It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New facebook function reporting your location..One step closer Global ID card?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
As many of you are aware facebook is now reporting where ever you are with status updates containning your location either at home or at work with a link to a map showing exactly where you are. Is it just me but is this just crossing the line?

Are we being slowly manipulated into full disclosure of where we are at all time? This is almost like an implant but more sublte. When I saw this I turned it off and now may delete my account altogether. This is going too far, this is basically giving us our own make shift governement global ID card. Its ridiculous how much info people disclose on facebook. I remember when the internet was gaining popularity and became more mainstream it was never wise to give out personal details, now its a trend and presumed safe if its on facebook. Which I dont think it is. Any opinions?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
My opinion is delete your Facebook account. You won't regret it.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Well, I find this as disturbing as you do. Could you tell everyone how to turn off this function, and is there any way to tell if it's really off? I'd delete my entire page but would rather not have to. I use it from time to time. Many thanks for this.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
it doesn't matter, there are already gps tracking chips in every single cell phone

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
and google "facebook cia human data mining"

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Wait...what? I thought that was an application you could add to make people see where you are 'checking in' at.....

as if I actually care where these people are at any given moment.

Are you sure that it actually says that when you update a status? Because when I update mine it doesn't say where I am...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

I guess you're talking about Facebook places? If you are you may not realize that you have to give Facebook permission to use this feature. If you don't want it just don't activate it.
edit on 6-10-2010 by drock905 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I listened to a program about this. It is a new thing and one that the user subscribes to

If you don't subscribe to it, then it does not keep track of your location.

Either way, (your IP address )everytime you log in informs the server or recipient where you are.

It isn't anything new... just people are becoming aware of what the technology can do.
Facebook is about choice. Subscribe if you want to...and don't if you don't want to.

simple

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
This is why I refuse to use Facebook. I have managed for all my life without it, so I dont need it now. It is intrusive and my private life is private.

I wonder though, how long until it is illegal to not have a facebook profile?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Sorry i must have explained wrong, the function to show where you are ''checking in'' too is automatically switched on you need to turn it off and it checks you in to places. Despite asking for permission or not people dont see this as a major issue..I think people just dont see the bigger picture. It shows where you are all the time, it shows where you check in too and also where your friends/family are. Especially with people listing all relatives on the facebook account now this just makes it easier to track each and every person. Am I the only one who see's this so called CHOICE as just a form of conditioning? The next generation will see this as such a norm they wont even question it.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

My cell phone carrier has had this feature for a couple of years now on it's "smart phones". An app that will let you know exactly where everyone who you have contact info for is at all times - assuming they have a smart phone and have the same app. The irony? This feature is part of a small upgrade package that costs several bucks per month.

I'd say that about twenty to twenty five of the people on my contact list have the app or have had it in the past. Including me.

There are drawbacks to this technology, presently, which don't lend well to the "global ID" theory. Mostly that these things cannot track you, only your log in information or your devices. Without some form of biometric verification these apps are still pretty harmless gimmicks. Anyone on the run could just throw their device into the bed of a passing truck, for example, and Facebook would show them crossing the country, from freeway to freeway, stopping at all the hottest truck stops along the way - as the actual user was sitting at home, on ghost Facebook account, watching himself make the journey.

But in regards to desensitizing us to being tracked... This I would postulate as a negative outcome of these toys.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Everytime somebody asks me if I have a facebook page and the way they react when I say "no" I get chills. It's like I have a third arm or something. They seem shocked. Then they get pushy. Then they get scared.

Go along to get along with the total control grid. Making it appear "voluntary" was a stroke of absolute genius. Peer pressure shapes peoples behaviors and attitudes far more than law or regulation.

When my grandmother asked if I had a facebook page I knew it was all over.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Very likely covered elsewhere on ATS but this link provides a little more information.

Oh, and no, it is not one step closer to Global ID cards and I sincerely refute all comments that support that statement too. UK government, by example, recently scrapped all plans [from the previous Cabinet] to implement ID cards, and so wouldn't you be inclined to think that IF this apparent NWOism is progressing, then surely plans to scrap them are a bit of set-back? You decide, it's common bloody sense!

Specifically with Facebook, again, not to pick on the NWO believers among us, but you do have an option whether or not you want to disclose information or not. It equally applies to the privacy settings adopted by Facebook. You have a choice on these matters and anyone claiming anything to the contrary may do better to educate themselves and read the T&C's of Facebook. The recent bad press Zuckerberg received regarding the privacy of Facebook's users was rightly justified because they had been careless with how they handled our information, but as I keep informing people - you ou have a choice and you are also presented with information telling you exactly what Facebook does with your information in the first place.

Facebook Places is an application, something you can chose to adopt, but again...it brings me back to that old chestnut, choice.

edit on 6-10-2010 by BAZ752 because: grammar and spelling

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Not all of us are stupid enough to use farcebook...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

So according to your logic, those who use Facebook are therefore stupid? You know, coming from someone on a Conspiracy Theory website that's pretty bold...no, it's rich in fact.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I like my facebook account. I can post a line or two and the family and friends can view it. That way I don't have to try to use my voice on phone call after phone call. (I have Sjogrens ... can't speak much of the time). I hope it doesn't get all NWO ... I really like it.

Facebookers .... 'friend' me and be my neighbor in Chocolatier .. I've got a great chocolate shoppe going!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I don't really have problem with it...not a secret at all. I am in a library right now cause Internet at $45 per month was slower than dial up....facebook is a useful application and am looking forward to use one in the future with many other applications. Other than that...there is nothing that maniacs wouldn't know...when they pick on victims, they learn absolutely everything...just think...victims are chosen with certain purpose, so behavior studies of one are a must....their problem in my case is...they keep on learning that there is nothing they know...ouch
)))

[off-topic content removed]
edit on 10/6/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: removed irrelevant off-topic content

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Obviously they cant just implement global/national id cards due to peole generally not wanting it and it will cause a back lash thats why they have scrapped the ideas. So whats better? We slowly con them into it. They first start by making it something unsuspecting, then add small features but only keeping it subtle and advising ''oh you have a choice''...Its a subtle way to de sensitize us to it. Like a user said, its a social stigma not to have a facebook. Now facebook has your full name, work/school, pictures of you, friends, family and so many people have it public too. Yet if some random approached you on the street i wonder how willingly youd disclose that info? Im shocked that ATS'rs here dont see this is as being odd and suspicious when clearly its the begining of something bigger. I dont think it could hit our generation but over time it will, with the new generation having no idea what life was like with out a cell phone or internet and cant imagine life without it.

new topics

top topics

join