It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds (Updated Opening Post: 2016)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Since graphics aren't my forte at all, I'm wondering if anyone who has skill in this area might know of a good freeware/shareware resizing tool.

I think that this might be helpful to those, like me, who shudder at the notion of trying to work with a full suite graphics program for the first time.

~Heff

You are looking for GIMP.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
this thread keeps moving to the top of MyATS list without anyone responding.
edit on 5-10-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

same here...

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The staff bumps the thread from time to time in an attempt to let as many members see the thread as possible before the 11th.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Since graphics aren't my forte at all, I'm wondering if anyone who has skill in this area might know of a good freeware/shareware resizing tool.

Irfanview

It's free and simple, user friendly and does the basics without overwhelming the user with unneeded stuff.
No instructions needed. You can also use Microsoft Paint and there's even an editor in photobucket. These are the tools I use for photos. But Irfanview is my favorite.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

*bump*
oh I c

copied the OP to my avi thread aswell, with an example of how unchanged avatars will look like after the 11th

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Avatar challenged, yep, that's me. Sooooooo, looks like I have six days until the system truncates my avatar. I really appreciate the head's up. Of course, I'll probably wait until the night before. I work best under pressure.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you both for your help!

~Heff

reply to post by mblahnikluver

And a belated "thank you" for you as well Mblah!!!

edit on 10/6/10 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I use Flickr and Fotoflexer and I also use Lunapic. They are all free but have options for membership for extra features on the first two. I have the full version of Flickr and I use it constantly for picture editing since i have no idea how to use either one of my editing programs, gimp and CS4.

I like the free ones

Fotoflex has layering as does lunapic and you can resize pics on all three. I have made my avys using all three. I have a better understanding of these free editing programs and I use all three together. It takes a while sometimes but CS4 makes me insane!

Hope this is what you were looking for.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Irfanview

It's free and simple, user friendly and does the basics without overwhelming the user with unneeded stuff.
No instructions needed. You can also use Microsoft Paint and there's even an editor in photobucket. These are the tools I use for photos. But Irfanview is my favorite.

Irfanview has photo editing? I have that and NEVER knew that! How do you open it? It only opens when preview a picture.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Irfanview

Your dog is beautiful. that new avi you have is gorgeous. i keep stopping to look at it for awhile when i come across a post of yours.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Thanks. I'm still working on it. I don't know why there's a white line at the top and left side... It's a work in process.

Yours looks great!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Thanks. I'm still working on it. I don't know why there's a white line at the top and left side... It's a work in process.

Yours looks great!

make the source image 190 pixels wide and it should help with that line. i had a similar issue with 180 pixels, and went with 190.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

That worked! THANK you! I made it 190x490. Don't know if it will get clipped in the changeover or not. But for now, the white line is gone.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
From S.O.

Pixel Space: The new "visible" space for background images is 180 pixels wide and 400-480 pixels tall (depending on other factors in your mini-profile).

Maximum Pixel Dimensions: Maximum allowable mini-profile backgrounds will be 200 pixels wide by 700 pixels tall. Smaller images are repeated in the background space.

Will someone please clarify one point for me please:

When it says Smaller images are repeated in the background space where does this actually happen, if it applies? I haven't seen any of the backgrounds continue down the side of the post (as before) and they all seem to be cutting off at the 400-480 mark. Where would one run into a "repeated image" situation?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
From S.O.

Pixel Space: The new "visible" space for background images is 180 pixels wide and 400-480 pixels tall (depending on other factors in your mini-profile).

Maximum Pixel Dimensions: Maximum allowable mini-profile backgrounds will be 200 pixels wide by 700 pixels tall. Smaller images are repeated in the background space.

Will someone please clarify one point for me please:

When it says Smaller images are repeated in the background space where does this actually happen, if it applies? I haven't seen any of the backgrounds continue down the side of the post (as before) and they all seem to be cutting off at the 400-480 mark. Where would one run into a "repeated image" situation?

an image that is, say, 100X100 would tile on the background. You would have it iterate 4.8 times down, and 1.8 times across.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Doh. So obvious. Lol. Thank you, got it now...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tspark
Are friends the way of the past now, i can't seem to see any of my friends designations?

This thread is about Avatars & Backgrounds. Your question is answered on the ATS 2010 Updates Thread
edit on October 7th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I took my flaming background off after reading the new rules, it was a moving background, the flames were roaring, I needed to do that right? I will miss those beautiful sparkling waters and star backgrounds though...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I will miss those too, Antar. I guess I will just let the truncating process have it's way with mine, since I find the avatar process frustrating to negotiate with. (Avatar impaired).

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join