It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of info is contained in my scary new passport?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I just got a new passport today and was surprised when I opened it up to find some scary looking technology inside

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e08a84bc35a.jpg[/atsimg]

I was aware that passports had changed but didn't realise that they looked like this now.

Can anyone tell me what actual information is contained in this chip? as all I can find is vague references to anti fraud etc

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I too would love to know whats contained on this. I wonder if a black market reader will become available anytime soon. Im sure criminals and people with stuff to hide will have a vested interest in such technology, and do you think it would be possible to 'overwrite' what ever information is contained on this chip?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I'm also wondering how long the antenna would be if I uncoiled it, but as it cost me £80 it would be a pretty expensive experiment

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
And it begins!!

Not too sure myself but I would love to know. Maybe it just logs a unique number at each airport you pass through.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

In the booklet I got with the passport it says.

....gives you access to automated immigration gates...... These systems work on facial recognition..

So I guess it must have an electronic version of my passport picture in there somewhere

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Here's what I've found...

A biometric passport, also known as an e-passport or ePassport, is a combined paper and electronic passport (hence the e-, as in e-mail) that contains biometric information that can be used to authenticate the identity of travelers. It uses contactless smart card technology, including a microprocessor chip (computer chip) and antenna (for both power to the chip and communication) embedded in the front or back cover, or center page, of the passport. Document and chip characteristics are documented in the International Civil Aviation Organisation's (ICAO) Doc 9303.[1][2][3] The passport's critical information is both printed on the data page of the passport and stored in the chip. Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) is used to authenticate the data stored electronically in the passport chip making it virtually impossible to forge when all security mechanisms are fully and correctly implemented.

The currently standardized biometrics used for this type of identification system are facial recognition, fingerprint recognition, and iris recognition. These were adopted after assessment of several different kinds of biometrics including retinal scan. The ICAO defines the biometric file formats and communication protocols to be used in passports. Only the digital image (usually in JPEG or JPEG2000 format) of each biometric feature is actually stored in the chip. The comparison of biometric features is performed outside the passport chip by electronic border control systems (e-borders). To store biometric data on the contactless chip, it includes a minimum of 32 kilobytes of EEPROM storage memory, and runs on an interface in accordance with the ISO/IEC 14443 international standard, amongst others. These standards ensure interoperability between different countries and different manufacturers of passport books.

Source

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Thats useful information, but all I had to do to get the passport was go to the post office and have my picture take in a photo booth. So I don't see how they could be using fingerprint or Iris recognition, I guess the UK just uses facial recognition.

Unless new photo booths can somehow take my fingerprints and scan my Iris.. I have never been arrested so I don't think my prints are on file anywhere

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Are you in the UK? I seem to recall that being the case, but I've been known to have a shoddy memory at times! From what I've gathered different nations use different biometric identifiers.

Also, the UK version has already been hacked so they may not even be using the biometric capabilities at this point.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Yes I'm in the Uk...

I can't believe it the passport costs £80 but for £105 I could buy some hardware and clone as many as I want

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Yes I'm in the Uk...

I can't believe it the passport costs £80 but for £105 I could buy some hardware and clone as many as I want

And yeah, If caught you face an industrial espionage summon,s if found guilty could get you 4-15yrs jail time..
Not a good idea my friend,

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I imagine that for now it's just facial recognition, but maybe you go for a driver's license renewal next year, and they grab your fingerprints. Then maybe in a couple more years you take a flight somewhere and you have to submit to a retinal scan in order to board.

Oh they'll get your biometrics buddy, don't worry about that part!

I also just LOVE those new websites that lets you find "twins" and such around the world...I can't help but assume they are run by the CIA or HSA or something, quietly grabbing biometrics off unsuspecting fools who give away their image, (matched to name and email and whatnot I am sure).

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
It's the work of the antichrist. They want to have everybody get used to the idea so that when the time comes they can justify to the masses inserting chips into their foreheads or right hands. No need to carry your billfold, passport, or driver's license, just let them scan you. Also, they will do away with coins and paper money so you won't be ABLE to buy anything without being chipped. And of course who submit to the chip will be irrevocably damned for all time. It will probably do something to your brain so that your conscience or soul or whatever is shut off. You are a mindless robot. You won't even WANT to be saved. You will love the antichrist. Welcome to the New World Order, waiting room to Hell.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I just remembered that the last time I went to the US they did indeed scan my Iris and take my fingerprints. I forgot all about that.
I wonder if it has that data.. Maybe, I don't know how much info they share

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Your diary along with every person's name you slept with and how many times, and nude photos of you both for proof.

Wow that is scary

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Are you in the UK? I seem to recall that being the case, but I've been known to have a shoddy memory at times! From what I've gathered different nations use different biometric identifiers.

Also, the UK version has already been hacked so they may not even be using the biometric capabilities at this point.

I read the article and IMHO this is only a half-hack. Cloning data (which I bet is heavily encrypted) is not same as being able to modify it. Case in point: even with an ordinary paper passport, it's possible to create a copy of varying quality. But with biometrics, there are your fingerprints etc right in the chip that can be used to authenticate you further. So if used by a malefactor, that only helps to get them caught, to a measure.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

I read the article and IMHO this is only a half-hack. Cloning data (which I bet is heavily encrypted) is not same as being able to modify it. Case in point: even with an ordinary paper passport, it's possible to create a copy of varying quality. But with biometrics, there are your fingerprints etc right in the chip that can be used to authenticate you further. So if used by a malefactor, that only helps to get them caught, to a measure.

Agreed, in principle. Although the chip is apparently not encrypted:

Mr Grunwald said his discovery was made within two weeks of first attempting to copy the data, and the equipment used cost $200 (£105). It is believed the hacking principle could be applied to any new passport issued in Britain, the US and other countries. But the findings do not mean that all biometric information could be faked or altered by criminals. Although the data held on a passport chip is not encrypted, it is not yet possible to change the cloned data without alerting the authorities.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Interesting! So apparently they store the checksum somewhere, hehe. It's still a mystery to me why they won't encrypt it, the technology is out there.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I got my passport last November and tossed it in the Microwave. It started sparking after 3 seconds. I stoped it at 6 seconds so it wouldn't burn. I was still able to go thru customs in January when I went to Cancun Mexico...
you can see the outline of the antenna that sparked the most!

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I have Ye Olde Passport so I do not have the chip. What I do know though is at checkpoints and such my passport got run through a slider reader and acted like a sort of "information credit card" as they swiped it. What I think now is that the chip allows for a quicker scan as well as an all in one storage space so that customs(and whoever else) does not have to wait for the magnetic strip information to load your data in their systems. Instead they can just get it all right away then and there!

Interesting though because this means there is a lot more info that can be gained about you and placed on your passport but it also means easier counterfeiting if you can edit the data on such a chip.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

ummm i just got my passport one week ago and it looks nothing like that did you get the book or card? i have both but neither has a chip on it and both just came in 1 week ago :S

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join