It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unpublished Iraq War Logs Trigger Internal WikiLeaks Revolt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Unpublished Iraq War Logs Trigger Internal WikiLeaks Revolt

www.wired.com

A domino chain of resignations at the secret-spilling site WikiLeaks followed a unilateral decision by autocratic founder Julian Assange to schedule an October release of 392,000 classified U.S. documents from the war in Iraq, according to former WikiLeaks staffers.

‘I am the heart and soul of this organization, its founder, philosopher, spokesperson, original coder, organizer, financier and all the rest. If you have a problem with me, piss off.’ - Julian Assange
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Well this isn't good news. Some people part of Wikileaks, aren't happy with Assange. And some are already quitting they're jobs.

At least half a dozen WikiLeaks staffers have tendered their resignations in recent weeks, the most prominent of them being Daniel Domscheit-Berg, who, under the name Daniel Schmitt, served as WikiLeaks’ German spokesman.

Assange need's to be careful with the people that work for him. I'd hate to see this site go down.

www.wired.com

Iraq War Doc's

edit on 27-9-2010 by Oozii because: Added Link

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

So what

It is about the content of the website which make the website great, not people who work for Wikileak. For all we know they might be paid by the CIA

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
How do we know those people aren't being pressured from outside influences? Maybe Julian Assange is doing the smart thing here. He knows these people are being influenced, so it's time to clean house.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Or maybe the staffers quit because they dont want to be involved with this organization when he releases the documents. This seems the most logical answer. When the rats jump off the ship watch out something big is coming.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
reply to post by harrytuttle

Or maybe the staffers quit because they dont want to be involved with this organization when he releases the documents. This seems the most logical answer. When the rats jump off the ship watch out something big is coming.

I think you're right. They all resigned AFTER Julian announced he was going to release all those files. I know from previous articles that Wikileaks staff personally go through all the files they release, to make sure that they don't release anything that could put lives at risk. (I suppose this point is debatable) But I find it VERY hard to believe that they have managed to sift through that many documents. I'm guessing they are quitting because of unknown ramifications. They may suspect that some of the unchecked documents may push the US over the edge to take full legal action.

Or maybe it's just an ideological dispute - since the article claims that Assange acted unilaterally, i.e. without the consent of the other staff, maybe that alone was enough to make them quit. I can see that as another equally viable possibility, but given the enormous amount of files, I think my first scenario is more likely.

Either way, I still think everything should be released. It reminds me of the theme of one of my favorite movies - "Too many secrets." (Sneakers - 1992)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I agree.
everyone can quit, so long as the site continue's to show the real American Government.

clearly there's more than anyones being told here..

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This article was written by Wired's Kevin Poulsen, the same guy who supposedly had private conversations with Bradley Manning and got him to confess all those leaks.

In other words, DONT TRUST A WORD THAT COMES OUT OF THIS GUYS MOUTH. I don't trust one line of those supposed conversations between Assange and his co-worker.

edit on 28/9/2010 by serbsta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It seems to me that Assange is just a horrible leader. These people aren't quitting because of the leaks, else they wouldn't have signed on in the first place. Instead, it appears that Assange is full of himself and a piss-poor leader, according to what Wikileaks members say about him in public and private. This sounds like clear managemant issues that could have been avoided with someone who is more capable.

It sounds like Assange is soaking up all of the attention and I have though this way for along time, with all of the interviews and the way that Assange seems to love the limelight. So instead of appointing a capable leader and embracing his own humbleness, Assangeis acting like he is Wikileaks, as if he is an emporer. The result of sky-rocketing success with a leader at the helm that is incapable of leadership.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I dunno airspoon,
For a man whom is probably being pursued by a number of world intelligence organisations I could understand why he wants things done his way or the highway.. after all, like you said, he's the focal point, he's the one to be made an example of.

Id assume others are probably scared of the ramifications for working for him.

Like you said, he gets the lime light, he gets the money. the rest are in reality datacrunchers.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Last time I checked, 1 video of real substance captured the world's attention. If only for a little while.

But wait ... **392,000!!!** documents !!!!

If I'm a journalist working for Wikileaks, I'm thinking "What's the freaking point of this hype?"

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
the documents could prove that america has been drug running and murdering for profit,

a rightfull thing to expose,

but wouldnt it put lives at danger to expose it? that seems reason enough for someone with little courage to resign.

we'll just have to wait to see what these documents actualy say before we can all log on to ats to debate if they shoulda been released.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

That's what they want you to think. When the U.S.A.'s #1 info enemy is suddenly presented by the mainstream media as a bad guy, that should kind of be a red flag warning to you that the impression is 100% B.S.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
If Julian Assange has said he is going to release the file in october...could this be a ploy/method to weed out people in Wikileaks that arent committed 100%?

If he has something big to announce, why say that it is going to be released in october?

Just slam it out on the net ASAP and sit abck and watch the war-hawks scurry around........I think there is method to his madness....I support what he does thou I think he needs something more hard hitting to release than what he has already released....its like all these little leaks are small teasers leading to the big one.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

‘I am the heart and soul of this organization, its founder, philosopher, spokesperson, original coder, organizer, financier and all the rest. If you have a problem with me, piss off.’ - Julian Assange
I have to agree with him...how can he be a piss poor leader if he has managed to achieve so much thus far and still not be caught? That's a big reason why people think he is working for intelligence agencies...either he does, or he's just a really smart guy who knows to make things happen. I'm just going to give him benefit of the doubt for now. Either way, he clearly has skills, and if people want to question his decisions, I say he's better off without them, they will only destroy him in the end. Being who he is, he knows that the only person he can really trust is himself. As he said, they can go ahead and leave, it proves they're just a weak link in the chain.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Have a little update on Wikileaks and the Iraq war documents but was to lazy to create a new topic

Iraq docs coming to WikiLeaks October 18

As the article states Wikileaks isn't far away from releasing a lot of documents on the war in Iraq.
The linked article mentions october 18th as a release date. But the original article (linked in the linked article
) has no accurate date for the release.

I wonder if the extended downtime/maintenance of the wikileaks site as something todo with the preparations for the release?
Or is it just for security reasons as long as internal struggles continue?

I'm very curious about the impacts and the reactions to the upcoming release.

@topic: everytime a cooperations/company/organisation starts to get popular there are internal power struggles... let's see if they can continue their work an fullfill their promises.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

If something like that is in the hands of Wiki, how many lives will it cost NOT to publish it?

second

top topics

join