It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer program claims it can predict the future - Sponsored by the CIA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
A new computer program created by Google and the CIA claims that it can predict the future by following Internet trends and crunching the data to come up with its predictions.

Future forecast engine peers into crystal ball of Internet

If you are into stories about how new technology is dragging us towards an Orwellian future, you have one more thing to worry about. A new search engine can predict the future by hearing the buzz on the Internet.

Propeller The software has been in development for 18 months with the financial backing of both Google and the CIA. The Boston-based firm behind it is now offering its services online to government policymakers, business analysts and others, reports MIT Technology Review.

The tool offered by Recorded Future tracks information published online to establish links between people, companies, places and events and put it on a timescale. It munches everything from news articles to Twitter updates and uses linguistic analysis to render its image of the future.

RT

This looks like some interesting new tech but, the CIA's involvement just can't be good. Who wants to bet that crammed into all that predicting and data sifting technology isn't something meant to keep an even tighter watch on those the US government views as internal threats?
edit on 10/4/10 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Isn't that the same thing as....Web-bot?? Nothing new here, move along!

Web Bot, or the Web Bot Project, refers to an Internet bot software program that is claimed to be able to predict future events by tracking keywords entered on the Internet.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-10-2010 by Wookiep because: changed to external quote

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by FortAnthem

Isn't that the same thing as....Web-bot?? Nothing new here, move along!

Web Bot, or the Web Bot Project, refers to an Internet bot software program that is claimed to be able to predict future events by tracking keywords entered on the Internet.

en.wikipedia.org...

/Agree

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

It could be a more up to date version of that.

I'm just worried about the CIAs involvment in this whole thing.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
If they think they can predict what people will do/think...then let's give them something to ponder! Every time you Google something legit, Google at least 3 random phrases before or after. Shouldn't be too hard to throw them off track.

Example:

I'm looking for information on replacing my water pump in my car.

Search #1: "purple starfish in tokyo airport"
Search #2: "replace water pump 2000 dodge"
Search #3: "my foot tells me things"
Search #4: "drinking soda with a panda bear"

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The CIA has done this sort of modelling for a long time there was a show on the History channel about the new Nostradamus featuring the guy that devised their current projection system.This is probably a computerisation of his work.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This software does way more than the web bot does...

It can track trends and public opinion dynamics, and that is probably why the CIA is involved with it...

A sort of logistic tool for psyops and such..

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This kind of thing can be negated. Consider:

failblog.org...

There is an entire trolling movement around screwing up web searches by coordinating search entry attacks.

new topics

top topics

join