It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USA is not a Christian nation!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am quite frankly getting sick and tired of hearing on this site and elsewhere how the USA is a Christian nation for which it is clearly not!

There is no "Official State Religion of The USA" making it against the law to try to setup, establish and install any one of the recognized 2,500 holy faiths in the world as the "Official State Religion".

The 1st Amendment of The Constitution Of The United States Of America clearly defines it as :

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". This is clearly defined and prohibits the establishment of one. A majority of our problems stateside is over social and domestic issues and not on issues pertaining to faith.

Any person who will try to mandate that this is a "Christian only" nation is both Anti American and Anti Constitution and will try to force those to worship one way while making the practice of others illegal.

edit on 12-10-2010 by TheImmaculateD1 because: Clarifing what the intent of this thread is about! D1!

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 12-10-2010 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

like it or not this country exists because it does have its very foundation rooted in chrisitanity...........

every single right that we shout at the tops of our voices was due to the fact that those men has a profound beleif in their maker-god,creator whatever you want to call it..........................

this nation as we all know it wouldnt exist even if it existed at all.......................people have freedom to worship as they see fit and the majority of beleivers in this country are christian............does that make it a christian nation....................well i ask you washington dc is crooked does that mean all polticians are crooked?
edit on 12-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

It is impossible for America to be a Christian nation because the entire nation believes in using government to rob people.

The bible forbids robbery.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

You are right.

There are those however, like Glenn Beck whose Mormon faith plainly has as one of it's foundational doctrines, that America is the "New Zion" where god will establich his earthly kingdom. Therefore, even though he will mask his beliefs behind political and social veils, his faith clearly dictates to him that Christians, (well his brand of them anyway) must control this nation and politicize their faith.

Most evangelicals and fundamentals also have a Zionist complex about America which is why the Mormon Glenn Beck was the Commencement Speaker at Liberty University (Jerry Falwell). In times past there has always been a bitter divide between mainstream Christianity and Mormonism, one referring to the other as a cult. However it seems that divide has been overcome through the power of political agenda. Hallelujah!

Of course we really don't need to go into the Catholic church's love of political power throughout the ages do we?

The great irony in all this is that all of these followers of Jesus Christ fail to see what is in fact VERY obvious throughout the four Gospels, the Acts and the Epistles and throughout the writings of early church leaders up until the time of Constantine, went to great extremes to not be political. They taught and practiced a life that wasn't about race, national origin or political affiliation and they happened to do all of this under one of the most tyrannical political systems known to man, Caesar's Rome.

They had no aspirations for politics our national loyalty. They believed what they were taught that they were, "...strangers and aliens, in this world but not of it...priests and ambassadors of a kingdom not of this world."

The problem with that kind of thinking is that is does very little to fulfill your power-lust or greed...

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

hey now not everyone i dont believe in robbing peter to pay paul

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

It is impossible for America to be a Christian nation because the entire nation believes in using government to rob people.

You clealy do not realize nor understand the purpose of this thread. The purpose of this is to dispell a rumour and to use it as yet a oppourtunity to attack the nation is wrong and ill informed. To interject the bible in this is wrong.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Isn't there an ATS rule prohibiting having the same titled thread? Especially one made in all CAPS?

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I don't see the word christ in the constitution. Care to show me?

Just saying.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

You clealy do not realize nor understand the purpose of this thread. The purpose of this is to dispell a rumour and to use it as yet a oppourtunity to attack the nation is wrong and ill informed. To interject the bible in this is wrong.

well the thread is about christianity and last time i checked a bible is the word of god aka christianity there forever anything written in that bible is admissible in this thread...............

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Isn't there an ATS rule prohibiting having the same titled thread? Especially one made in all CAPS?

What are you talking about? The all caps in the title to emphasize that the USA is not a Christian nation and whoever finds this offensive I could care less as the law is the law.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

well the thread is about christianity and last time i checked a bible is the word of god aka christianity there forever anything written in that bible is admissible in this thread...............

