It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stalkbook: Facebook Places launches in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Stalkbook: Facebook Places launches in Australia

www.smh.com.au

Facebook users in Australia can share their location with friends from today after the social networking website launched its Places feature.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Facebook said Places would enable "serendipitous meetings" between friends who are near each other. Users get notifications if friends check in somewhere close to them.

Looks like an invitation for crime all you will need to do is make friends with someone and wait until they are out in a vulnerable situation and kidnap/burglary victim they will become

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Thats scary!
My buddy got arrested the other night and when we got there to pick him up he said after he was processed the cops found him on facebook and were adding him to their friends. Now, that's when I thank god I don't have a facebook! Makes ya wonder who's really watching.

Twitter has a thing where you can add location to your tweets. That also is too much for me.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by chyeaaitskristyn

wow that is pretty scary (get arrested and become added to there own police criminal list on Facebook) i wonder if once on the criminal list the laws are relaxed about your privacy allowing for sinister spying and the like

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The iphone has had a twitter app that does this for quite some time now. You just press a button on your phone and it sends out a twitter message of your exact location. Phone Losers of America actually had some fun with this, because with the way twitter works, you can see in real time everytime someone tweets their location, so they would watch that, and then call the places that people were at and ask for them and mess around with them.

I remember one was to a guy at a pharmacy, so they called up the pharmacy and asked for him, and when he got on the phone the pranker said that he was himself from the future and DO NOT BUY THE TYLENOL

Good stuff, but you have to be a complete moron to even have a facebook or twitter account, much less use these features. I just can't believe most people don't realize what these sites are actually used for by authorities.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

LMAO LMAO!
I never heard about that!

It's like a dictionary of people! And they are allowed to keep and give away all of your info even if you delete your account.
therumpus.net... -internet-5-anonymous-facebook-employee/

You can learn anything about anybody on the internet. Flipping scary!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

They can only use the info you give them though. I use it to keep in touch with people I'd otherwise lose touch with, so what if the government knows my friends/connections, they can find that out with humint or phone taps.

So what if a corporation can find out my sex, age, name, they're hardly secrets.

EDIT: If you're worried about the authorities watching you, I think you'd be safer with a facebook account than an ATS account, aside from the content, this has got to be one of the most tightly regulated places on teh interweb.

edit on 30-9-2010 by pscysm because: to add more

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by chyeaaitskristyn
Thats scary!
My buddy got arrested the other night and when we got there to pick him up he said after he was processed the cops found him on facebook and were adding him to their friends. Now, that's when I thank god I don't have a facebook! Makes ya wonder who's really watching.

Twitter has a thing where you can add location to your tweets. That also is too much for me.

You do realise that one doesn't have to use those features and tell everyone where they currently are right?

People need to relax and take a deep breath.
It's called free-will. If people want to babble about every little bit of their lives, then they can on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
If they don't want to, they don't have to.

It's a choice.

I don't see what there is to be scared about. If you personally don't want to use facebook or update everyone about your whereabouts, then don't. Simple as that. Your privacy is protected.

But you should also be aware that whenever you step out into public, other people see you. People you may know might see you. They might tell others that they saw you.

Does that scare you? Because it's the same concept.
You aren't going to lock your self indoors though are you.

And as for the Police adding him to facebook, he doesn't have to accept them as a friend, and they can't see anything about him, if he has all the privacy settings set correctly.
If the Police think they can force him to add them, then he should contact a lawyer. Because that would be an extremely strange and unheard of thing, dare I call it a law.

top topics

join