It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High-Speed Videos: The Hidden World of Insect Flight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Frog Fail

Ladybug Flight Fail

"In one sense, it's funny to watch he ladybug not successfully take off. But you wonder, how often does this happen?" said Mountcastle. "Takeoffs and landings happen so many times a day, it's not surprising that sometimes it doesn't work out quite so well."

Hovering Moth

Unlike the other videos, this comes from Mountcastle's academic work on Manduca moths, in particular the aerodynamic consequences of their wings' ripples and folds.

"They are relatively large moths, not quite as big as hummingbirds, but approaching that size. They've got this long, tongue-like proboscis, which they unroll and stick into flowers to feed on the nectar. They need to be very good at hovering," he said.

Frog Fail 2

From another perspective, of course, the frog's fail is the dragonfly's success. "It's a really nice illustration of the importance of having a fast escape response. Dragonflies have great vision that's really important not only for capturing prey, but escaping predators."

Check out the rest of the video's at; Wired.com

-------------------

I love video's like this. I'd have to say after watching the ladybug video, I couldn't keep myself from laughing. And i'd have to agree with the description of the video, how often do bugs attempt to fly and not succeed?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I love the way the frog instinctually uses it's hands to finish shoving the tongue catch into it's mouth, only this time, it's a miss. Great post Oozil, love the nature stuff! I chuckled too at the ladybug, it must of been practicing it's first flights, or maybe just finished feeding on some over-ripe grapes.

Peace,
spec

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Oh yeah me too, when it's slowed down it seems to be way off, but at regular speed it seems to barely miss it.

Im glad you enjoyed it

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I love these kinds of videos.

And yes, I'm sure if the video is sped up, the frog looks much closer to snagging that meal.

Got any more cool slo-mo vids?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Oh there are plenty

-Enjoy

edit on 27-9-2010 by Oozii because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Amazing vids and loved the spiders! Tried to get my boyfriend to watch the spiders (knowing they frighten him) he took right off

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Here's another addition Ooz:

spec

top topics

join