It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nazca Lines - Peru

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

the Nazca Lines, which are about 240 miles (385km) south-east of the Peruvian capital Lima

The Nazca Lines - mysterious lines which were etched into the desert by indigenous people centuries ago - are only fully visible from the air.

I find reports of UFOs interesting anyway (especially when professionals such as pilots, RADAR operators and military officials with RADAR to corroborate their stories report them), but I find it interesting on a whole different level when strange drawings of apparently alien beings are drawn on a massive scale in the mountains by people hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago, when they have little obvious reason to do so, given their apparent lower intelligence compared to today.

Apart from seeing birds flying and giving them the idea about flight, where would they get the idea of aliens from, and even more intriguingly, why would they carve a massive outline like this, of something that clearly isn't human-looking, in a location that means that over-flight is the only way to see it??

I really do think this kind of record is evidence that we have been visited in the past. I can't think of a good reason for people from that time to be drawing like this.

edit on 2-10-2010 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

but I find it interesting on a whole different level when strange drawings of apparently alien beings are drawn on a massive scale in the mountains by people hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago, when they have little obvious reason to do so, given their apparent lower intelligence compared to today.

Why do you think humans were of "lower intelligence" hundreds or thousands of years ago? Was Leonardo stupid? Was Socrates stupid?

edit on 10/2/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Geometry is an amazing tool -
Easy to be deceived by too

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Is it even known when the Nazca lines were made? It's interesting that you state that the people who made them were not very intelligent.
So when did people "become" more intelligent? These lines may only be several hundred years old...but Aristotle and Plato then wouldn't be considered intelligent among countless others....

LOL Phage you edited while I was typing, damn you.

edit on 10/2/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

but I find it interesting on a whole different level when strange drawings of apparently alien beings are drawn on a massive scale in the mountains by people hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago, when they have little obvious reason to do so, given their apparent lower intelligence compared to today.

Why do you think humans were of "lower intelligence" hundreds or thousands of years ago? Was Leonardo stupid? Was Socrates stupid?

First, I said "apparent", because generally evolution has us increasing our intellectual abilities with each generation. That doesn't mean they were of low intellect (or rather, of an intellect such that they couldn't consider beings from outer space), but we have no definite way to prove it either way.

According to Wikipedia (no better source for the moment) the Nazca people were around from the 1st to the 8th Century AD, so that makes these drawings in the mountains potentially 1900 years old.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Nasca culture (alternatively spelled Nazca when referring to the geographical region (Silverman,1994)) refers to the archaeological culture that flourished from the first to eighth centuries AD beside the dry southern coast of Peru in the river valleys of the Rio Grande de Nazca drainage and the Ica Valley (Silverman and Proulx, 2002). Having been heavily influenced by the preceding Paracas culture, which was known for extremely complex textiles, the Nasca produced an array of beautiful crafts and technologies such as ceramics, textiles, and geoglyphs (most commonly known as the Nazca lines). They also built an impressive system of underground aqueducts, known as puquios, that still function today.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

No. There is no indication that human intelligence has increased in the past 15 thousand years (at least). I don't think I'm any more intelligent than my mother was and I know I'm not more intelligent than my grandfather. And I know that Leonardo was smarter than I am.

But why do you think it takes some great level of intelligence to remove rocks from an area. Do you really think it takes advanced technology to lay out straight lines in a desert?

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Is it even known when the Nazca lines were made? It's interesting that you state that the people who made them were not very intelligent.
So when did people "become" more intelligent? These lines may only be several hundred years old...but Aristotle and Plato then wouldn't be considered intelligent among countless others....

LOL Phage you edited while I was typing, damn you.

edit on 10/2/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

Maybe intelligent is the wrong word, but they certainly aren't highly educated. It follows that if they don't have the knowledge, how could they think on from what they know to what may be? This is the foundation of current human knowledge - taking an idea, expanding it, then developing the idea further, and asking "what if".

Take monkeys - they see our cameras, but do you think they know what it is doing? Unless they have the concept of what an image is in the first place, then the idea of moving images from lots of consecutive still images, are they going to figure that it records motion? I'd suggest not.

So, if the Nazca people do not know that people can fly, then why would they think anything else can (apart from birds), and then extend that idea to something flying in from outside Earth?

I think back in 8 AD they still thought the world was flat!

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Perhaps they thought their gods dwelled in the sky and the drawings were made for them.
Since they didn't see their gods walking around on the ground, the sky (or underground) must be where they lived.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

No. There is no indication that human intelligence has increased in the past 15 thousand years (at least). I don't think I'm any more intelligent than my mother was and I know I'm not more intelligent than my grandfather. And I know that Leonardo was smarter than I am.

