It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(UK) Teesside road closed after suspicious package found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

(UK) Teesside road closed after suspicious package found

www.gazet telive.co.uk

A Teesside high street has been closed by after a suspicious package was discovered.

Cleveland Police have been called to reports of a suspicious package in Normanby High Street.

As a precautionary measure an area of the High Street has been closed and diversions have been put in place.

Read More www.gazettelive.co.uk...< br />
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
This is just breaking so will post more as it becomes clear whats going on.

This isnt too far away from me so i was surprised about this, i dont think we've ever had a threat this close to us before. I suspect the police and public are being a little over cautious because of the recently raised threat from the IRA.

www.gazet telive.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Oh it will probably be nothing sinister, some has probably left it there by mistake.

Should be okay. I will keep an eye on this Thread, keep us up to date, with what is occurring please if you do not mind.

edit on 27-9-2010 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Knowing the area, it'll probably be a forgotten Parmo in a Asda bag!
Unless it's the goals that have been lost that belong to the local soccer
team!!!

Sorry... couldn't resist.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The IRA wouldn't target Teesside.

I believe this will be nothing.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I agree, the industrial area isn't what it used to be, so attacking the Corus plant
or any other places wouldn't make such an impact on the world stage.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Whilst I also suspect this won't be anything other than a lost or misplaced bag or something similar I'm curious as to why you think the IRA would never target Teesside?

edit on 27/9/10 by Freeborn because: clarification and grammar

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

Unless it's the goals that have been lost that belong to the local soccer
team!!!

Sorry... couldn't resist.

Couldnt agree with you more on that one lol.

The area is still closed off, what got me is the fact that me or the missus usually pass right by this area to get the kids to/from school. It can get quite busy, especially during rush hour.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c72fa1afd6e9.jpg[/atsimg]

As you can see Normanby is located around a usually busy set of cross roads. A terror threat here could have a reasonable amount of effectiveness.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Had a look on Google map. Callous as this seems, there really isn't anything worth targeting. A local corner shop isn't a threat to Irish republicanism

There is nothing on the BBC or any other local news either

edit on 27-9-2010 by infinite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Because the IRA only targeted military bases, police stations
or significant commercial properties. Yes, Teesside is a soft target but there is real no significance. Expect plenty of alerts, next week, during the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It has been said that theyre to target UK banks and places of finance, there is a bank in Normanby and another less than a mile down the road in Eston. Both in ideal locations to A) get their message across, and B) cause significant damage to people and property as these areas can get quite busy.

Im not wanting people to think im a doomsayer, it just made me look for the who's, how's and why's.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

So why did they bomb Warrington?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Just a small update.

The investigation into the package is currently ongoing.

As a precautionary measure anyone living within a 100m radius of the junction of Clive Road and Normanby Road are being asked to remain indoors.

They are also being asked to close their curtains and keep away from any windows, although police insist this is purely as a precautionary measure.

Parents with children in the surrounding schools in Normanby are also being asked to be aware of the diversions that are in place.

Members of the public are being asked to avoid the area around Normanby Top and the top end of the High Street.

Read More www.gazettelive.co.uk... 7350908/#ixzz10jtRV08Z

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Any word on the location of this package, where it was left?

The article does not seem to suggest.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It was left at the Clive road/Normanby road junction.

Its looking like the worry is over, the police have now opened up the roads and the articles have now been removed from the link i posted. Would be of been nice to have had a closing update.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I am always suspicous of such storys as it could be a ploy to ramp up the anti and instigate more control methods over us. We throw away our liberties so easily when faced by the controlled media hype machine.
Take this pill it is good for you.
You are in grave danger do as the authorities say.
If you disagree you will be considered a terrorist as is now happening in the USA.
We need to install emergency measures which you can not question.
Goverments/The state are by far the biggest cause of unnatural death - Murder in the name of a corrupt ideology
I could be wrong but there again I could be right

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

So why did they bomb Warrington?

Who truly is behind the IRA - I do not know - I do know that AL queda should be renamed Al CIAeda

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
A fun thing to think about, because this is a conspiracy site after all, is this:

What if random "suspicious package" events are excuses to clear out an area for some clandestine operation? We would never know as the media only reports on the package(and probably if it is "terrorist" related or not) and not about the community involved(sometimes local news reports on it but MSM definitely won't).

So what if it was an excuse to get some black ops completed? We may never know.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
This is the latest update of the situation that unfolded yesterday, although the threat turned out to be nothing, the police think that it was a deliberate intention for the package to appear as a bomb.

A package which may have been designed to look like a bomb
brought chaos to part of Teesside and has sparked a criminal investigation.

Normanby High Street was sealed off for nearly three hours yesterday, causing widespread disruption, while police and bomb disposal officers investigated a suspicious package found behind a row of shops by a Redcar and Cleveland Council worker.

The drama began at about midday, though it wasn’t until just before 3pm that the main cordons and traffic diversions were lifted after the package was confirmed as harmless.

But a small cordon remained around the immediate area while scenes of crime officers continued their inquiries.

And with the package apparently made to look like a bomb, police today confirmed a criminal investigation is under way.

Read More www.gazettelive.co.uk...

Im going to keep my ears open and see what comes of this, it'll be interesting to see if it was an official threat or just some local idiot (and there are plenty) pulling a prank.

join