It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extraterrestrial Life in Earth's Atmosphere?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
A widely circulated article on the internet, apparently originating at the Telegraph newspaper (UK) website, and written by Mr. Richard Gray, reports that Dr. Clara Juanes-Vallejo and her team from Cranfield University will this week launch a balloon-carried probe to the upper atmosphere in hopes of collecting bacteria and other microbes carried to Earth from other planets by asteroids and comets. I attempted to provide a link to the article, but it appears to have been deleted. It was among the October 2 webpage articles. The article lacks many details, but it can be reasonable assumed that the mission will take a matter of days, to a few weeks to return its specimens for study. In looking for further information about this project, I learned the odd fact that neither the Cranfield University website, nor that of the European Space Agency, with which the Cranfield team is working, has any mention of this project. It seems natural to wonder why this is so, and also why so little has been heard of this project before the last couple of days. I sent an inquiry to Cranfield about this, but have received no reply. If life, even microbes, not of this world are found, it will be a valuable psychological preparation for learning about intelligent extraterrestrial life. Ross
edit on 4-10-2010 by Ross 54 because: corrected url

edit on 4-10-2010 by Ross 54 because: url omitted, as it is apparently no longer working,

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The "press" has been having a field day lately. They really don't seem to care what they print.

Clara Juanes-Vallejo is not a Dr....yet. You seem to be the only one who thinks she is. She is a graduate student. The project is one of three student projects which will be sent aloft.

There are 3 students experiments in the BEXUS-10 gondola, all sponsered by ESA/SNSB:

1. Cass-E - Cranfield Astrobiological Stratospheric Sampling Experiment - demonstrating Planetary Protection and Contamination Control (PP&CC) protocols. (Cranfield University, UK)

www.ssc.se...

The purpose of the experiment is not to "search for extraterrestrial life".

CASS•E specific experimental objectives:
- To design, assemble, integrate, ground handle, launch, fly, recover and assess an experiment that is capable of demonstrating appropriate PP&CC protocols relevant to the collection of microorganisms in the Earth’s Stratosphere.
- To implement appropriate PP&CC protocols for a stratospheric balloon experiment compatible with the collection of microorganisms in or from the Earth’s Stratosphere.
- To evaluate the performance of the PP&CC protocols used in the stratospheric balloon experiment.

Assumptions:
-There is microbial life in the Earth’s Stratosphere.
-Concentrations of microbial life in Earth’s Stratosphere are extremely low.
- Any realistic experiment to sample microbial life from the Earth’s Stratosphere will capture numbers of stratospheric microorganisms that are minute compared to likely levels of microbial contamination from the Troposphere (i.e. contamination during assembly, integration, testing and other ground handling of a sampling experiment/hardware).

Expected Results/Deliverables:
- Delivery of a complete experiment to ESA.
- Production of a PP&CC protocol for a stratospheric balloon mission.
- Establishment of a strategy for the assessment of contamination.

www.cass-e.com...

The primary purpose of the experiment is to study the effectiveness of measures taken to avoid contamination of other planets and samples acquired on them by probes from Earth.

The approach to implement PP&CC strategies will be to use protocols already established within the planetary exploration community. This will include sterilisation by dry heat microbial reduction (DHMR) and maintenance of cleanliness post sterilisation using bio-barriers.

A secondary purpose of the experiment is to find out how many, if any, microorganisms exist in the stratosphere. They don't really care if they are extra-terrestrial, they will not be trying to determine if they are. They will be counting any micro-organisms they find, not determining their origin.

Counting of microorganisms on filter using fluorescent microscope.

And yes, part of the experiment has to do with looking for extraterrestrial life...on other planets.

Where did you get the idea from?
- Involvement of subset of team members in development of Life Marker Chip experiment for the ESA ExoMars mission and which requires and emphasises the importance and need for PP&CC.

Original sources people. Go to the original sources. Haven't you learned that the press doesn't care about the facts, that they just want a good story?

Here is the project website:
www.cass-e.com...

edit on 10/4/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Explore the final frontier from Earth
Space scientists do not have to be on another planet

For the moment, however, Juanes Vallejo is working on a PhD in systems design for planetary protection and contamination control. One of the projects she is involved with is the “life marker chip” that will look for signs of life on Mars from ESA's ExoMars mission in 2016. Research into the chip will also have benefits much closer to home, she says. “Whatever you are engineering for space has spin-offs for Earth. For example, this system to detect life is closely interlinked with medical diagnosis.” On Mars the chip will identify molecules associated with life but it could also be used to detect molecules associated with cancer.

business.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

sounds like she is developing the first true life tri-corder. cool.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Worms in Space! The ELERAD Experiment

In this "proof of principle" experiment, "a genome returned from space has been shown to have damage that we could define very precisely," said principle investigator David Baillie, Canadian Research Chair in genomics at SFU. One worm came back from space "with an extra piece of DNA inserted into the genetic material, carrying extra copies of eight different genes."

www.asc-csa.gc.ca...

