It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F117 post retirement

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
F117 photo 1
F117 photo 2

These photos were taken on October 5th, 2010 in the vicinity of Queen City Summit (basically northeast of Groom Lake) by someone who wishes to remain anonymous. Clearly they look like a stock F117, well except that airframe was officially retired. Based on callsigns heard, the F117 flew again on Oct 7th, though it was not visually spotted. Those that heard the scanner traffic had a visual on the Tonopah Test Range, so it can be confirmed that the F117 did not come from the TTR. By default, that means it came from Groom.

I photographed a F117 from Tikaboo performing flame out proficiency training, so my guess is there is at least one F117 that still remains at Groom Lake. Here is the rather grainy photo of the F117 on the ground at Groom Lake, taken in May 2004:
F117 at Groom Lake May 2004

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

How can we tell when those pics were taken? And arn't they just retired from military service? Could flying aircraft still be maintained for hwatever reason?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The photographer is a trusted source. If stated the photographs were taken on 10/5/2010, then that is the case. I've got a bit more info on the event, but need to figure out what to post and what to keep in reserve.

I suppose you can ask for EXIF data, but that is easily altered.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
well just because the air force retired them doesn't mean that they were "retired" one of the alphabet soup agencies could be using some of them. or Lockheed Could be working on an updated version of the f-117. maybe adding afterburners to it and air to air capabilities.

needless to say Gariac if those pics were taken this month i think its safe to say someone is still using the f-117's for something. and i think i saw one flying around missouri the other night but can't be sure. just something about the nav lights on this aircraft i saw the other night just screamed F-117 and the fact i couldn't hear it until after it passed and it wasn't flying low either.

Edit to add. the government spent a lot of money to develop that tech. I find it hard to believe that they would just retire them only after 25 years of service. with upgrades that plane could have easily lasted another 15 years in service.
edit on 10/11/2010 by Mercenary2007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by gariac
I suppose you can ask for EXIF data, but that is easily altered.

I had a quick look with an online exif viewer and, as usual for things uploads like that, nothing.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
agencies could be using some of them. or Lockheed Could be working on an updated version of the f-117. maybe adding afterburners to it and air to air capabilities.

Nah, won't be sticking any more fighter capability into it, no good - the thing was really an xplane that happened to get into full time service for a while, a test bed, it aint got nothing on any real fighter, it's no match for even an F-86 Sabre
all it had was the batman thing going for it, which is still useful - but it will be developing that area probably, of just flying new kit that's being developed.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
well just because the air force retired them doesn't mean that they were "retired" one of the alphabet soup agencies could be using some of them.

True, remember NASA was flying SR-71's after the USAF had retired theirs...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

actually they did make a proposal to the DOD for a navy version and a land based version with afterburners external hard points to carry an additional 8,000 pounds of ordnance a reworked tail design new canopy and a whole list of upgrades and redesigns but the DOD rejected Lockheed's proposal but thats not to say Lockheed hasn't been trying to do it on their own.

and the f-117 was hardly an xplane that was lucky to see service. most of the tech in the aircraft is still classified to this day so no one really knows what it could or couldn't do! and with the addtion of air to air capabilities it would destory an f-86. the f 86 would have to see the f117 to kill it while the f-117 if given true fighter capabilities would just stand off and kill the sabre with a missile.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

I wouldn't say most of the F-117 is still classified. More like just a couple things. Like the radar absorbent skin, possibly the composites used to make the airframe and such.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I just got a tiff with exif. Shutter speed 1/512. F8 focal length 380mm. The date is an indicated. Shot around 2PM on the 5th as indicated. I'd need to strip the actual time since it indicates the time zone of the photographer.

I generally strip the exif off my photos since it just takes up space and often I don't have the date or time set correctly anyway.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I remember their was talk a couple years ago of turning the F-117 into a UAV

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by danwild6

That would make sense.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Video can be found here:
www.lazygranch.com...

The video shows both the F117 with unknown tail number and the Lincoln Labs radar plane N105TB.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I should have mentioned you need videolan (vlc) player for flv files.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Can't you upload flv's to YouTube?

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Shrewd22

What is the point of uploading to youtube when you can't just download the video and examine it at your leisure.

The crap factor on youtube is quite high. It is best not to be associated with it. Othere than whatever adverts you see on ATS, I bring the video advert free. I'm sure some jerk will upload this video to youtube to make some money. Google is completely useless in policing copyrights unless you are a major studio. Google won't take down stolen material, but justs ask that you contact the thief.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6

This is quite possible. It could be used to test some other coating technologies. It may no longer be used by the AF but it can still be used as a testbed.
edit on 13-10-2010 by LSWONE because: (no reason given)

Found this on another Forum. LOL!

Abovetopsecret forums are terrible, and shoud not be considered as a source.

That said, i will be much more surpriced if they *weren't* flying... wink.gif

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LSWONE

Originally posted by danwild6

This is quite possible. It could be used to test some other coating technologies. It may no longer be used by the AF but it can still be used as a testbed.

Found this on another Forum. LOL!

Abovetopsecret forums are terrible, and shoud not be considered as a source.

That said, i will be much more surpriced if they *weren't* flying... wink.gif

Gariac - awesome video. I got so many questions is stupid. First off though is what on earth is that F-117 doing direct beneath and behind the radar test airframe? it looks so close the pilot could pop the lid and reach out and touch it.

My second point is that people on other web pages see 'ATS' and roll their eyes. Alot of the times without even reviewing the material offered. In this instance it is caste iron solid irrefutable proof of the F-117 reactivated / on test by some one. Who and for what remain to be seen.

My $0.02 is for a new composite skin and the UCAV variant to get thrown into use.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
In 2004 the MiT team who worked on the airborne seeker test bed airframe seen in the video were using it to develop sensors to hunt low observable / high speed / low level targets. Could this be an exercise to stretch the sensors?

Maybe the F-117 was the best LO airframe they had on call for it instead of taking an F-22 out of service for the programme length.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
That video doesn't appear to be "one take." I wouldn't trust the sequence of the aircraft. In operation, N105TB chases the target.

Regarding the F22 as a low observable target/testbed versus F117, how is this theory? They wanted to test some gear and didn't want to hack up a perfectly good F22, so they dusted off a F117. It is not like the base doesn't have any suitable pilots for the F117. We know they had at least one pilot in 2004 that flew rhe F117 at Groom.

The F22 seemed to be developed very much in the open. Maybe it never flew at Groom and they have no "cleared" F22 pilots for this test.

Ok, I'm rambling.....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join