It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mature topic for women and men with daughters.- Feminine Survival Hygiene

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This is a topic that is often put on the back burner but would quickly become a top priority in long term survival. For all women and men with daughters who are planning survival kits, BOBs, and long term self sustainability this needs to be considered. How do we care for ourselves or our daughters during menstrual cycles?
Stores are our current chief source of products but they might not always be there. What alternatives do we have? Surprisingly there is little information available so I've gathered up the best of what I could find.

In a survival situation sanitary pads and tampons will actually best be used for wound packing so we need different ways to ensure our sanitary cleanliness. First there are homemade (washable and reusable pads). Here is a video that shows how to make them.

Here are two videos that talk about making soap for washing, shampooing and cleaning of feminine products.
Part One:

Part Two:

A book that should be a must have for any woman and any family with daughters.
Where Women Have No Doctor: A Health Guide for Women
[PDF of the contents] Hesperian's PDF of the Table of Contents for: Where Women Have No Doctor
Link for purchase: Amazon - book "Where Women Have No Doctor"

From the Back Cover Where Women Have No Doctor combines self-help medical information with an understanding of the ways poverty, discrimination and cultural beliefs limit women's health and access to care. Developed with community-based groups and medical experts from more than 30 countries, this book can help anyone understand, treat and prevent many of the health problems that affect women.

An alternative to the homemade sanitary pad is the menstrual cup. It is washable, reuseable, hypoallergenic and dependable.
Wikipedia's article: Wikipedia article on sanitary cup This seems like such a smart way to go, IMO.
edit on 10/10/2010 by SeenMyShare because: fixed video link

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Flagged.

An important topic that is sure to be overlooked by many who just didn't think of some of these issues/concerns in their preparations.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I could find darn little with regards to preventing wildlife predators from tracking a woman with her monthly cycle, so I'll just give my opinion. Cleanliness is of the utmost importance and disposal of modern sanitary items should always be done by fire. Do not bury them, carelessly discard them or "bag" them for later disposal. They should be burnt immediately. Washable pads should be washed as soon as humanly possible and the water disposed of some distance from camp. They should also be boiled for both sanitary reasons and to kill any lingering odors.

Do your best to remain close to camp during this time. Traveling too far from camp may invite scenting predators to follow you "home". You'll need more water than usual at this time due to the need for cleanliness for personal reasons and to prevent the scent from reaching wildlife.

IMO the menstrual cup would be the most ideal. Two changes a day sure beat multiple changes a day, they are easily washed and sanitized even in the wild and they last according to the manufacturers about ten years. I'm not sure I'd want to use one that long but its good to know they can be if necessary.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Regarding disposal of feminine products: Some of the old time hunters in my area tell me that to lure animals in for hunting they've actually used .... well....... used sanitary products. They place them in a clearing and sit back and wait. I've been told this works for deer as well as coyote and bear. Its not a very pleasant thought but when hunger beats out niceties its worth considering.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'm a guy but logic says those cups would be stupid impractical and uncomfortable. The cloth idea that tam had was a good one though; very lightweight and compact.

This is a good topic, you're right, it doesn't get enough attention.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Just to address the menstrual cup topic - I've used them during extended backpacking trips and they are awesome. I'm sure no details are really required here as there are many sites one can go to if interested, an example here, but let me just say that they are not uncomfortable, they are extremely practical and well worth the investment for anyone who thinks they may be outdoors for any length of time.

edit on 10-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
For those who plan to have a permanent BOL this little item of convenience might be worth it's weight in gold. Regarding the washable feminine items it would be an awesome addition. In addition, toilet paper would quickly run out and old rags, washcloths, etc could be used, washed, boiled and reused safely.

Tiny Washing Machine

edit on 10/10/2010 by SeenMyShare because: added a link

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the good info. I also thought of using birth control pills to put off a cycle. However, for the long term kind of survival situation that's not very practical. The most I've ever had on hand were about six months worth of pills. I would go with the reusable cup. Seems to be the best choice.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

It would be a good idea to buy a few in various ... umm... sizes, as spares and as circumstances change. If you have daughters even if they aren't old enough yet keep a supply of washable pads and one or two cups for when they get older.

For men who are raising daughters alone I'd recommend printing out these instructions for use and care of the cup.

WikiHow: How to use a menstrual cup
WikiHow: How to clean a menstrual cup

and these for making homemade menstrual pads:

WikiHow: How to make your own resuable menstrual pads

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
In researching this topic I've found an alternative to tampons for those who prefer their use. Sea sponges. From what I read boiling for ten to fifteen minutes is absolutely necessary to make these safe for use/reuse.

Pandora Pads: Menstrual Sponge

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
being a man and having to deal with women race has placed me in positions to be standing there at checkout and buying tampons and pads. It feels no different than to be standing at the local hometown drugstore trying to buy a pack of condoms or as women have in todays times bought condoms for themselves.

Anyway I have used them on surgical wounds dressings and any eruptions with massive fluids, They work great for soaking up any massive liquids,

BRAVO to this topic

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Honestly never thought of this.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I've just skimmed the thread, plan on going back and checking out the vids and links.

And that hunting tip was a good one. Seems like it would work.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This a great site for this topic,
search.backpackinglight.com...
Lots of articles, forum topics and a few specialized gear items to consider.
I've seen blue packets near pristine lakes so it is an real concern.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Dear SeenMyShare

I find it totally mind boggling that someone would be even giving this subject a thought in the event that the world is thrown into an apocalyptic situation.

I guaranty to you that the very last think on your mind in this situation is going to be yours or anyone else’s menstrual cycle.

However it does prove to me just how few people in the west will survive.

edit on 10-10-2010 by MAC269 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

S&F well done!

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

yes they are good, especially if your athletic. Tampons when swimming are hopeless. The sponges are definitely the way to go!

oh and afterthought... cotton straight from the tree works. I have always laughed when they say, 'bleached cotton'. It is white anyway.
edit on 10-10-2010 by Thurisaz because: afterthought

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

I find it mind-boggling that once you have thought of the topic you still don't find it important. When you bleed, you attract wild animals, and when you attract wild animals, you are screwed. One needs to be as hygienic and clean as possible to minimize the possibility of having a 'scent.' Not to mention, as a woman, I know I am going to want to keep myself as sanitary as possible so as not to get diseases and bring down my companions. It's as important as having wrappings for open wounds. I am surprised that you wouldn't find this an important topic.Then again, as a man, you probably don't think about periods much, but you should if you have women who you will need to watch out for if the SHTF.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

Dear spacekc929

Yes you guest it I am a man, and as such I spend as very little time as possible thinking about this subject.

You need to look at the tribes of South America or those in the depths of Africa and see how much time and energy they think this subject is worth.

Since you are on about smell it is the smell of your modern life that will attack the predators.

How do you think a woman of the pioneer west did??

They folded a rag and placed in the appropriate position and got of with the important things of survival.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
My wife and I were talking about this subject just yesterday (Monkey Island syndrome, I guess). It's definitely an important subject, and I'm glad you posted this thread. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I have always been a firm believer that nature provides the best " sanitary pads".

For instance, instead of wasting all that paper, why not use a squirrel hide ??

For added fun use a live squirrel !!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join