Space Worms Land in B.C., After Hopping Shuttle

C. elegans similar to these are at B.C.'s Simon Fraser University so researchers can study the
effects of space radiation after dozens of generations reproduced at the International Space Station.

www.cbc.ca...

Is it wise to breed stuff out there and bring them back with 'extra DNA'?

And what about those bacteria growing on the ISS?

Imagine the consequences of introducing genetic mutations of bacteria from space...

Microscopic Stowaways on the ISS
science.nasa.gov...

NASA Finds Unknown Extremophile Stowaways
www.dailygalaxy.com...

NASA Studies Microbes on Space Shuttle Flight
www.nasa.gov...

Preventing "Sick" Spaceships

This dust mite was found floating in a globule of water onboard Mir. Other microorganisms collected include protozoa and amoeba.
science.nasa.gov...

Fungi on the ISS, growing on a panel where exercise clothes were hung to dry. "This is a good example of how biological contamination isn't an old problem or just specific to Mir," points out Mark Ott.

science.nasa.gov...
science.nasa.gov...

Ciliated protozoa recovered from free condensate during NASA 7

Amoeba recovered from free condensate during NASA6

I can see the future headline..

ALIEN BACTERIA INVADE EARTH

Well they are ET if they were bred in space aren't they?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by abe froman

sounds like she is developing the first true life tri-corder. cool.

April 6, 2007

That's one reason that Marshall is developing the Lab-On-a-Chip Application Development–Portable Test System, or LOCAD-PTS for short. LOCAD-PTS is a handheld device that can diagnose the presence of bacteria or fungi on the surfaces of a spacecraft within minutes, far more rapidly than standard methods of culturing, which may take several days and may require return to Earth for further analysis. "LOCAD-PTS is an excellent example of the kind of hardware astronauts will need to be autonomous in a lunar habitat or a long-duration mission to Mars," Steele explained. "Crews must be able to make assessments on their own. They may not be able to get samples back to Earth." Although no electrical or mechanical failure on Mir was specifically traced to biodegradation, "it's not a chance you would want to take en route to Mars."

LOCAD-PTS, a handheld biological laboratory.

Lab-on-a-Chip Works!
science.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Imagine the consequences of introducing genetic mutations of bacteria from space...

Bacteria? Who cares about bacteria?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The "press" has been having a field day lately.

Maybe because there is a lot happening?
But hey at least it keeps you 'employed' keeping track of everyone...

And you have to admit... this really is a catchy headline

Space Worms Land in B.C., After Hopping Shuttle

Personally I think sensational headlines are perfectly legit, kinda like using celebrities UFO stories to get viewers here

edit on 4-10-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I could be mistaken...didn't Hoyle and Wickramasinghe conceive of a similar experiment in the 80s and 90s? I'm sure there's a paper about it, but less sure about the outcomes. Cardiff Uni were seeking funding for the experiment.

ETA: An Atmospheric Test of Cometary Panspermia
edit on 4-10-2010 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Bacteria? Who cares about bacteria?

Well it would seem that Clara Juanes-Vallejo does... the FOCUS of the OP's thread...

Originally posted by Ross 54
A widely circulated article on the internet, apparently originating at the Telegraph newspaper (UK) website, and written by Mr. Richard Gray, reports that Dr. Clara Juanes-Vallejo and her team from Cranfield University will this week launch a balloon-carried probe to the upper atmosphere in hopes of collecting bacteria and other microbes carried to Earth from other planets by asteroids and comets.

You link doesn't work.. hopefully you will attempt to stay on topic this time..I mean those multiple pages you created in that other thread... I never would have thought you capable of such diversion

edit on 4-10-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Link to the article mentioned in the OP.

British scientists, working with the European Space Agency, will this week launch a balloon carrying instruments to search the stratosphere for bacteria and other microorganisms.

They believe there could be species capable of surviving in the high levels of radiation, extreme cold and near vacuum found on the edge of space.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I care about bacteria! espescially if some super resistant mega germ bred in space develops enough super characteristics to wipe us out like martians in war of the worlds.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Oh that's right. I forgot that details don't matter. Like what you got wrong in that other thread. I'm amazed that you could make such a "mistake".

Like the detail that Clara Juanes-Vallejo is not a Dr.
Like the detail the the experiment is a student project.
Like the detail that the purpose of the experiment is not to look for extraterrestrial life.

Pesky details. Pesky facts. Who needs 'em when we have the press to tell us what's really going on.

Changed that link back there.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I try not to think the worst of people, if I can help it. Am willing to assume, for now, that Mr. Gray did his work satisfactorily. Still, legitimate doubts have been raised. This matter will have to be looked into further. Have heard back from Cranfield University, via Professor Cullen, apparently Ms. Juanes-Vallejo's adviser. I mentioned the Telegraph article in my inquiry. He made no comment on or objection to it. Wrote back asking him specifically about the extraterrestrial bacteria aspect of the story. In the meantime I have a *direct quote* from Ms. Juanes-Vallejo, from Mr. Gray's article in the Guardian newspaper (UK) website, on October 2nd: 'If we find microorganisms up there, there are a number of ways it could have arrived. It could have arrived from space itself, or it could be from our own volcanoes that have projected material up there'. So, they may indeed bring ET microbes down to Earth with this project. The crux of the matter, it appears, is just this: Will they know if they have them? Will they try to find out? Is there any way they could know if they have them? Let us see what Professor Cullen may have to say before we call into question Mr. Gray's competence and/ or honesty. Ross
edit on 4-10-2010 by Ross 54 because: removed erroneous remark about non-functioning url of Guardian article.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Like the detail that Clara Juanes-Vallejo is not a Dr.

