical choice to make. So then it only makes me wish I didn't have this disorder so that I could go to McDonalds and just eat myself to death. But then it's like, well if I didn't have this disorder, I wouldn't need to go to McDonalds to just eat myself to death.

See what the disorder does? It creates paradoxes in my head. It makes it so that either way, disorder or no disorder, there's no reason to go to McDonalds and just eat myself to death. What kind of an American does that make me?

I'm disgusted with myself. This horrible disorder has ruined my life. Deep down I hope that my government develops a medicated cure for my disorder, but I know that it is incurable, for even if they did, the disorder would tell me not to take the pill.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

taises hand. every person on the planet is now completely insane, and now this means we are being governed by the most psychotic people on the planet. let alone big business ceo's. why let insane people run the country then? its almost like they want us to be more compliant and docile. why evenr would the msm want that? not like they could ake money from it or anything hahaha

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

if free thinking is a illness then everyone is ill, especially leaders or those who tell the rest how things should be. you need a free thinker to decide what is accepted or the line everybody else should follow.

sounds like they are trying to criminalize anybody that questions what they are told to think, i get the feeling this stigma will not apply to the ones doing the free thinking to come up with this. it has been invented for the masses, so they can 'treat' them if they question the free thinking powers that be.
edit on 13-10-2010 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
This is good, ha ha. At least now I know from what I've been suffering these many years. Next is making t shirts that read, ODD and Proud! I wander. . .if this is genuine, can someone diagnosed with ODD claim a disability? I mean, since it's mental iillness and all, once its diagnosed, too many people will will fall back on it, just like they have with ADD and ADHD, and OCD. I myself have been told I'm bipolar, of couse back then it was called manic depression. I also have many, many obsessive compulsions. I have since learned, though, that OCD is a rich man's disease.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
This is outrageous.. don't know what to say really.. I'm boiling with rage over here.

God I hate Big Pharma with a passion.. worthless scum!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Sanity is unfortunately measured by the social standard of "normality". That means whatever is the norm, there you have the standard. If it has become common for most people to blindly obey, follow the herd, act like automatons, be programmed, follow procedure, live by unquestioned rules, then YES: Free Thinking is a Mental Illness.

Then it becomes an additional measure of courage to think freely, because not only you are declaring that Human Nature is above that of a robotized machine, that we are something more than biological units seeking nutrition, and that Mankind can rise above Pavlovian conditioning to have a role in defining the world we "Choose" to live in.

This is why Free Thinking has been a "Revolutionary Crime" in most societies, because it dares to question the Matrix designed to curb our imagination, because it widens our horizons beyond the confines of our pig pen, as we might remember was very much the case in the model of human society transposed to the animal world by author George Orwell in his novel "Animal Farm".

Free Thinking is a POLITICAL ACT. For politics is the decision to choose where power is applied and why. It is based upon deciding what is important, which is the first step to freedom. Then politics considers how what is more important should relate to the rest, which is where things become... more political.

To think freely means that an individual will be taking political power, not only over their own mind and destiny, but also with an incidence on others they will meet and influence. Men and Women are political animals who have been purposely depoliticized at the base level, going as far as conditioning into them routine behaviors to remove any inclination to exercise this natural power over the world, that of their mind.

For this reason it has been the purpose of those exercising power over the rest of society to stigmatize any "deviant" thoughts or behaviors as dangerous, inappropriate, sick or even mentally ill. Calling independent thought madness is something which brings with it social rejection which can go so far as the physical containment of an individual who rejects the Hive Matrix.

In recent history, one area of "Insanity" was that of the much ridiculed and psychiatrically labelled "mass hallucinations" we refer to today as 'UFO sightings'. Before they were a common occurrence they were not yet ridiculed, as can be seen by this testimony by United States President who witnessed Animal Mutilations by Aliens on his farm in the 19th Century.

Fast forward one century and we find the pressure of RIDICULE so humorously and condescendingly pointing public rejection at honest elected officials dutifully exercising their public office.

Candid Testimony by Kansas Congressman Alexander Hamilton in the late 19th Century
(not to be confused with George Washington's Secretary of the Treasury seen on the $10 bill).

As for the cattle mutilations, there are indications that they may have been going on since the late 1800's. In his book "ANATOMY OF PHENOMENA" (Henry Regency Co., Chicago, ILL), researcher Jacques Vallee related the extremely well-documented account of a cattle abduction/mutilation in which a strange aerial craft was involved.

The incident was reported by none other than Alexander Hamilton (a well-known historical figure and a prominent member of the House of Representatives during the late 1800's). Hamilton signed an affidavit, notarized by 10 notable members of the community of LeRoy, Kansas, where they lived. The affidavit was dated April 21, 1897. Hamilton staked his "sacred honor" on the truth of the following account:

"On that night, Hamilton was awakened by a noise among the cattle. No sooner had he and his family gone outside than they saw to their utter amazement an "airship" described as being about 300 feet long and cigar-shaped, slowly descending over their cow lot, about 40 rods from their home. Hamilton described the object (emphasis ours - Branton) as being "...brilliantly lighted within... everything was plainly visible -- IT WAS OCCUPIED BY SIX OF THE STRANGEST BEINGS I EVER SAW. THEY WERE JABBERING TOGETHER, BUT WE COULD NOT UNDERSTAND A WORD THEY SAID..."

