It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elderly Man's Neck Broken During Confrontation With Cop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Elderly Man's Neck Broken During Confrontation With Cop

www.wftv.com

An 84-year-old man is out of surgery Monday after he suffered a broken neck during a confrontation with an Orlando police officer over the weekend. Daniel Daley's family told WFTV Monday afternoon, that the doctors at Florida Hospital are optimistic about his recovery.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Wow. What could an 84 year old unarmed man do to a police officer to warrant this type of treatment?

There are more and more cases of police officers going overboard over the slightest thing and attacking citizens.

Makes me afraid to have one of them around me. Never know when they will think I am threatening them.

www.wftv.com

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
There are two sides to the story.

We can jump to the side of the elderly man, who was intoxicated.

We can side with the officer.

Or we can see how this plays out and wait and here from other witnesses.

What I think possibly could have happened was that the heavily intoxicated man was upset that his vehicle was being towed (thank god). When the cop arrived he probably put his hands on the officer, could have been reaching for the officers shoulder, missed due to his impairment and got a hold of the officers neck.

The officer then grabbed the mans arm and that knocked the man off balance and he ended up on with a serious injury. A sober man that has to use a walker is unstable enough, add twice the legal alcohol limit and a quick jerk to the equation and nothing good can come of it.

That is just one possibility that I am putting forward.

Just to add, I think that pressing charges against the man is a little extreme considering the injuries he has endured.

edit on 20-9-2010 by Becoming because: Add a little more.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I simply don't have enough information to conclude whether the officer was in the right, or wrong. I do however know that officers are far too quick to use force and often use force, when force isn't necessary. Police officer's safety, should not trump our natural rights, ever. They chose to take a job that is dangerous, thus they shouldn't be able to go around violating people's rights just to maintain a certain perception of safety.

With that being said, I didn't witness what happen to this elderly man, though I don't see how force could be justified against such an older and weaker person. It is far more likely that this officer used force when force wasn't absolutely necessary, as cops tend to do and do all too often.

Again, their safety doesn't and shouldn't trump our natural rights as human beings. They get paid what they do, because there is a certain level of danger. It's a part of being a police officer and if you can't handle that danger factor, then you need to find a new line of work. It shouldn't give them the right to violate other people's liberties, just because they want a better sense of safety.

--airspoon

edit on 20-9-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The officer, while within his rights, overreacted. He used a move to throw the elderly man to the pavement. Old people are like twigs; they can break very easily. You gotta use better judgment.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

No, the officer did not just remove the man's arm causing him to fall. Did you even read the article? Seriously dude, from the very first paragraph -

A 26-year-old Orlando police officer threw an 84-year-old man to the ground so hard during a confrontation over the weekend that it broke his neck.

He took the old man, grabbed him, and threw him down to the ground. That is COMPLETELY different than accidentally making the man lose his balance. Please don't be obtuse, there may be two sides to this story, but both of them entail an officer using excessive violence in a completely unjustified manner.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

There are more and more cases of police officers going overboard

www.wftv.com

There are also alot of stupid citizens to deal with just the same.
Its an equal road that should be shared.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok i will address another cop hater thread.

This guy was military and was intelligence from what i read in the article???
If so,then this guy should have been smarter then that.

The public is dumb...if you are not smart enough to deal with a cop without getting your ass kicked then I am sorry they missed that part of the equation and sorry they can't follow a few simple orders without getting the rules enforced on them.

Cops are people too and they deal with many many dumb citizens including this dufus.

From what i read he was hopped up and was not done talking to these cops??
Is that correct??

Did i also read that he was gonna knock the cop out or something to that affect??

I think he brought it on himself and i have little sympathy,but do wish his wounds heal as he is a human being.

I would not expect a former ex army intelligence officer to be that stupid.

edit on 20/9/2010 by Sauron because: removed (----) to correct page format

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The officer's name is Travis Lamont and he has been under investigation by internal affairs on at least three different occasons.
once, twice, 3 times

Is the cop black?

The fact that's it's not being reported tells me that he just might be.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
The officer's name is Travis Lamont and he has been under investigation by internal affairs on at least three different occasons.
once, twice, 3 times

Is the cop black?

The fact that's it's not being reported tells me that he just might be.

What does race have to do with this??
The story HAS been reported.
Does every story need to include the race of each individual??
If so then I really wonder why and the motives behind that type of reasoning and thinking.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Is it just me or do they only go hands on anymore with the elderly, the feeble, the youths (say under 10), the rest of the time they just gang tackle you, use tasers or shoot you. If this is his third incident of this nature.....why are we even taking about him....arrest him for assault on a person at risk, try him, sentence him, and he won't be a cop anymore.........I bet he and his buddies back at the station had a good laugh over it though.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Yes it is just you and your delusional opinion.

They go after old folks and kids???
Seriously dude????

