It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the "W" stand for?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
This new set-up is pretty cool. I get the star, flags and points initial...but what in the world is the "W" for? I have 16 W's more than I've seen most others have. What does this mean? The only thing I can think of is how many of my threads have made it to the front page. Or Warnings which I do not have any that I know of. So what does it stand for?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
It cannot be warnings. I have had some and show 0 after the w. Is it Debate Wins?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Never did a debate that I know of lol. I have 13 applauses so that cannot be it either.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Ok, one last time:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You guys should really check the ATS Issues thread or the 2010 updates thread from time to time...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
And to be infinitely less dickish and expect you to read through over 37 pages of one thread and 100's of pages of another here is the actual answer in this thread:

Dickish? Sheez. The link in my post above takes you DIRECTLY to that post. Not just to one of the threads. But of course if you had clicked on it, you might have seen that.
It just doesn't pay to help anyone around here anymore... Get called a dick for trying to help. And I can't even ignore you anymore...Jeez. This is getting bad folks...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Thanks TA. I appreciate it.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Hey TA it wasn't an attack on you so please don't think I don't appreciate all the hard work and effort you put into making this community a lively, educational and worthwhile place to be.

I just think that doing all the work to find the appropriate links and then posting links to them instead of just quoting what was important from within them (Which I did coincidentally by clicking on them) is a much simpler way to present information in a thread asking for that information.

I may have come across a touch harsh but that's because of the acceptance of the 'go do the research', or 'it's here somewhere and find a link later', or general vague-ness that is common place here on ATS.

You got the brunt of it and for that I apologize and was wrong to do so.

-m0r

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Thank you for the information...but to say I should look harder before posting, all I can say is I did and do you know how when you search "W" how many responses it gets. I looked at the updates and didn't see it. Thank you for being aware of what this means.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

Thank you for the information...but to say I should look harder before posting, all I can say is I did and do you know how when you search "W" how many responses it gets. I looked at the updates and didn't see it. Thank you for being aware of what this means.

I'm with you on this. I searched and couldn't find the answer even when given links. I guess not knowing what the 'W' is won't kill me. Maybe I'll get one for this post? I think it stands for 'warnings'... but still not sure.

I'm usually not a lazy person, but I'm not on much and honestly don't have the time to look through 29 pages of stuff.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty

I just think that doing all the work to find the appropriate links and then posting links to them instead of just quoting what was important from within them (Which I did coincidentally by clicking on them) is a much simpler way to present information in a thread asking for that information.

I may have come across a touch harsh but that's because of the acceptance of the 'go do the research', or 'it's here somewhere and find a link later', or general vague-ness that is common place here on ATS.

You got the brunt

-m0r

Personally, and I'm not trying to be rude because I understand your reasoning on this, I think it would have been far easier to just answer the question. Typing all that stuff and then putting a link in when you just could have simply said what the answer was seems a lot easier to me. Besides, neither link was helpful. I'm not paging thru 29 pages of stuff to find an answer. Its not that I'm lazy... its just that it isn't THAT important to me. I think I can live the rest of my life not knowing what the 'W' stands for. If the links were designed to go directly to the answer I did not see it.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I also looked through the link and couldn't find what the W stands for. WHY CAN'T YOU JUST ANSWER ? lol -_^

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
The W is for how many times you've received a vote for a WATS award. (Way Above Top Secret) They stopped doing those sometime in 2007 I think. That's why you all haven't ever seen them before.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Jenna because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Alienmojo

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Ok, one last time:

You guys should really check the ATS Issues thread or the 2010 updates thread from time to time...

TA wrote 3 lines and his link too you directly to the answer... what is the issue here?

I don't see how anyone can complain and say that it would have been easier to just say what it meant?
If people just clicked the link they would have found the answer.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
This new set-up is pretty cool. I get the star, flags and points initial...but what in the world is the "W" for?

The W stands for "WATS" and it has been addressed and talked about within the last 4 pages of the ATS 2010 thread, but I can not recall which post exactly. It is calculated by taking into account flags and stars, but I don't know the exact forumula off the top of my head. The W does not stand for warnings, or I would have more than just 3 of them

Also, the P does not stand for points, I believe it stands for Posts. As in total amount of posts you have contributed on ATS.

edit to add:
on page 33 there is a discussion concerning the W and what it stands for:

Hope this helps,
ET

edit on 30-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: add some stuff

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
..... Damn

I thought it stood for " Wins" ...... from the annual ATS Kumite.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I knew I should have made a thread

We were in chat last night trying to figure it out. I figured it out in the thread TA linked to, thanks btw TA

I loosely got that it was wayabovetopsecret, but not too sure on what that is really. Someone said voting is involved. Well how does this work? Could someone explain this please. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I loosely got that it was wayabovetopsecret, but not too sure on what that is really. Someone said voting is involved. Well how does this work? Could someone explain this please. Thanks.

I think it's to do with this.

WayAboveTopSecret

So, It's your WATS index number, something that's calculated by how many flags and stars you've got.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This is all so complicated. I can't handle too much information lol this new ATS makes me want to stop visiting at all

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Ironically enough just before I read this reply I saw the "w" under tools and clicked on that and it took me to the page you linked

Well I have more flags and stars than I thought. I don't really look at them.

Thanks RA

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join