It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New kind of torpedoes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Do you thing with this type of torpedoes Russian can kiil any kind of ships and submarine?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
From what I ahve heard they are damn scary! Thing is the US Navy also looked into it but could get the guidance to work right. Then again, at that speed, what guidance do you need? I have heard rumors that teh US Navy might be a customer for these but the Tube sizes are wrong?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
What I saw. When I was in russia about year 2000. Russian got one of USA spy that had all kinds of desings of this torpedo. So may be USA already working on their new torpedo. But also may be that desings would not help them, like it was with captured russain nukliar bomb "Satana" meaning Devil or Satan. USA's enginiers got it whole no scratch, but when they get inside they did not understand a thing. So there are only question but no answeers.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Also what I know that russian are modernizing it. It would not have any explosive, only steel or another type of heavy metal.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by pushkin
Also what I know that russian are modernizing it. It would not have any explosive, only steel or another type of heavy metal.

kenetic energy is the big deal in weapons today, that's for sure. It's being considered as a substitute for low yield nukes in applications where very small areas must be VERY thoroughly destroyed. (I'm talking about the "Rods from God" article in the last issue of popular science.)
Tank shells are going that way too, as are the guns on battleships. It's no surprise that this is sought for use against subs as well.
Unless they can adapt guidance for this weapon they will need to radically redesign submarines, or else the submarines will have to manuever so that their heading is dead-nuts on the target. The tube needs a few degrees of movement ability, or else subs can't get a shootin solution without firing up their props and giving away their position. Subs need to be able to lay in wait to be safe from passive sonar.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
the reason the US navy couldent get the guidence to get is because these things just go in a straigh line they dont change course so its good i guess but also kinda bad.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
There is an American torpedo that can go mach 1. It creates an air cavity around itself greatly decreasing the resistance

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pATTONME
There is an American torpedo that can go mach 1. It creates an air cavity around itself greatly decreasing the resistance

This is not American torpedo, but russian. thereis no American torpedo that can do mach 1.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
the reason the US navy couldent get the guidence to get is because these things just go in a straigh line they dont change course so its good i guess but also kinda bad.

Yes it true it can not turn but why you need it when you go with speed mach 1 and >. You see ship or submarine would not have time to turn or to move away.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
VA-111 Shkval
This is NOT new and both the Russian's and US are and have been toying with these concepts. This has been extensively covered in this thread and please note this particular post, which shows all the links mentioning this particular torpedo--Post Number: 584518 (post id: 605212)
VA-111 Shkval underwater rocket

seekerof

[edit on 24-6-2004 by Seekerof]

E_T

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

This is not American torpedo, but russian. thereis no American torpedo that can do mach 1.

Neither have you, speed of Shkval isn't even close to speed of sound. (even in air)

And speed of sound in water is way bigger than in air. (around 1500m/s)

www.fas.org...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Latest russian technology made torpedo fly in so called bubble of air. So it convert some of smoke from rocket engine to it from.

I think you can get much more then 360km/h.

Do you think so?
What limit of speed in this torpedoes are?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The US also has torpedo's that use a bubble of air to help is travel faster Russia isn't the only one.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
The US also has torpedo's that use a bubble of air to help is travel faster Russia isn't the only one.

Do you have any sites to prove it?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
yes i do and i will find it for you

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Damn!!
People keep thingking Russia is all weak!! Be in your own little world.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
weaker then the US for sure
the american form of this was in a popular science issue

E_T

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I think you can get much more then 360km/h.

That's pretty much "mandatory"... because its speed should be about 5400 km/h to achieve Mach 1 underwater.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
also this tech in so where near perfection and being mass produced a lot of questions have to be answered by both sides.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join