It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian government warns fans not to fly flag at Delhi over terror fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Hi All,

It seems that with the upcoming Commonwealth Games, the warnings are flying. How do other Aussies (or any Commonwealth country attending) people feel about the doomsday predictions issued by some of the Commonwealth countries?

Do you feel that there is a need for this level of fear-mongering? Is it fear-mongering? Or just an attempt to let people know what they may in for? Do you feel it's worth sending people over there just for a sporting event?

I look forward to hearing your opinions. Here's some links to some stories about it:

Austalian Goverment warns fans not to fly the flag at Dehli over terror fears

Kiwis tagets for kidnappers

DFAT Updates Warnings

Keven Rudd says the warnings 'speak for themselves'

Cheers
Shane

edit on 26/9/10 by shamus78 because: added stuff

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Brit here,

At this point I'm thinking that the whole games should just be scrapped all together, or should have been in the first place after it was revealed that the games are more or less given to whatever country offers the best bride to the others
link

It's been reported that up to 1000 people have been killed during the construction of the CWG sites including a 2 year old link and child labour on the site is common place If this was happening in Oz or the UK the construction would have been halted immediately but it's just been ignored.

Terrorism is the least of my concerns with this one. It should never have been allowed to go this far

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
We (Australians) shouldn't be going. The Delhi Games are an absolute joke! If you're going to hold a world class event, the facilities should be world class. Instead, all we hear are excuses for why they aren't. So many athletes are going to get sick over there and under perform just though the basic lack of hygiene in the village.

Then there's the terrorist threat. If a few people from the press can infiltrate the security there, then someone trained to do such a thing will have no problems at all. The Indian government cannot give any kind of guarantee for peoples safety, health and well being. It should be boycotted as it's the only way India is going to get the message and hold themselves to a higher level.

If they want to play on the world stage, they have to do everything to a first world standard.

IRM :shk:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I agree with you, if Australians have to go into a place that is supposed to be fun and spend the time restricted to avoid terrorist then by goodness sake boycott the whole thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like government agenda to benefit only one side.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
It sounds like fearmongering to me.

Loss of tourism to india, I don't think anything will happen to be honest.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Part of me asks why do we choose to live in Fear?

And another part of me thinks I wouldn't stay in the accomodation I've seen photographed there.

And yet another part of me thinks maybe these games should not go ahead.

But, the games are a symbol of good things about humanity and so they cannot be allowed to end up bare of athletes and countries participating.

Somewhere in the back of my mind is a memory of an prophecy to do with the Games...hmm, might have to spend some time digging around for that one.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
True, the accomidation seems to be a bit cruddy. I'll wait till the inevitable reports from the athletes themselves. Who knows, maybe the massive amount of cleaners India dispatched to the village may have achieved a miracle?

What about the possibility of an attack from (lets call them) terrorists?

Any Indian ATS members here? Would love to hear you side of the story.

Cheers
Shane

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Mate i believe this is just the gov covering it's back the risk is very real(as the recent violence has shown) and i think that an attack or multiple attacks are next to guaranteed in this region although i plan on heading there early Feb and don't really care what the travel advisory have to say yet i would not want to be there now or in the coming weeks that being said with a population of 1b+ you prob have more chance of being attacked by a shark on land than killed over there in a violent outburst

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

prob have more chance of being attacked by a shark on land than killed over there in a violent outburst

I completely agree.

I think a lot of it is the respective governments covering all the bases. If an attack did happen, and no travel advisory were in place, people would ask why not.

Cheers
Shane

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
1. Why do we need to build new stadiums and infrastructure every time there’s a games, Surely being the worlds in economic depression, and the lesser worlds aren’t coping why did we need to do this?

2. I feel sorry for the Indian government, India is such a populace place with practically open borders to the entire Asian/European area that the government really has no control over who or what comes in for these games. I think they are hoping and preying as much as anyone else that some sort of group doesn’t attack.

3. If you pay your workers so little money and offer them no real life, they will do a dodgy job.

4. Commonwealth games aren’t the world focal point for sport, the Olympics is. I wouldn’t see any issue boycotting these games.

edit on 26-9-2010 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Sounds like government agenda to benefit only one side.

Indeed... and you watch how many athletes will mysteriously come down with Delhi Belly! Nice field leveller, that... If you know what I mean! It's amazing what some people will do when there's millions upon millions of dollars riding on sports fixing in that country.

If I was an athlete there, I'd be doing what Shane Warne did and live off baked beans.

IRM

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery
with a population of 1b+ you prob have more chance of being attacked by a shark on land than killed over there in a violent outburst

Ummmm... No I don't think so mate!

IRM

top topics

join