You have never been arrested i see...or...you have and were a jerk and it was the cops fault right???

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This is EXACTLY why our LEO are armed with Tasers. Isn't it ?

Remember that our entire system of laws and Government were originally intended to protect the common citizen from Harm.

If our representatives of the Law are themselves Harming Common Citizens for non violent acts then that in itself negates exactly what Government was intended for in the first place.

I practiced martial arts for years and I am certain that I wouldn't need to break someones neck to bring them down into submission. I can close someones trachea with one finger and quickly bring them to their knees.

For the same reason we don't beat up our Wives, Kids and Animals due to their being physically weaker than us.
We don't beat up on Senior Citizens.

This use of Excessive Force is simply another instance of a Bully with a Badge at work.

No Hate intended, just calling it as I see it.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I've had multiple dealings with the police, as a 1%er, and they've never even acted like they were gonna go hands on with me. This was a punk with a badge asserting his "authority" over someone who couldn't possibly be a threat. Do some investigating of your own, and see if the facts don't fall in line.........anymore anyone that could be an actual threat is either tased, shot, or beaten by a gang of boys in blue. They have for the most part lost their integrity when it comes to dealing with the public, and sure have lost their intestinal fortitude. But, nice attempt at apologizing for their abhorent actions.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
It's kinda scary when you realise the police take everything you say so literally....

Seriously, this guy is 84... so he said he was gonna knock the cop out... as if he could.. as if he would.. he was supposedly drunk wasn't he? Being full of p*ss and bad manners is what we call it, doubtful he would have done any damage to a fit young cop even if he did attempt to hit him.

Regardless of what he said, an unarmed old drunk guy is absolutely no threat to an armed, fit, young police officer and he should never have been harmed this way. Especially when according to witnesses the old guy only laid his hands on the cops shoulders - much like most old guys I know when they're drunk and trying to explain something to you in their drunken way lol.

I dunno.. I think cops are awesome for what they do but just as in any profession I guess you get the odd bad seed....

edit on 20/9/10 by damn_ummmm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
when was the last time an 84 year old posed any danger to any cop. For that matter an unarmed one.
WHen was the last time an 84 year old broke a cops neck with his bear hands.

With reasons like this no wonder they need a police state.
Times are changing everyone knows 911 is an inside job. Stop using it as an excuse to sell your police state. We wont let our children march through naked body scanners to please your disgusting fantasies of serfdom.

dem 84 year olds just get out of line and they need to be set strait. Right. Disgusting pigs.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

I've had multiple dealings with the police, as a 1%er, and they've never even acted like they were gonna go hands on with me.

If you were REALLY a 1%er(which I doubt) then they would have had enough respect to not be aggressive as they knew what they were dealing with.

This was a punk with a badge asserting his "authority" over someone who couldn't possibly be a threat.

He has the authority to do so,you might wanna look at something called the law.
You were not there so a blanket statement like that won't suffice.
Read the article.

Do some investigating of your own

No need to,read the article in the op.

nice attempt at apologizing for their abhorent actions.

Why would i apologize for actions that are not mine.

edit on 20-9-2010 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Doubt away my friend.......I'd call it something other than respect. Thanks for editting your post, cause I didn't quite understand the stupid enough part. It's not like they don't all know who we are, so why not admit it.....anyhow, thanks again for the edit. The police in alot of instances are thugs, when they can be, big difference in respect now both ways, the cops demand it, and don't recieve it, ever wonder why.....maybe it's stories like this.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Glad you understood the edit.
Its a patch.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I have an 80-something year old grandfather that put several men in the hospital just about a year ago. He routinely gets into bar brawls and police encounters. Not long ago he fought police officers while in handcuffs, he got away, walked back to his house, had someone cut off the handcuffs and as far as I know they never came back and picked him up.

When he was in his seventies he fell out of a tree and impaled himself on a winch hook. Some guys helped him free himself, he drove his own truck to the hospital, got some stitches and stayed overnight for rest, then he left the next day against doctor orders and never went back.

There are plenty of scenarios where an 84 year old man could get a broken neck either because he was fighting so intensely, or because he was so frail. We can't assume anything.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

The police in alot of instances are thugs

You claim to be a 1%er and call the cops thugs well I know plenty of 1%er's and they are all thugs without being provoked. Most 1%er's I know got to be one by doing something shady and or illegal. I have been around those types for years because they come into my work and I would rather them not be allowed in they are nothing but trouble and until I meet one that isn't a lifetime criminal who thinks they are entitled cause they ride a bike and wear patches on a vest then I will change my mind.

I also live near Orlando and the cops there are jerks and have a reputation for being rough and tough. This guy should have known better esp with his credentials. He should have just complied and not argued. Now do I think the cops breaking an 85 year old mans neck is right? No I dont, they should lose their badge for it. No force that breaks a man's neck is needed like that ESP an 85 year old man.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join