It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4Chan-Coordinated DDoS Attack Brings MPAA Website Down

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

4Chan-Coordinated DDoS Attack Brings MPAA Website Down

news.softpedia.com

Members of the notorious 4chan image board have launched a coordinated a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack against mpaa.org, the website of the Motion Picture Association of America.

The attack began at 9:00 PM EST and is still ongoing. It only took eight minutes for the MPAA website to go down.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
From the article this was the announcement (personal edit to remove tools and other stuff in compliance with T&C)

Why this happened? Hear it from the horses mouth

Last week, Aiplex's managing director boasted in the media that when websites refuse to respond to DMCA takedown notices sent by his company, on behalf of local and international film studios, his team resorts to DDoS.

"[…] We flood the website with lakhs [hundred of thousands] of requests, which results in database error, causing denial of service as each server has a fixed bandwidth capacity," he said.

Aiplex was the original target in 4chan's attack plans, but it was replaced with MPAA at the last moment, because the Indian company's website was hit and taken down ahead of schedule by someone else.

Man I tell you it's not wise to publicly claim you DDOS torrent websites loved by millions of people worldwide.....and if you do make sure this does not happen

The mpaa site is still down lol. You'd think that a company that makes millions suing off pirates would have a site capable of handling more bandwidth lol.

You know what I think about the article, It's another excuse for them to attack 4chan instead of ebaums world, but all I can think is Haaaahahahahahahahaaaaahahahahahaha

news.softpedia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 18-9-2010 by EFGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

Another win. All's fair in love and war.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
That has amused me - cheers for the links.

news.softpedia.com...

Here's the link that tells you about the Indian company being paid by Mpaa.org to launch attacks on torrent sites.

This type of revenge amuses me greatly, knowing that a bunch of directors will be eating humble pie over this one.

Great stuff

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

What are you doing posting articles here?

You can't read! Get back to /b/!

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by EFGuy

Another win. All's fair in love and war.

I'd certainly say they got a taste of their own medicine. Imagine the ego and the boasting by the company's MD...he had it coming and so did the company who hired them. Ebaums World is naughty

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Power to the People! and sweet poetic justice are just two thoughts ( amongst many I may add) that comes to mind..

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Trite But True:
What Goes Around Comes Around
What Comes Around Goes Around
just depends on how you roll

gj

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Snip epic, i read the thread on 4chan yesterday. Good job /b/ros!

edit on 18-9-2010 by cyberjedi because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 18/9/2010 by Sauron because: removed profanity

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Wow, what a stupid move on behalf of the MPAA. Now any of those sites that got taken down by their attacks have a counter lawsuit to any copyright infringement suits they could have filed.

As for their website being taken down, I say meh. Do you really think anybody ever went to it? They should have found a network that's actually vital to the MPAA's operations and DDoS'd that out of commission.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Indeed huzzah to the folks doing this, but the target has little merit beyond symbolism. The target should be changed to their VPN servers and gateway routers. This would prevent them from doing business.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I don't agree with piracy but I disagree with the MPAA's underhand DOS tactic even more. Hats off to the hackers, if the MPAA can't take it then don't dish it

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
Wow, what a stupid move on behalf of the MPAA. Now any of those sites that got taken down by their attacks have a counter lawsuit to any copyright infringement suits they could have filed.

As for their website being taken down, I say meh. Do you really think anybody ever went to it? They should have found a network that's actually vital to the MPAA's operations and DDoS'd that out of commission.

Well in truth, by dealing with a company in India, they (The MPAA) are getting around the usual judicial channels and simply doing whatever they want. The company in India would likely deny or destroy any documents that incriminate the MPAA before these illegal actions could be brought to light. In order for anyone to actually hold the MPAA responsible for the attacks that brought down their website they would need the testimony of this India company. Someone claiming they are being paid by another is hardly proof of any wrong doing.

Now having said all of that, I think that the MPAA is nothing short of a criminal organization, using whatever they can to extort as much as they can from people who have no idea how the technology works being defended by lawyers that know even less. To say you are financially responsible for data transmission from a DHCP served ip address that is in itself prone to spoofing by anyone with the whim and technical ability is so far beyond "reasonable doubt" that it borders on the insane.

..Ex

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
reply to post by mattifikation

Indeed huzzah to the folks doing this, but the target has little merit beyond symbolism. The target should be changed to their VPN servers and gateway routers. This would prevent them from doing business.

I'm sure someone from /b/ is reading this, hope it makes news again tomorrow....

On a personal note, I was piss0red when I went to piratebay and was unable to download halo, hoped somebody would take action - aaarrrgghhhh!!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by I.C. Weiner

My experience in the entertainment industry has shaped my beliefs that electronic products are not the way to make money. Online services are the best route. Provide your primary product (such as StarCraft 2 or Halo) for free and charge a fee for the "online" aspects. When I buy a CD that's a one time thing for me. I will burn that CD to an ISO and keep a dozen backups of it. But I cannot "backup" online access.

The same goes with music and movies. Performance is key. People will always pay to watch a movie in a comfortable seat with a acoustically sound (pun intended) theater. That is where the money should be made. In performance. (MPAA cannot get much money this way, though... sucks to be them..lol)

Anyway. just my $0.02 worth.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
MPAA?

Sure must Snip being an abusive, bloodsucking mega association caught with their pants around their ankles these days..

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 18/9/2010 by Sauron because: removed profanity

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
You reap what you sow. They started to attack websites and now they're getting some back.
for 4chan.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Oh, sweet, sweet justice. Power to the people!

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Here's the link that tells you about the Indian company being paid by Mpaa.org to launch attacks on torrent sites.

This type of revenge amuses me greatly, knowing that a bunch of directors will be eating humble pie over this one.

I somehow suspect that the fact that 'they're' strategy was used against them for free when they paid for it is an irony that will be lost...shame...perhaps it is time to spam the world with dictionaries and self awareness...

Silly monkeys...

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Next we have to drive them into bankruptcy by learning to rely solely on pirated content.

Hollywood will go down with them.

Power to the people is right.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join