"Hamilton and his son Wall, and a tenant by the name of Gid Heslip, then went over to the lot where they saw a 2-year-old heifer bawling and jumping, stuck to a fence. They found a reddish cable fastened around the heifer's neck which led up to the craft. They managed to get the cable loosed from the fence but were unable to get it off the cows neck, and they observed while the ship, heifer and all, rose slowly and disappeared to the northwest. The following evening he found out that "...Link Thomas, about three or four miles west of Le Roy, had found the
hide, legs, and head in his field that day. He, thinking someone had butchered a stolen beast, had brought the hide to town for identification, BUT WAS GREATLY MYSTIFIED IN NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND ANY TRACKS IN THE SOFT GROUND. After identifying the hide of my brand, I went home. But every time I would drop off to sleep I would see the cursed thing, with it's big lights and hideous people. I DON'T KNOW WHETHER THEY ARE DEVILS OR ANGELS, OR WHAT; BUT WE ALL SAW THEM, AND MY WHOLE FAMILY SAW THE SHIP, and I don't want any more to do with them."

SOURCE: Cosmic Conflict & the Da'ath Wars by Branton

While at the end of the 19th Century such testimony was not yet considered to be threatening to the paradigm ruling society, at the end of the 20th Century it was an entirely different matter with such testimony calling for use of public ridicule to point out for all to see that non conform conduct is at best "Wacky" as well as a socially unacceptable form of "Insanity". In the following instance it ended the career of an elected official due to the social stigma causing prejudice to the percept of her mental stability.

Phoenix Vice-Mayor Frances Emma Barwood was first publicly ridiculed by Arizona Governor for her official position regarding widespread eyewitnessing of the Phoenix Lights. Then, once her career was destroyed some ten years later, he came back on his declarations explaining that he gave false testimony so as to "NOT STIR THE POT". Remember that what is being STIRRED IN THE POT... IS YOU.

Vice-Mayor Barwood ridiculed by Governor Fife Symington at minute 1:45

So we can only encourage one another to go out on a limb, to have wacky ideas which, if nothing else, are at least our own. And we can hereafter refer to the logical plausibility of these original ideas rather than to whether they correspond to official science, established knowledge or any form of consensus.

However, there is currently a WAR against our freedom to think, which is operated by Military Counterintelligence Programs by numerous governments at the service of an Alien Illuminati Agenda to totally control us, as can be learned in the Clone Conspiracy threads in the Skunk Works section of ATS.

Getsmart

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I am not sure that this article understands this disorder correctly.

Actively does not follow adults' requests
Angry and resentful of others
Argues with adults
Blames others for own mistakes
Has few or no friends or has lost friends
Is in constant trouble in school
Loses temper
Spiteful or seeks revenge
Touchy or easily annoyed

To fit this diagnosis, the pattern must last for at least 6 months and must be more than normal childhood misbehavior.

health.google.com...

mayoclinic.com

This is a childhood disorder and not a condition of people who ACTUALLY think for themselves. Might I suggest that people independently verify what anything tells you instead of just trusting it because it comes from a website called offthegridnews. Independent thought is not a mental health condition, but if you are a child and the above list of symptoms apply to you, well, you might have oppositional defiant disorder.

edit on 10/13/2010 by whatukno because: fixed link

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I started a thread on this a few weeks back.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Well they did say they have a cure...

Don't worry you will feel much better after

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/198c4c325c21.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

"If you aren't planning on committing crimes then you won't be troubled by having the related part of the brain removed/chipped"

*That is what the afflicted will say should that day ever come...

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Awesome. I always knew I was crazy, because my highschool principle said so and the RCMP and Army believed him. Funny how they, nor the Ministry of Mental Health who gave me a totally clear assessment, could name whatever " disease" I apparently have. I guess having a justified psychological response mechanism is now a disease and the standard is indeed total compliance. What a free world I live in

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

...you (all of us) are being medicated right now with the sodium-floride in the water, toothpaste, etc... You (all) shall be a dosile lamb in no time at all!!! ;p

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer

Great, I wonder what kind of new 'wonder drug' big pharmaceutical companies are going to 'develop' to 'cure' this 'illness'.

Exactly.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN
Hi, my name is PETROLCOIN, and I've been a sufferer of Oppositional Defiant Disorder for over six years now.

This disorder has really changed my life. Many people do not understand the struggles I go through in my day-to-day life. It's difficult waking up in the morning not having the ability to believe what Glenn Beck tells me to believe.

I find it difficult to follow social trends, and I blame this horrible disorder for that. I often ask myself: "Why can't I waste my money on People Magazine like that lady?" or "Why can't I go to the voting booth and feel as if my vote is worth equal to or greater than the amount of energy exerted to operate the election manipulation software I use to cast my vote?"

People simply cannot grasp what people like me go through, and they do not understand that, unless the government and big corporations invest billions of my tax dollars into a medication that suppresses my free thought and ability to formulate my own opinions, I must struggle with this open-mind and common sense for the rest of my life.

What kind of life is that? It's like, I want to go to McDonalds and just eat myself to death because I don't want to live this way anymore. But then it's like, I can't go to McDonalds and just eat myself to death because this disorder makes my brain believe that is not a logical choice to make. So then it only makes me wish I didn't have this disorder so that I could go to McDonalds and just eat myself to death. But then it's like, well if I didn't have this disorder, I wouldn't need to go to McDonalds to just eat myself to death.

See what the disorder does? It creates paradoxes in my head. It makes it so that either way, disorder or no disorder, there's no reason to go to McDonalds and just eat myself to death. What kind of an American does that make me?

I'm disgusted with myself. This horrible disorder has ruined my life. Deep down I hope that my government develops a medicated cure for my disorder, but I know that it is incurable, for even if they did, the disorder would tell me not to take the pill.

That. Is. Awesome.

And I have the same disease...PLEASE help us, Government, FDA, and big Pharma!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I think it is a mental disease when people sit around and label every personality trait a mental disease. I wish they had a drug to "fix" the people that do that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join