It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RQ-170 stealth UAV - clear photo from Michael Yon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Michael Yon

Thats some goodness right there. I really hope we get a full roll out / 'show & tell' as its one smart looking bird.

edit on 3-10-2010 by Astr0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
link is broken

second line

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Fixed it for you!

Now you can go and have a look. My apologise for getting it wrong.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Link works for me!
second line

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Interesting. The configuration seems to match the other stealth UCAV/UAV that have been rolled out e.g. Taranis, Neuron etc with the exception of the two cone/pyramid type projections on either side of the central intake. I wonder what those are for....

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The link worked for me.

Presume the picture is taken from inside a plane. It's a great snap though and does look it's an RQ-170.

I wonder how long it will be before we see these flying our skies?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I'm no expert. I guess that where the domes are above the wing and appear to be facing forward, that they are some kind of stereoscopic range finding equipment. Used for pinpointing a target?

Anyway, just my guess. Hopefully, one of our experts will chip in.

edit on 10/3/2010 by mithrawept because: Dodgy spelling

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
with the exception of the two cone/pyramid type projections on either side of the central intake. I wonder what those are for....

Data links - airborne / satellite communications keeping the signals shielded is my best bet to utilise to full effect (i.e. high bandwidth demands and multiple feeds) the optical sensors on the underside in the faired in pod just behind the nose wheel.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
Interesting. The configuration seems to match the other stealth UCAV/UAV that have been rolled out e.g. Taranis, Neuron etc with the exception of the two cone/pyramid type projections on either side of the central intake. I wonder what those are for....

They are the intakes for the engines - there is no central intake, if you look closely its painted a darker shade of gray, and from that I would assume that that is the satelite uplink dome and other communications systems.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

They are the intakes for the engines - there is no central intake, if you look closely its painted a darker shade of gray, and from that I would assume that that is the satelite uplink dome and other communications systems.

Sorry Richard but the other photos clearly show a central intake feeding a single engine. There is an aviation week article on the web where a USAF source talks of a 'dark star like' UAV with dual over wing comms pods being seen very near U-2 flights in 2003 over Iraq.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Where is the link to the photo? I can not see a link on this page. Am I mentally challenged?

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
UAV picture link

Originally posted by Monteriano
Where is the link to the photo? I can not see a link on this page. Am I mentally challenged?

Click on the above to get to the picture. Still amazed theres not been much discussion of this on the boards.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm amazed too. I'm also slightly taken aback that they were just hooning about with the UAV in the middle of the day.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

I'm not seeing any link in the OP, what gives? Other comments made above make it seem like there was a link there at one point, but it's no longer there.

What's the deal?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Click on the bit that says "Michael Yon." Links are coloured snot green now guys.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astr0
Michael Yon

Thats the link.

As for middle of the day - Michael Yon was on the flight line so am not suprised they thought they were all clear.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I agree that the RQ-170 Sentinel is a single intake jet. You can see this in some photos of it as there are no humps on each of the wings but a single intake.
RQ-170 no pods on wings

From what I have read it is believed that the pods on the wings are for communications and/or for sensors.
Below is a model of the RQ-170 and you can see the pods on the wings and the single intake.
RQ-170 with pods

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Very cool, great to see a clear picture finally.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by I B Dazzlin

Your first link is of a BAE Raven I think, although I've seen it under different names

either way, it's not the RQ-170

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by maintainright

You are correct that is the BAE Raven. I mistakingly posted that, I apologize.
BAE Raven
Basicaly its a British version of the RQ-170.

It still does not deter from my point that the objects on each side of the central intake are likely sensors and the fact that it has a single intake for the jet engine.
i.imgur.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join