It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Environmentalist; Halting Tecnological Advancement Is An Unjust Agenda To Create Poverty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Talk about controversial...Just out of talks with Washington D.C. Stewart Brand has a mouthful.
He said that "stopping economic growth is an Agenda! Imagine that!

He goes on to say that it is an agenda that is unjust, and creates poverty...

I was at a meeting in Washington DC yesterday with state department and Congress people and whatnot as well as environmentalists.

Greenhouse gases are multiplying and the climate is responding, pretty much as predicted it would. So now the question is: Can we move technology ahead to offset what the previous technology acceleration has unleashed? And I think we can.”.....

...When asked if curbing technological advancement will prohibit the development of the United States, Brand, who was editor of “Whole Earth Catalog,” rejected the prescription of some environmentalists who believe stopping economic growth is necessary to protect the environment.

“No, not even remotely," said Brand. "Stopping economic development is, I know, an agenda of some of my fellow environmentalists and I think, one, it’s actually unjust because a lot of people are getting out of poverty for the first time and to say, 'No stay in poverty, because poverty is so green,' is not something we can say.”

He goes on to say that perhaps plan B is in order, which is Geoengineering!

And one strong research initiative under way now includes the Environmental Defence Fund as one of the participants. Well, that's amazing – [the idea] that environmentalists are either non-committal about geoengineering or trying to participate in the early discussions about it. The knee jerk "Don't mess around with mother nature" response is not there.
Why is that?

Time has passed. Environmentalists have been thinking about global warming for longer than most and so we've got used to the idea that mitigation, cutting back on greenhouse gases, is taking way longer than expected and, in fact, may not occur at all for decades. And therefore there needs to be a plan B. If you go to some kind of climate engineering you don't want to do it half-baked, you want to know what you're doing –

www.cnsnews.com...

Video Here
www.eyeblast.tv...

www.guardian.co.uk...

edit on 4-10-2010 by burntheships because: format

edit on 4-10-2010 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Well first off technological and economic growth might be related, but they are hardly one and the same. I think pretty much every environmentalist is ALL about technological growth, just growth in the right direction: i.e. advancing renewable technologies like solar power, or maximizing the energy efficiencies of cars, homes, industry, etc.

I can't stand it when political pundits and corporate hacks try to skew and trivialize all this as some attempt to "destroy your way of life". It has nothing to do with stifling the economy and taking everyone's toys away. It has to do with making that economy smarter and more efficient and completely sustainable in the long run.

I mean it's ridiculous - today's economy operates under a complete paradox. It requires infinite growth under limited resources just to exist without collapsing, and a select few sheisters are getting very rich off of it while everyone else drowns away in debt.

The same people trying to convince you the environmentalists just want to destroy this fantastic way of life are the same people convincing you they need your bailout money to "save the economy".

join