But why do you think it takes some great level of intelligence to remove rocks from an area. Do you really think it takes advanced technology to lay out straight lines in a desert?

I don't think it takes any technology to move rocks - just raw human effort will do, but the interesting point is this: why "draw" what they did in the rock? It doesn't look like a human face, yet it clearly has a head, 2 eyes, is waiving with its right arm, and clearly has 2 legs and feet.

If you then consider it can only be properly viewed from the air, then it all adds up to a very strange type of drawing for a few people who were bored one Tuesday afternoon. It will have taken some effort to create.

The Pyramids make sense - you don't need to fly to see it for example - but this drawing?? To what are they apparently signaling?

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The Dogon tribe of Mali have spoken of Alien contact for 5000 years
As have other older peoples

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I think back in 8 AD they still thought the world was flat!

Not everyone did. Aristotle put forth why he thought the world was round, but a couple centuries later around 200 BC Eratosthenes proved it was and determined its size no less.
I first learned that from Carl Sagan on Cosmos, but it is summed up here.users.zoominternet.net...

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

As for "why", see my post above.
No doubt it took more than an afternoon. How long do you think it took to do this:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd6a7f54dca3.jpg[/atsimg]
Why did they do it?

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

About 3 minute to copy paste dear Phage lol

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Perhaps they thought their gods dwelled in the sky and the drawings were made for them.
Since they didn't see their gods walking around on the ground, the sky (or underground) must be where they lived.

An interesting idea.

en.wikipedia.org...

No doubt due to the extreme nature of the surrounding environment, much of Nasca religious beliefs centered around agriculture and fertility. Much of Nasca art depicts powerful nature gods such as the mythical killer whale, the harvesters, the mythical spotted cat, the serpentine creature, and the most prevalent of worshiped figures, the anthropomorphic mythical being.

Will take more research into what their beliefs were.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I have read speculation that some of the many animal shapes were used as a ceremonial path to walk. Just speculation though.

edit on 10/2/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: eating and typing

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

As for "why", see my post above.
No doubt it took more than an afternoon. How long do you think it took to do this:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd6a7f54dca3.jpg[/atsimg]
Why did they do it?

This is an easier question to answer.

1) The point of churches in general being built like this was one of power, stature and visibility. It is widely acknowledged that churches were built tall, with grand roofs etc.. as to build high took money and skill, and the church was very interested in demonstrating this to the people, who's personal housing was very small and usually only single-story, if they had anything at all.

2) Visibility. They were very tall so they were imposing at a distance, and thus visible to people who were physically far away. You will also find they are also built on the top of hills to further increase visibility, and thus increase the effect of power and wealth that the church has.

3) It can be seen by humans without any assistance, as well as housing the higher classes in the social hierarchy.

It is still true today that religious buildings are some of the tallest buildings in any given area. They are only dwarfed by high-rise buildings, which are themselves built as a sign of power, money, and prestige, much as the churches were centuries earlier.

In the case of the Nazca drawings however, they are neither tall nor visible from ground-level, and you need to be able to fly to see it clearly, which none of the regular people could do, so I suggest its purpose isn't aimed at the people of earth.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Interesting idea. Sort of like this on a grand scale:

Every year near Oct. 31st, Full Circle, a spiritual practice group at the UU church of Annapolis, marks the turning of the year and honor those who have passed away. A canvas labyrinth is set up and used in a walking meditation to remember those who have passed away, and to be mindful of things that need to be released from ones life. At the center candles are lit to to honor those who have passed. As participants walk out following the labyrinth, they meditated on letting in new things into their lives for the new year. Below are photos of the altars that participants set up prior to the ritual. The individual altars have photos and objects of friends and family that have passed away.

fullcircleuuca.org...

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I was talking about the amount of time devoted to it. In religious matters, time doesn't usually matter much, as long as the task is done.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I was talking about the amount of time devoted to it. In religious matters, time doesn't usually matter much, as long as the task is done.

I would agree - my local Cathedral took 35 years to build to its initial basic layout - it has since been added to over the centuries (and built taller with each addition).

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The Ancient Peruvians were more concerned with the dark areas of the Milky Way than actual stars and had a method of projecting/reflecting these regions upon their landscape. Say for example they picked out one area that to them looked liked a Lama - They reflected this in their clothing designs - In Native American clothing the patterns actually represent something of their beliefs. Geometry was known by ancient peoples - to create the Nazca lines is a simple use of geometry. A grid reference if you like

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join