To interject Biblical verses or the Holy book itself is not wanted or needed. Do not try to flip this as it will fall on deaf ears!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

whats this word meaning?

creator

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Freedom of, not from ! this country was founded on christian principles,read things the founding fathers have wrote and it will be clear as day that it is so! But freedom of, is to be separated from the state,in that no state or the fed may hinder,or put one religion over the other ! Nothing in the constitution stops any local town from putting up the ten commandments or a manora,or a Koran for that matter! that is what the framers meant buy freedom of religion!!!!!!!!!!!!! your choice personal and local,not state or federal !

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

wow man fine have it your way i see the true purpose of this thread i see no furthur use of posting here so laters...

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well Obama has made it clear

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
While you are absolutely correct that America is neither an official or de facto Christian nation since the establishment of religion is strictly forbidden in the first amendment of the Bill of Rights. But separation of church and state is not within the constitution either and was simply a phrase coined by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Danbury Baptists.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their "legislature" should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between church and State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

en.wikipedia.org...

So there is no official Separation of Church and State but there is an official statement within the Constitution which bars the government from establishing a religion or favoring any religion.

But you have to also take into account at that time the only religions were the different forms of Christianity and Deism(non-religion). As of today 76% identify as Christian which is an overwhelming majority. So arguing that the American people aren't generally Christian is nonsense(although I'm not Christian).

Since the Constitution was so vague it could be interpreted in a wide variety of ways. As far as "Anything short of official religion" to as far as "No religion in government at all".

So we will continue to have the debate, but I don't think trying to tear down Christianity in American society is a wise choice and it's not good for our culture or for our politics either. I personally support Ten Commandments in public buildings, children OPTING to pray in school and Christmas trees and baby Jesus on public property.
edit on 10/12/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The United States of America was indeed founded on christian beliefs. A simple look at the laws written would tell you that. Also our court system is a christian based system. That is why you swear on the bible to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you GOD. Sorry to break apart your fragile little existence, but yes the main religion in the USA is in fact ....... omg say it isn't so.... christianity oh noes. In fact christians out number all other religions in the US 3 to 1 so stating that the US is not a christian nation is a false statement. Why is it a false statement? Because this great nation of ours believes in majority rules, and guess who the majority is?

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

christ was his son you know this i know this we all know this

Would a person of the Jewish faith know and agree that Christ was the son of god?

Just asking.
edit on 12-10-2010 by joewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by slinger
Freedom of, not from ! this country was founded on christian principles,read things the founding fathers have wrote and it will be clear as day that it is so! But freedom of, is to be separated from the state,in that no state or the fed may hinder,or put one religion over the other ! Nothing in the constitution stops any local town from putting up the ten commandments or a manora,or a Koran for that matter! that is what the framers meant buy freedom of religion!!!!!!!!!!!!! your choice personal and local,not state or federal !

Those who use the founding fathers of our nation as a source for enlightenment and truth must address this fact.

Many of those men signed their name to these beautiful words "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." As they ratified this amazing declaration, many did so feeling fully justified in the right to own another human being.

I do not expect perfection from humanity including our founding fathers and I fully respect the positive attributes that their efforts and sacrifices lent to me enjoying the amazing life I have here in America. That being said I cannot ignore their abundant hypocrisy betweent the matters of word and deed towards so many human beings in this nation and around the world in our nation's infancy.

This nation may have been founded by religious profiteers seeking asylum from the tyranny of a monarchy, but it is my opinion that if one were to ask God what His plan for America was, I suspect is was more akin to the spirit of the Pilgrims and Puritans who first arrived here.

Here we also see a group of religious people coming here to escape tyranny. However, this group of people were not greedy or power hungry. They learned to live and coexist with the native in peace and mutual benefit even though they were different in nearly every way imaginable. In fact their survival depended on that coexistence. I believe through that love and peace, the bonds that would form with the Natives would lead to exposure of God's light without the 7th Calvary's help even.

The America we have today did not evolve from that time that we celebrate every November with copious amounts of food and football. Yes, a thread of that remains, but by in large we are the America that evolved from a group of people pontificating about freedom and liberty while building their empire on the backs of slaves and entire races that were "in the way".
edit on 12-10-2010 by JudgedCover because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2010 by JudgedCover because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by joewalker

Any reason he should have too?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join