Okay so your point is that the news reports may be a tad off, they should have said "soon to be Dr"

Clara Juanes Vallejo, an engineer who has just started a PhD

Like the detail the the experiment is a student project.

An engineer studying for a PhD, backed by scientists from the ESA...
Does that make it an invalid project?
Does that change the purpose of that project?

Like the detail that the purpose of the experiment is not to look for extraterrestrial life.

Ummm the purpose is to look for bacteria that might not be from Earth... don't know how you can say bacteria that might be from space are not extraterrestrial life
They didn't say they were looking for alien pilots of UFO's.

British scientists, working with the European Space Agency, will this week launch a balloon carrying instruments to search the stratosphere for bugs and other microorganisms. They believe there could be species capable of surviving in the high levels of radiation, extreme cold and near vacuum found on the edge of space.

The organisms could be entirely new to science and may even have been brought here from outer space by hitching a ride on asteroids or comets, reports the Telegraph. If they succeed, it would be the first time alien life had been captured and would fortify theories that all life on Earth was brought here from elsewhere in the galaxy.

They also hope they may find new types of bacteria that have been thrown up into the atmosphere by erupting volcanoes.

Clara Juanes-Vallejo, who is leading the research team at the Cranfield University in Britain, said: ‘There are theories that life on Earth came from space, so we need to know that life can survive the conditions of space for this to be true.

topinews.com...

Seems to me your nit picking only serves to distract from the real issues... but have it your way

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ross 54
Wrote back asking him specifically about the extraterrestrial bacteria aspect of the story. In the meantime I have a *direct quote* from Ms. Juanes-Vallejo, from Mr. Gray's article in the Guardian newspaper (UK) website, on October 2nd: 'If we find microorganisms up there, there are a number of ways it could have arrived. It could have arrived from space itself, or it could be from our own volcanoes that have projected material up there'. So, they may indeed bring ET microbes down to Earth with this project.

Direct quotes and writing to the source always works
Thanks for this thread

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Mr. Gray, in his Guardian article did not refer to Ms. Juanes-Vallejo as a 'Dr.' (Phd.). I read an *old* article stating that she had entered a doctorate program. Made the assumption that she had her degree by now, given the fact that she is obviously still academically active, and was connected with an important seeming project. It is irrelevant to the science what title she may hold. Some Phd. candidates have done amazing and very valuable work. Additionally, many very important things have been discovered in science, even when they weren't being specifically looked for. Ross
edit on 4-10-2010 by Ross 54 because: added additional material bearing on the discussion.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Okay so your point is that the news reports may be a tad off, they should have said "soon to be Dr"

No, that is not my point. The news reports do not put a Dr. in front of her name. The OP did. My point is by creating "facts", the true story gets distorted. Putting a "Dr." in front of someone's name puts a certain slant to a story.

Ummm the purpose is to look for bacteria that might not be from Earth... don't know how you can say bacteria that might be from space are not extraterrestrial life They didn't say they were looking for alien pilots of UFO's.

I provided links which describe the experiment in detail. Did you see them? Please show me where it says the purpose is to look for extraterrestrial bacteria. And you quote an article which refers the Telegraph article. Wonderful. But what does the direct quote contained say?

‘There are theories that life on Earth came from space, so we need to know that life can survive the conditions of space for this to be true.'

How can a balloon collecting bacteria in the stratosphere determine if life can survive the conditions of space?

My "nit-picking" is first hand information. You know, from the source? The students who designed the experiment. But I know you don't like first hand information unless you can pretend it says something it doesn't.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

How did you miss this..

"The environment in the stratosphere is very extreme. It can get down to -90 degrees C and is a near vacuum. There is also a lot of harmful radiation as there is not the same level of protection as we get from the atmosphere.

"If we know that life can survive in such an extreme environment, then it could also survive in places like Mars or on asteroids.

I would think that this is an answer to your question.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

No. It is not an answer. The stratosphere is far from having conditions similar to space. Mars, somewhat. Asteroids, no.

The BEXUS balloon will ascend to a maximum altitude of 35km. At 35km the atmospheric pressure is about 10mbar. That is equivalent to the highest pressures found on the surface of Mars but it is far from being comparable to the vacuum of space.

I have to wonder if that really is a direct quote because comparing the environment on Mars to that of asteroids makes little sense. Because a microorganism might survive in the stratosphere does not mean it could survive in space. Mars perhaps, but Mars is not space.

They are not looking for extraterrestrial microorganisms. The experiment is not designed to look for extraterrestrial organisms.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join